• Latest reply 7 days ago by NeonNoodle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 7 days ago

Trying to get a Gottlieb Centigrade 37 going again after it sat for a few years. It had been working. It powers on with cabinet switch and GI lights come on. When credits are added via either of the coin chute switches (it's set to take quarters) they register on the credit unit as the score motor runs for 1/4 turn and then stops. So far so good...

Start button is then pressed and all score reels zero, as does the ball count unit, AND the credit unit (that doesn't seem right if there are say, 10 credits showing on the credit wheel) and the score motor just keeps running and running. I have the schematic and have checked the score reels, the ball count unit and also the series of RED-YELLOW wire switches on several relays and 1C on score motor (section 16 on schematic) but am coming up with nothing after two days of stopping and then coming back to it. Am I even focusing on the right area? Is the credit wheel zeroing a clue? Any guidance would be appreciated!

#2 7 days ago

Exactly how far is it getting through the startup process as spelled out on page 2 of the Centigrade 37 manual?

pasted_image (resized).png
#3 7 days ago

Answer Howard's question, and I'll add this: I had a Gottlieb machine do the same thing to the credits - it would go to zero credits every time. What I found was that the mechanism was binding, which meant the dog could not return fast enough to stop the credit wheel from going to zero. After taking everything apart and cleaning, it worked fine.

When removing the arm, there is a bolt that looks like a screw with a large head. On the other side of the screw is also a nut. You need to remove the nut before unscrewing the screw. Now, the bad part: Sometimes the screw is staked before being bolted, meaning that you will likely break the screw. So, before doing that, get the screws. PBR has them, but there are two different sizes and Steve will not be sure what size you have, so its best to order both sizes, along with a spare set. You may end up having to rebuild another stepper unit.

You may be able to dribble some alcohol or something in the screw pivot area to get it going, but the fix will be temporary.

Good luck, let everyone know your progress.

#4 7 days ago

Thanks very much for posting that HowardR. It was getting through step 4....and the problem turned out to be nowhere near where I was spending my time. It was the outhole switch. The plastic hole switch arm under the playfield was broken and was not actuating the ball return switch.

And thanks also for that info Bill....I think that's exactly what is happening. The credit unit is all gummed up, as is the ball count unit, so both will need attention. Not sure if a sticky ball count unit will produce no ball in play or game over lights which is now happening, but at least I got it working and will continue to work my way through the machine.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!