• Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (4) (resized).JPG
photo (1) (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Came across someone with a "Capt. Fantastic" (commercial model) in their basement. Game plays with some issues. Needs cleaning and shopping, but pretty decent all around cosmetically. Seller seems to be fairly anxious to get it out. What's a fair offer on it? Bally guys???

#2 6 years ago

At least in So Cal, there seems to be lessening interest in CF compared to years ago. Auction prices for readily available EM titles seem to be dropping (unless they are in exceptional condition). What used to easily be a $1500-$2000 pin, seems to be closer to $800-$1000 these days. Obviously, condition is King so prices go up or down accordingly.

If it is truly an 8 all around, I would think an offer around $500 would be fair since it sounds like it needs a number of hours of TLC. Captains tend to have an area in the blue above the Drop Targets that goes bad as well as losing paint around the bonus inserts. If this example has a better than average playfield, then it still might be a $600-$800 pin.

#3 6 years ago

I see price tags of $1000-$2000 on these things all the time, but they don't seem to sell. $1000 or less in nice shape, and it would probably move.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

At least in So Cal, there seems to be lessening interest in CF compared to years ago. Auction prices for readily available EM titles seem to be dropping (unless they are in exceptional condition). What used to easily be a $1500-$2000 pin, seems to be closer to $800-$1000 these days. Obviously, condition is King so prices go up or down accordingly.
If it is truly an 8 all around, I would think an offer around $500 would be fair since it sounds like it needs a number of hours of TLC. Captains tend to have an area in the blue above the Drop Targets that goes bad as well as losing paint around the bonus inserts. If this example has a better than average playfield, then it still might be a $600-$800 pin.

I was thinking about $500. It does have wear around the bonus inserts and a few other places, but overall, the playfield is about a 78/100. The cabinet is about the same, and the backglass appears to be perfect as they usually are. Shopped and playing right, what would it fetch with no cosmetic work?

#6 6 years ago

sold this Captain Fantastic last fall. I asked $1,200 at a show and got no offers. Brought it home and put it on Mr. Pinball priced at $1,000. It sold for $900.

photo (1) (resized).JPGphoto (1) (resized).JPG

photo (4) (resized).JPGphoto (4) (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

I agree with 500-700. People were trying to get big dollars for this machine and its just not much of a player compared to others. Art is pretty good so if its in good shape bring it home to stare at it when its lit up!

#8 6 years ago

It's a looker for sure, I would buy it for $600~700... But then, I really like mid-70's Bally EM's

#9 6 years ago

I had a beautiful one about 3-4 years ago that was working 100% and clean and struggled to get $800 for it. From then on I stay away from them because there too hard to sell. Never was sure why people were so fascinated with the game. Great looking backglass but it ends there.

John

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I was thinking about $500. It does have wear around the bonus inserts and a few other places, but overall, the playfield is about a 78/100.

$500 sounds about right. If it were 79/100, I might go up to $600.

#11 6 years ago

Decided to pass on it. I agree with it being a looker, but not much of a player. I could make a few bucks on it, but I just don't have the time, and have enough projects already. Thanks to you all for your input.

#12 6 years ago

It was the home model right? No coin door?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Quoted from jrpinball:

"Capt. Fantastic" (commercial model)

#14 6 years ago

Well I see that, and YOU see that, but most of the other comments on here seem to be thinking it's the coin op one, so I just wanted to verify.

I feel like most of the estimates for value are pretty high if it's the home version.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

It was not the home model......

#16 6 years ago

Ah, I see. The home one says it's "Commercial Quality."

Confused me a little there.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Well I see that, and YOU see that, but most of the other comments on here seem to be thinking it's the coin op one, so I just wanted to verify.
I feel like most of the estimates for value are pretty high if it's the home version.

Everyone in the discussion thus far was talking about the full commercial model, not the home model. There was no question as to which one was being discussed as far as I can tell.

#18 6 years ago

Yeah, I got crossed up. NBD.

#19 6 years ago

Yep, the coin-op arcade version. I wouldn't go anywhere near the "home model" unless it was free or dirt cheap. Once got an "Alive" for free because the guy was going to chuck it if I didn't take it. Got it working, and made a few bucks on it.

#20 6 years ago

Heh, not sure if that was intentional or not given the title of the game

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Heh, not sure if that was intentional or not given the title of the game

Yeah, I almost wrote "dirt cowboy" cheap!

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

I didn't pursue it, but a friend went and got it for $600.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cf-basement-find-whats-it-worth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.