Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D898AE9A-50C9-4EC7-BA29-1271535259FA (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Just watched a utube video of “The Twilight Zone” which features a ceramic Power Ball. Thought it would be cool to see how an EM would play with one. Looks like they weigh about half of a normal pinball. Anyone tried it? Just ordered one from Marco(not cheap)

#2 5 years ago

Yeah, put one in a Fast Draw for a league party a while back. It didn’t make a huge difference but it did play much faster. Fast Draw is relatively open in the playfield, might make a bigger difference on a playfield with more stuff to bang off it....

#3 5 years ago

Ceramic ball is 90% weight of a metal ball if I recall. I have one in my Interflip Dragon. Easily the party favorite because of it. But I would not suggest it on most games. Pick and choose your battles lol

#4 5 years ago

Normal ball weight = 80grams
    Powerball weight = 60-61grams

#5 5 years ago

Played a Bally Eight ball at the York show with a power ball... ball got hung up in the left entrance gate... that left lane with the spinner and access to the top rollovers is an important aspect of the game, so in this case it just didn’t work.

#6 5 years ago

Globalls will do the same thing you're looking for as well, and should be around the weight of a powerball.. I use one in my Crescendo because it's UV reactive.

https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-glo-balls?variant=1314805788

#7 5 years ago

I have a white Glowball in my Hot Line and it plays like lightning.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Ceramic ball is 90% weight of a metal ball if I recall. I have one in my Interflip Dragon. Easily the party favorite because of it.

I've played this and it's super fast and fun!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Played a Bally Eight ball at the York show with a power ball... ball got hung up in the left entrance gate... that left lane with the spinner and access to the top rollovers is an important aspect of the game, so in this case it just didn’t work.

That had nothing to do with the ceramic power ball but instead the steepness of of the game.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Just watched a utube video of “The Twilight Zone” which features a ceramic Power Ball. Thought it would be cool to see how an EM would play with one. Looks like they weigh about half of a normal pinball. Anyone tried it? Just ordered one from Marco(not cheap)

Yes, you should put them in all of your EM’s. It will instantly increase the fun factor and no more slow and floaty play.

#10 5 years ago

I have a Powerball in my Paragon and my Play ball. I find it fun!

#11 5 years ago

Question to all of you. Is there any concern of breaking PF plastics or parts? I would think that flipping a lower weight ball may have more of a tendency to get lift and hit targets harder. I have broken a drop target and a standup target in the past with a steel ball.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Question to all of you. Is there any concern of breaking PF plastics or parts? I would think that flipping a lower weight ball may have more of a tendency to get lift and hit targets harder. I have broken a drop target and a standup target in the past with a steel ball.

I’ve had ceramic balls in my games for well over a year and they get played often. No broken plastics yet.

#13 5 years ago

Sorta related question. Anyone know if there is a reasonable substitute for the ball that is used in the manikin bowlers? (Evans, Williams, Benchmark, etc.) Needs to be steel core so the magnet holds it in place but coated with ceramic would be ideal. Replacing the shiny steel bowling ball with a colored one (or swirled!) would look so much better. Maybe there is a process available to do this?

#14 5 years ago

$50.00 ?????? That’s crazy.

D898AE9A-50C9-4EC7-BA29-1271535259FA (resized).pngD898AE9A-50C9-4EC7-BA29-1271535259FA (resized).png
    #15 5 years ago
    #16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

$50.00 ?????? That’s crazy.[quoted image]

Fwiw, that’s what the original ones cost from WMS back in the day. I bought a couple from the local distributor in case a game was missing one when I finally put it into my collection.

#17 5 years ago

Unless someone starts making standard pinballs that might soon be the cost for a regular ball.

PS: Half joking, but it could be an issue in the near future. I'm probably going to get a tumbler because of it.

#18 5 years ago

That had nothing to do with the ceramic power ball but instead the steepness of of the game.

Not following.. why would the playfield angle affect the ball hanging on the left entrance gate? The power ball obviously had the inertia to clear that gate 100x over... you could tell when playing that the entrance gate functioned inappropriately when the power ball slammed into the gate flap...I’d be more inclined to believe it’s more about the design of the gate flap hardware in combo with the physics of the much lighter, non-stock ball in motion; these games weren’t designed or tested with lighter balls... I’m sure this isn’t the only negative fallout from other games when using the lighter ball.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the game with the lighter ball.

2 years later
    #19 2 years ago

I know this is an old thread... I just bought a powerball / navi-ball from pinball life and put in my Buccaneer and I like this game a whole lot more..

#20 2 years ago

I actually did have one in a Williams Big Ben to mess around. It’s a good intro game so not the fastest EM, but with voltage bump and the ball, that game was fast!

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I know this is an old thread... I just bought a powerball / navi-ball from pinball life and put in my Buccaneer and I like this game a whole lot more..

Thanks I might try that on mine.

I might pull the one from my TZ rather than use a NOS one I have laying around. Can you even prove one way or another if they are NOS or reproduction?

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Thanks I might try that on mine.
    I might pull the one from my TZ rather than use a NOS one I have laying around. Can you even prove one way or another if they are NOS or reproduction?

I'm not sure what the differences are between them. I've seen prices all over the place. Pinball life had the best price. I will say that playing with a white ball takes a bit to get used to. Its an expensive experiment, so if you have one already in a game, try it first. I also put one in my Magnotron and I don't think it made that one any better. I only played a few games with it, but still couldn't hit anything and the ball drains even faster

#23 2 years ago

I put a Power Ball in my Whoa Nellie.
    It could be me, but it appears even faster!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ceramic-ball-in-an-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.