• Latest reply 8 years ago by stef34
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160102_150424[1]_(resized).jpg
20160102_145610[1]_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arizonabruce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I clear my own PF's, I was concerned about the ceramic clear-coat not being flexible as the wood expands and contracts. I asked an automotive painter friend of mine without prepping him why I was asking the question... "How do you think a ceramic clear would work on wood?" His words exactly... "I don't know, I'd be concerned about it breaking the bond due to the expansion and contraction of the wood"

So I did some research on it and as it turns out there are two types of ceramic clear..
-----------------------
From Dr. Ghodoussi...

After the "cerami"clear top coat is sprayed, the nano particles of Fumed Silica (SiO2), which are synthetically engineered, migrate to the top 0.2 mils of the clear coat as it is curing.

If you remove this potion of the clear layer of paint, the paint under it will be much softer and will not polish out or react the same way the nano particle portion did or would.
You will at some level have compromised the the finish on the car.
----------------------

If you re-clear over the above type of ceramic clear coat you would negate the benefits of the ceramic, on a plus note since the ceramic is only on the top .2 mil you may not have the bonding issue, so essentially it becomes a normal playfield and you wasted your money.

The other article I read (but can't find it right now) mention a second type of ceramic that does additional cross-linking throughout, now this probably wouldn't suffer from the thin skin issue above, but may have the issues of flexibility with wood breaking the bond... So what does this mean? For me at this juncture the downside outweighs the possible upside, my opinion may change, time will tell.

That said, I happen to have acquired a ceramic clear AFM that while not installed has been curing for at least 2 years. I noticed raised inserts and substantial clear-coat shrinkage around the inserts and the wood in general as well. An untrained eye would notice, a new, shiny PF and say... "It's good to go" but I know that the ball rolling over those raised (albeit smooth) inserts will eventually chip. so I (wet) "color sanded" and buffed with an 8" 3M black rubber hard block" and 2000 grit sand paper until the PF was smooth as it started to level cracks around the inserts became apparent, this is what I would expect with this level of clear shrinkage, I continued to sand until they were all gone. I hypothesize that as the ball rolls over the inserts and hits the non-flat inserts it wears the clear down to these cracks, this is the point where the insert chipping begins much like a run in a stocking it just keeps chipping... by leveling (sanding) the PF past this point up front I'm hoping the "run in the stocking" never begins...

After sanding flat, buff with a rotary buffer (not orbital) @ 2000rpm, a yellow Wool pad and 3m Perfect-it III (06085) to raise the shine....

Questions to ask...
What brand of clear is Mirco using?

Other notes...
Since I leveled the PF, if Mirco is using the clear that has the scratch resistant coating only on the top .2 mill, then I sanded off all the protection essentially leaving a regular PF and while it wouldn't have the scratch resistance it also wouldn't have the potential bonding issue... If it was the second type of clear with extra cross-linking throughout I still have scratch resistance but potential bonding issues... either way in my opinion it needed to be level, sobeit...

ArizonaBruce
AZB

20160102_145610[1]_(resized).jpg20160102_145610[1]_(resized).jpg
20160102_150424[1]_(resized).jpg20160102_150424[1]_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago
#4 8 years ago

OK, you're putting ceramic on as the last two coats as it should be, good! So you have regular clear in contact with the PF which would bond and flex with the wood and the ceramic on top of that minimizing the scratches. I was referring to people who put an additional coat of regular clear over the ceramic, that would be a waste of money, because they would get no benefit from the ceramic underneath since the ball would be riding above it... By the way to clarify I'm not saying that ceramic has a problem overtime with wood... I'm saying because of the hardness, logic dictates it might... just don't know... Can anyone chime in that has had a ceramic PF (from Mirco or otherwise) regarding ceramic PF wear, chipping, ghosting etc.

Arizona Bruce
AZB

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Wanted
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arizonabruce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ceramic-clear-coat-observations-and-thoughts?tu=arizonabruce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.