5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D898AE9A-50C9-4EC7-BA29-1271535259FA (resized).png

#1 5 months ago

Just watched a utube video of “The Twilight Zone” which features a ceramic Power Ball. Thought it would be cool to see how an EM would play with one. Looks like they weigh about half of a normal pinball. Anyone tried it? Just ordered one from Marco(not cheap)

#2 5 months ago

Yeah, put one in a Fast Draw for a league party a while back. It didn’t make a huge difference but it did play much faster. Fast Draw is relatively open in the playfield, might make a bigger difference on a playfield with more stuff to bang off it....

#3 5 months ago

Ceramic ball is 90% weight of a metal ball if I recall. I have one in my Interflip Dragon. Easily the party favorite because of it. But I would not suggest it on most games. Pick and choose your battles lol

#4 5 months ago

Normal ball weight = 80grams
    Powerball weight = 60-61grams

#5 5 months ago

Played a Bally Eight ball at the York show with a power ball... ball got hung up in the left entrance gate... that left lane with the spinner and access to the top rollovers is an important aspect of the game, so in this case it just didn’t work.

#6 5 months ago

Globalls will do the same thing you're looking for as well, and should be around the weight of a powerball.. I use one in my Crescendo because it's UV reactive.

https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-glo-balls?variant=1314805788

#7 5 months ago

I have a white Glowball in my Hot Line and it plays like lightning.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

Ceramic ball is 90% weight of a metal ball if I recall. I have one in my Interflip Dragon. Easily the party favorite because of it.

I've played this and it's super fast and fun!

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Played a Bally Eight ball at the York show with a power ball... ball got hung up in the left entrance gate... that left lane with the spinner and access to the top rollovers is an important aspect of the game, so in this case it just didn’t work.

That had nothing to do with the ceramic power ball but instead the steepness of of the game.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Just watched a utube video of “The Twilight Zone” which features a ceramic Power Ball. Thought it would be cool to see how an EM would play with one. Looks like they weigh about half of a normal pinball. Anyone tried it? Just ordered one from Marco(not cheap)

Yes, you should put them in all of your EM’s. It will instantly increase the fun factor and no more slow and floaty play.

#10 5 months ago

I have a Powerball in my Paragon and my Play ball. I find it fun!

#11 5 months ago

Question to all of you. Is there any concern of breaking PF plastics or parts? I would think that flipping a lower weight ball may have more of a tendency to get lift and hit targets harder. I have broken a drop target and a standup target in the past with a steel ball.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Question to all of you. Is there any concern of breaking PF plastics or parts? I would think that flipping a lower weight ball may have more of a tendency to get lift and hit targets harder. I have broken a drop target and a standup target in the past with a steel ball.

I’ve had ceramic balls in my games for well over a year and they get played often. No broken plastics yet.

#13 5 months ago

Sorta related question. Anyone know if there is a reasonable substitute for the ball that is used in the manikin bowlers? (Evans, Williams, Benchmark, etc.) Needs to be steel core so the magnet holds it in place but coated with ceramic would be ideal. Replacing the shiny steel bowling ball with a colored one (or swirled!) would look so much better. Maybe there is a process available to do this?

#14 5 months ago

$50.00 ?????? That’s crazy.

D898AE9A-50C9-4EC7-BA29-1271535259FA (resized).png
    #15 5 months ago
    #16 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

$50.00 ?????? That’s crazy.[quoted image]

Fwiw, that’s what the original ones cost from WMS back in the day. I bought a couple from the local distributor in case a game was missing one when I finally put it into my collection.

#17 5 months ago

Unless someone starts making standard pinballs that might soon be the cost for a regular ball.

PS: Half joking, but it could be an issue in the near future. I'm probably going to get a tumbler because of it.

#18 5 months ago

That had nothing to do with the ceramic power ball but instead the steepness of of the game.

Not following.. why would the playfield angle affect the ball hanging on the left entrance gate? The power ball obviously had the inertia to clear that gate 100x over... you could tell when playing that the entrance gate functioned inappropriately when the power ball slammed into the gate flap...I’d be more inclined to believe it’s more about the design of the gate flap hardware in combo with the physics of the much lighter, non-stock ball in motion; these games weren’t designed or tested with lighter balls... I’m sure this isn’t the only negative fallout from other games when using the lighter ball.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the game with the lighter ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 279.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside