Topic poll

“If you could only have one of these two games, which would it be?”

• Atlantis 17 votes
    45%
  • Centigrade 37 21 votes
    55%

(38 votes)

#1 2 years ago

They're rated so close to each other on the EM Top 100 (Centigrade 37 #6, Atlantis #12), they have very similar playfields, they're both one player EMs. How similar are they in gameplay? In rules?

If you could only have on of these two classic EMs, which would you go for and why?

#2 2 years ago

I own Atlantis but I give nods to C37.

#3 2 years ago

I'm a sucker for the thermometer. C37.

I also like the scoop shot at the top right. And I think the art is better.

I keep thinking of reasons...

#4 2 years ago

Why hasn't anyone ever compared these two games before?!

Atlantis has more challenging gameplay and C37 has better art/features for me. I've owned both and in the end I'd opt for C37 if I could only have one.

More info here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-vs-centigrade-37

#5 2 years ago

The general consensus from most long time collectors including myself is C37, predominantly on gameplay, art, backbox animation, and design. Most pinball declared discussions are a circle from the past, this comparison is no exception. If it helps, great. A lot of collectors just own both.

#6 2 years ago

For me it is Altantis, the double drop target shot for 5K is such a satisfying shot, it is a real players game... The art package is definitely better on C37 but my ratings always lean to the better player and Atlantis just has a better rule set and fun shots on it. Drop target heaven. You really can't go wrong on either game.

#7 2 years ago

I have both and love both! I would have to say my favorite out of the two is Atlantis though. More targets and slightly better rules. The double target shot is one of the best and working the number sequence 1-9 can be harder than it looks. There is so many different ways to beat the game including turning on the stand up targets and trying to knock out numbers to advance to specials. I think the art on Atlantis is pretty good too.

#8 2 years ago

Whoops, didn't see that - my bad.

Mods can delete this thread if they feel its redundant.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Whoops, didn't see that - my bad.
Mods can delete this thread if they feel its redundant.

No worries. The comparison of C37 and Atlantis (like numerous other subjects) seems to come up periodically on Pinside and other forums. I'm sure because they're both widely considered to be great EM games and are highly sought after as a result.

Just wanted to make you aware of the other thread link, if you weren't already, as it contains a lot of good input on this topic.

#10 2 years ago

I've had both of these great players in my collection for 10+ years. It's sometime impossible to choose which one is a better player or which one to choose if you can only pick one for your EM collection. Really you can't go wrong with either one. Having both makes life easier.

#11 2 years ago

I too have both titles in my collection. I Like the C-37 and defiantly play it more. but the Atlantis is a great game to. as said before the big bank of drops and the challenging out lanes make it a favorite for me .

Gun to my head. I keep the Atlantis just a more challenging game to play the C-37 is to easy to beat .

my 2c

Sir Brian of Ortonville

#12 2 years ago

I have both. I do prefer the game play and the artwork on C37. Atlantis is a close second in this race. Of course, I prefer Volley to both Atlantis and C37...

1 month later
#13 2 years ago

I've been doing a little more research and want to add another choice to the mix - Sheriff.

Basically a four-player version of Atlantis it seems. I like the art package a lot better than Atlantis, but see its ranked #101 versus #13 for Atlantis and #3 for C37 for EMs. Is the gameplay that much worse?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I've been doing a little more research and want to add another choice to the mix - Sheriff.
Basically a four-player version of Atlantis it seems. I like the art package a lot better than Atlantis, but see its ranked #101 versus #13 for Atlantis and #3 for C37 for EMs. Is the gameplay that much worse?

Not worse, just different. Like any Milti player game the entire playfield resets after each ball, and there is bonus on Sheriff too .
I personally don't like Sheriff, the art work just kills it for me .

S B O O

#15 2 years ago

Atlantis all the way - C37 is way too easy

#16 2 years ago

To me, this isn't really that close. C37 is a great looking game. But Atlantis is good looking also, and game play is Atlantis all the way.

Now, if you want to go to Atlantis vs. Jacks Open, then you're closing the gap significantly.

I don't know if I'd buy a C37 or not. I have both Atlantis and JO and they're just so close...

#17 2 years ago

Have yet to roll Atlantis. I think 83k is my high score. Volley is very fun, been able to score over 200k regularly. Never had the opportunity to play C37. Beautiful game. Hope to own it one day.

#18 2 years ago

One of these games you can 'own', but the other one 'owns you'. Atlantis!

#19 2 years ago

Regarding gameplay, Atlantis is the game with legs. It will always be challenging. It is my desert island EM game.

C37 is much easier to overcome, whether on 3 ball or 5 ball. In terms of game play it is a B game where Atlantis is an A game. The art and thermometer on C37 makes it a B+/A- game.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Regarding gameplay, Atlantis is the game with legs. It will always be challenging. It is my desert island EM game.
C37 is much easier to overcome, whether on 3 ball or 5 ball. In terms of game play it is a B game where Atlantis is an A game. The art and thermometer on C37 makes it a B+/A- game.

What about dollar for dollar? Atlantis and Sheriff are basically the same playfield, different art, single player versus mutli-player. Atlantis is getting to be a pretty expensive game, but Sheriff is a bit more reasonable still. Is there enough of a gameplay difference to justify the extra coin for Atlantis?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

What about dollar for dollar? Atlantis and Sheriff are basically the same playfield, different art, single player versus mutli-player. Atlantis is getting to be a pretty expensive game, but Sheriff is a bit more reasonable still. Is there enough of a gameplay difference to justify the extra coin for Atlantis?

Absolutely. Atlantis is worth the extra dough.

A similar comparison would be El Dorado/Gold Strike vs. Target Alpha/Solar City. There is no intention to insult anyone that appreciates these multiplayer games but TA/SC have nothing to compare to ED/GS. Same goes for Atlantis - Sheriff or Lawman don't cut it.

#22 2 years ago

I've played both and I own C37. I agree that C37 is ridiculously easy. But I think it's good to have some easy games in your collection for when people come over. Nobody has any fun when they're getting their ass kicked by every game you own.

The art on C37 is nicer as well (I don't think it's even a contest). But Atlantis is clearly the more challenging game and will last longer in a small collection.

#23 2 years ago

I own both Atlantis and Lawman. Both fun, but as stated, ruleset is completely different. Lawman as most other multi-players is 3-5 single ball games (exceptions for extra ball games that hold over features). Atlantis as also repeated many times, has very challenging and rewarding game play. I recently had perhaps my best (most lucky?) game with 8 replays, and still didn't roll it over. Lawman/Sherriff is a great value and worth owning, especially if you can't find or afford an Atlantis. Oh yea, and C-37 is fun, great looker, but way too easy.

#24 2 years ago

My record was 8 wins too I believe, 99xxx something points. Arghh! I too have yet to roll 'em. I will play it a bunch of times, lose, then play a more friendly game..but I always come back and Atlantis gets played more than most. I get tired of all the winning! hehe

1 year later
#25 1 year ago

A year later and a lot has happened. Within four moths both Atlantis and C37 found their way into my basement. Both in great shape, both fun to play. Side by side, I had to give the nod to C37. It's just such a pretty game in comparison to Atlantis.

The gameplay is a little harder to nail down. Atlantis seems very hard, with the left outlane so wide open it gobbles up the ball regularly. On the other hand, C37 appears too easy, where you can roll the score fairly easily.

In the end, I couldn't keep them both, so I had to let Atlantis go. With that said, I'm glad I had the opportunity to have and play both for a while. I'm now on the lookout for my next wedgehead.

#26 1 year ago

There's a fine line between them and still have both in my collection. If I had to let one go it would be a tough call. I really like the Atlantis because of the Special when lit feature. Three ways to get special awarded is awesome.

#27 1 year ago

Game play wins out for me on Atlantis over looks of C37. C37 was just too easy to beat. I still have Atlantis and sold off C37, ACD & JO.

#28 1 year ago

Every game has its strengths & weaknesses. Atlantis & C37 are seminal EM machines with standout features. My visitors love C37 because it just has eye catching appeal whereas IMO Atlantis has game appeal. But no need for a choice you need both!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
2,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 20.00
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 7,499.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
€ 279.00
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 15.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside