Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by currieddog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

When the game starts, the score resets to 0, the thermometer resets, one game subtracts, the ball count resets, drop targets reset but the game over light stays on and the ball does eject not to the plunger. I've reviewed every post I could find and checked everything I could check based on those posts. Everything seems to be in order but I'm obviously missing something. The one thing I'm not sure of is what is meant by the "ball roll tilt switch" which was mentioned in a previous post. For what it's worth, everything except the second coin settings had been working great. I tweaked something (I believe it was on the Start Relay) that fixed that problem but now I can't get past Game Over. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Ball roll tilt switch is just that: usually on the left side of the cabinet and meant to "tilt" if you pick up the machine in the front. The ball will roll up its cage and make electrical contact, setting off the tilt relay.

Quoted from OneMajrPITA:

but the game over light stays on and the ball does eject not to the plunger.

Do you mean that the ball is not set up to the plunger?

With the Game Over light staying on, it sounds like your Q (Game Over) relay is not resetting. Check the relevant switches.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. Found the ball roll tilt. Thanks. That is open and does tilt the machine when engaged. My Q relay is labeled as the 500 Point And Add Advance Relay. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Hold Relay does not stay energized once the Start Relay releases. If I press on the Hold Relay to keep it engaged I can the the game started but as soon as you let go of the Hold Relay the Game Over comes back on. And yes, sorry. I did mean that the ball is not set up to the plunger.

#4 6 years ago

The hold relay should be energised all the time, once a game starts and goes to game over so the machine has it's GI on all the time.

If you have a schematic, look at the start routine to see how the hold relay gets itself energised upon starting a game from cold

Could the coil on the hold relay if it looks very toasty as these are very common in burning up over time, being constantly energised. Could be that, if it's very burnt, it's not got enough strength to do it's job.

#5 6 years ago

Q is 500 pt. and Add Advance? Hmmm. What is the Game Over relay? Both of my Gottliebs from the same time have the Game Over relay involved with the Game Over light. Do you have a schematic?

#6 6 years ago

I do have the schematic. The Hold relay energizes with the Start relay and stays on until the Start process is completed. One set of contacts on the HR is supposed to energize itself and the are Anti-cheat switches are in line with it. They seem to be working correctly. The HR doesn't look toastier than the others, but I know what you mean. It does hold during the Startup. Can you tell me what voltage holds the relay closed? Just occurred to me that if it's low at the HR contacts, it may point me toward the problem. Not sure if the schematic calls out that voltage, but I can verify that tonight. I'll also see if I can find the Game Over relay but I believe it's handled by the Ball Count relay and the Hold Relay. I will confirm tonight.

Thanks again.

#7 6 years ago

A multimeter reading on that coil should be 1.5 ohms or above. If you look on the left side of your schematic you'll find all the relays and their names/letters.

#8 6 years ago

Back in business! Once I knew what the "ball roll tilt switch" was, it was easy to see that the schematic showed that it needed to be closed for the HR to stay energized. It was not. So I jumped it closed to test and everything started working again. Not sure how it ever worked for me, since the "ball" part of the switch was never in place, but it's working now.

Thanks for your help. It's a great feeling to go from Game Over to ringing bells.

#9 6 years ago

Yay! but that is pretty weird that that tilt switch was involved.

#10 6 years ago

Weird, indeed. I spent some time looking at it last night. Not sure how this works on other machines, but the tilt ball closes the the switch which closes that part of the HR circuit AND it enables the tilt plumb rod. It's all very interesting. I can post that segment of the schematic if you'd like to see it.

#11 6 years ago

In thinking about it now it makes some sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centigrade-37-full-reset-but-game-over-stays-on?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.