(Topic ID: 275015)

Ceramic coating on playfield?

By cysnake

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Dont know if this has been covered before, but has anyone tried one of these spray on ceramic car products like shine armour on their playfield? It seems to be safe on all kinds of surfaces, and looks pretty good on my truck too, lol!

#3 3 years ago

following

#4 3 years ago

Mirco has used (or offered a ceramic clear) as an option years ago. I had a Mirco reproduction TZ playfield with ceramic clear on it. It did not hold up well, very brittle. Unsure if they still use a ceramic clear coat now.

#5 3 years ago

Was thinking the same a while back, so asked Mr. Kruzman if he ever used it...his reply below:

"I have used ceramic and it is hard as a mutha, the problem is you can't work it. You can't block it and then polish it, you can't really even compound it, it's so fricken hard. so I stopped using it."

#6 3 years ago

I think there are 2 different products people are talking about. The coating the op is asking about is more like a wax. The other is a clear that gets exceptionally hard, I think a few automakers experimented with it as a scratch resistant coating.

1 week later
    #7 3 years ago

I worry about Shine Armor as it is water based. Wonder if it would swell the playfield or since you wipe most of it away there would not be enough moisture to do any damage.

#8 3 years ago

Ceramic War Wax is also water based.

Ingredients CAS Number Function
    Water 7732-18-5 Diluent
    Polyalkylsiloxane with Functionalized Silica Withheld as CBI Film Former
    Light Aromatic Hydrocarbons 64742-47-8 Solvent
    C12-16 Alcohols Ethoxylated 68551-12-2 Surfactant
    Organo-modified Silicone Withheld as CBI Water Repellent
    Light Aromatic Hydrocarbons 8052-41-3 Solvent
    Triethanolamine 102-71-6 Neutralizer
    Acrylic Polymer Withheld as CBI Film Former
    Isopropanol 67-63-0 Solubilizer
    Benzyl Benzoate 120-51-4 Fragrance Component
    Bronopol 52-51-7 Preservative
    Acid Blue 9 3844-45-9 Colorant
    Methylchloroisothiazolinone 26172-55-4 Preservative
    Methylisothiazolinone 2682-20-4 Preservative

#9 3 years ago

Hmm, I'll stick to using 2PAC.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ceramic-coating-on-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.