(Topic ID: 243001)

Ceramic Pro

By Extraballz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A7A510C-4C16-42C4-BF2E-79F35F8E56F9 (resized).png
    D6C6534C-4255-42E5-A138-D81EFEE9E696 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Has anyone hear looked into a product called Ceramic Pro to protect playfields? It has a hardness/scratch resistance of 9H which is pretty damn tough. It is permanent so would need to be done right first time Could this have a similar result to the old Diamond Plate finish? Just something to think about. US Navy uses it for some applications.

#2 4 years ago

I have the more expensive version from Modesta on my car and its amazing.

#3 4 years ago

Mirco Playfields use a ceramic clear coat on their playfields. Not sure how similar it is to other ceramic clear coats on the market though.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ilushka85:

I have the more expensive version from Modesta on my car and its amazing.

I have Opticoat ceramic on my car and I concur...amazing stuff. But ceramic coat isn't really impact or scratch resistant. No more than a good coat of wax is. So not sure the value on a PF.

#5 4 years ago

I,m just moving past auto applications for clear and thinking about other industries that may need a super tough clear. Military,Aerospace etc. However those industries might have special permission from the government to use more toxic materials to get the desired results. I,m just curious about everything that’s out there. Who knows. Sometimes you find something better than the current standard.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I have Opticoat ceramic on my car and I concur...amazing stuff. But ceramic coat isn't really impact or scratch resistant. No more than a good coat of wax is. So not sure the value on a PF.

The stuff I looked at had a scratch resistance of 9H. That’s pretty tough stuff. Like I said might not be feasible but I,m just spitballing here.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

The stuff I looked at had a scratch resistance of 9H. That’s pretty tough stuff. Like I said might not be feasible but I,m just spitballing here.

https://avalonking.com/blog/the-truth-about-ceramic-coatings/

9H is better than nothing, but it's not impervious to scratches. I'm not knocking your idea...it's a good one. Just not sure how well it would apply to a steel ball.

"Most newer coatings for cars are typically rated 9H on the pencil scale. This is the highest possible scratch resistance, however… 9H Ceramic coatings for cars are not thick or flexible enough to absorb the impact of a rock hitting your paint at highway speed or to resist against someone purposely trying to scratch your car."

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

https://avalonking.com/blog/the-truth-about-ceramic-coatings/
    9H is better than nothing, but it's not impervious to scratches. I'm not knocking your idea...it's a good one. Just not sure how well it would apply to a steel ball.
    "Most newer coatings for cars are typically rated 9H on the pencil scale. This is the highest possible scratch resistance, however… 9H Ceramic coatings for cars are not thick or flexible enough to absorb the impact of a rock hitting your paint at highway speed or to resist against someone purposely trying to scratch your car."

Appreciate the input. I feel like I heard most auto clear is like 2-4H but maybe more flexible which might be needed.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Appreciate the input. I feel like I heard most auto clear is like 2-4H but maybe more flexible which might be needed.

The biggest advantage of ceramic on a car vs wax is that it lasts for years 3-10 depending on the coating and thru washes. Pinball playfields are not exposed to the same elements as cars like rain car washes and sun. So I doubt it would be any better than wax or the standard clear coat. Wax typically stays on a playfield for a long time and given the cost of a good ceramic coating I doubt it’s longevity on a playfield compared to wax makes sense.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ilushka85:

The biggest advantage of ceramic on a car vs wax is that it lasts for years 3-10 depending on the coating and thru washes. Pinball playfields are not exposed to the same elements as cars like rain car washes and sun. So I doubt it would be any better than wax or the standard clear coat. Wax typically stays on a playfield for a long time and given the cost of a good ceramic coating I doubt it’s longevity on a playfield compared to wax makes sense.

The ceramic coat I,m looking at is permanent I believe. I think there are lesser versions that are more like a wax/sealant. What I,m (and probably everybody else) looking for is the unicorn. Something closer to the old Diamond Plate finish. Technology in coatings can change over time so it’s good to always be on the lookout.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

The ceramic coat I,m looking at is permanent I believe. I think there are lesser versions that are more like a wax/sealant. What I,m (and probably everybody else) looking for is the unicorn. Something closer to the old Diamond Plate finish. Technology in coatings can change over time so it’s good to always be on the lookout.

Having done ceramic coatings on multiple of my exotic cars none are permanent and ceramic pro is nowhere near the best of the available coatings for longevity or otherwise.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ilushka85:

Having done ceramic coatings on multiple of my exotic cars none are permanent and ceramic pro is nowhere near the best of the available coatings for longevity or otherwise.

On there website they say the 9H version is a permanent solution although they use 4 coats for lifetime warranty. Says the only it comes off is with abrasion/sanding. And I,m not saying I,ve checked out all the ceramic coatings out there. Ceramic Pro 9H is the first one I saw.

#13 4 years ago

Here you go.

D6C6534C-4255-42E5-A138-D81EFEE9E696 (resized).pngD6C6534C-4255-42E5-A138-D81EFEE9E696 (resized).png
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Here you go.[quoted image]

It’s all marketing. They provide lifetime warranty when applied by a dealer and it’s next to impossible to get anything from them. No coating lasts a lifetime. It will probably last forever in a pinball machine. But wax lasts pretty long too

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ilushka85:

It’s all marketing. They provide lifetime warranty when applied by a dealer and it’s next to impossible to get anything from them. No coating lasts a lifetime. It will probably last forever in a pinball machine. But wax lasts pretty long too

I doubt it’s all marketing. Ceramic coatings like this were originally designed by NASA so I don’t believe they are all hype.They also have light version of this product that last a couple years I believe. This is the ceramic coating I was already aware of and was hoping for a more durable version. I,m not looking for better wax. I,m looking for better clearcoat or alternative although not sure a heavy duty ceramic coating could be used as a stand alone clear but it seems like some of these higher end ceramic coatings are actually bonded to your paint/clear which could be much better than wax.Like I said this product might not work at all but I,m interested in a better mousetrap.

#16 4 years ago

Also an industrial version.

8A7A510C-4C16-42C4-BF2E-79F35F8E56F9 (resized).png8A7A510C-4C16-42C4-BF2E-79F35F8E56F9 (resized).png
    #17 4 years ago

You wouldn't use this type of product without first clear coating. Ceramic coatings are really just meant to improve a car's ability to resist water, dirt, bugs, etc. It makes it a lot easier to clean. They are essentially to clear coat what clear coat is to paint. It will only protect against the most minor types of scratches, like maybe using a dirty microfiber cloth. But for any meaningful types of wear, it will do almost nothing -- that's not what it's for.

As for pinball, the only real advantage it may have is keeping the playfield clean and it would likely speed the ball up incredibly, the ball may even start to slide instead of roll. It would be worth trying, but probably not too much value. The ball will beat the hell out of it. And they don't last forever, no matter what the manufacturer says. On a car you will get several years out of it, but on a pinball playfield I imagine it'd wear rather quickly. At least where the ball travels.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

I doubt it’s all marketing. Ceramic coatings like this were originally designed by NASA so I don’t believe they are all hype.They also have light version of this product that last a couple years I believe. This is the ceramic coating I was already aware of and was hoping for a more durable version. I,m not looking for better wax. I,m looking for better clearcoat or alternative although not sure a heavy duty ceramic coating could be used as a stand alone clear but it seems like some of these higher end ceramic coatings are actually bonded to your paint/clear which could be much better than wax.Like I said this product might not work at all but I,m interested in a better mousetrap.

The prior poster wasn't inferring that the product is all marketing. It's the warranty that is all marketing. Lots of companies now offer "lifetime" warranties, that are nowhere near lifetime. So many exclusions, pro-rates, limitations, it's near impossible to get a claim. Same with those cheap surge protectors you buy from Monster. The warranties are hardly ever honored. Here's a link to Ceramic Pro's warranty. Pay attention to the limitations, exclusions, etc.

https://ceramicpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/CP-AfterCare-Warranty-Digital.pdf

I thought this one exclusion was funny...This is under what they DON'T cover "Swirl marks, marring, scratches, scuffs, scrapes, chips to the painted surface, hard water spots". Isn't that what this product is supposed to prevent??

#19 4 years ago

Oh well....back on the hunt. Anyone in here work at NASA. Lol.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ceramic-pro?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.