1 FS OR-GR (resized).jpg
ae095a7f2881c4d2a0b573a8a7842ac68e162d2a (resized).jpg
4_Drop_SW_TD (resized).jpg
3_Drop_SW_TU (resized).jpg
C37 (resized).png
Centigrade 37 A relay (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello fellow Pinside members,

I am having problems with my Centigrade 37. The lights do not alternate as they should. I have given all the info I thought could help as briefly as I can. I have also made a video showing the odd behavior and the relays mentioned below. Any help is much appreciated - and it’s o.k. to explain things to me like I’m a child. =) 

Here is a video showing the issues and relays mentioned below.
Thanks very much.

The Problem
* Centigrade 37 lights not alternating correctly
* Intermittent behavior
* Sometimes they work as expected
* Sometimes lights do not alternate at all
* Sometimes they will flicker - rapidly alternating back and forth several times when they should only alternate once. (See video)
* When in this “rapid flicker mode,” I’ve noticed the A-Relay under the playfield firing off and on (See video)
* Sometimes a gentle rap on the apron, side of the cabinet or engaging a flipper will produce the rapid alternating effect. (See Video)

Things I’ve Noticed
* Noticed that rapid flickering seems to be controlled/influenced by the A-Relay (See Video) 
* My “AS-Relay” is labeled “FS
* The AS (FS?) Relay appeared to be in good shape (copper was clean and wiper moved freely) before cleaning it. 
* The contacts on the switch stack in the AS (FS?) Relay appear to show a build-up of matter - the contacts are not flat as I’d expect.
* The Match function works properly.

What I’ve Done About It
* Tried a variety of scenarios to reliable replicate the malfunction and cannot
* Read forums related to this issue
* Reached out privately to a very helpful Pinsider, MIKEO, who shared tips on refurbishing the AS-Relay (Thanks, @mikeo)
* Removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, reinstalled the AS-Relay as indicated in Pinsider @ccotenj thorough guide found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-as-match-stepper-rebuild-step-by-step

Just Wondering…
* From what I’ve read, the AS-Relay seems responsible for the alternating lights, but the A-Relay under the playfield seems to have a role as well
* The innermost return lane on the left side doesn’t trigger most of the time - no scoring, chime, or activate the alternating lights. Under normal operating conditions, I’d expect this switch to alternate the lights when the ball rolls over it.
* Could the issue be related to this malfunctioning return lane? Perhaps a malfunction in the switch on the return lane is sending (or not sending) correct signals to trigger the A-Relay properly?

My Mechanical Background
* I can identify main parts of EM pinball machines.
* I can successfully make a halfway-decent solder connection.
* I can operate my toaster without burning my bread 98% of the time.
* I am willing and eager to learn.

This is my first time posting on a Forum. Please forgive me if I’ve not followed the correct protocol - I’m learning all kinds of new things! Thanks again.

#2 3 years ago

I must give lots of kudos here for your post. Nice! The video was well done. Damn near professional. While I am by no means a tech guru it would appear that by your knocking on the cabinet you may very well have either a dirty or mis adjusted switch but I’m thinking you probably already know that. I’m interested to learn what the solution may be so I will be following. I am picking up a c37 tomorrow

Sorry I could not help more

#3 3 years ago

There is something in the alternating relay’s circuit that is barely hanging on by a thread for it to be so vibration-sensitive. My guess it is probably the make-break switch that is on one of the drop targets. I believe it is the one nearest the front. It would be susceptible to vibrations from tapping on the apron.

Good video.

C37 (resized).pngC37 (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

The A/Alternating relay is responsible for switching between the two sets of lights as you've observed, but the FS/00-90 Unit relay is part of what drives the A relay on and off:
Centigrade 37 A relay (resized).jpgCentigrade 37 A relay (resized).jpg
The two Make/Break switches in red toggle back and forth as you play and when the closed sides of each switch are in the same path the A relay fires. It may be that the gaps in either of those two switches are too small so that playfield vibrations are enough to get the switch to close briefly when it should be open and briefly fire the A relay.

The switch on the FS/00-90 Unit relay is probably mounted between the two PC boards and following a black cam on the wiper shaft. Double checking the wire colors from the schematic would confirm that.

The other switch is mounted to a drop target. I don't know which one but again checking the wire colors will identify it.

For both switches watch the long middle or traveling blade move between the two shorter, outer blades as you activate the device (the FS relay or the drop target). If the gaps between any of the blades seems too narrow you can carefully bend the shorter blades at their base to increase the gap. As long as the traveling blade can reach the shorter outer blade with just a bit of over travel or wipe, the gap isn't too big.

The A/Alternating relay is running on DC instead of AC and there is a chance that the capacitor or diodes aren't right, but let's stick with the switches for now.

/Mark

#5 3 years ago

Hey! Thanks very much for the information leckmeck and MarkG . I appreciate the quick, thoughtful responses and inclusion of schematics. I'll be honest, it'll take me a few careful reads to understand completely, but I get the general idea and feel like I know where to look.

I'm excited to dig in. Hopefully it'll be working fine this weekend!

#6 3 years ago

Posting to document the process and running by those who know more than me before I go bending stuff.

I think I might have found something.

Picture 1) I took a look at the FS switch to verify the OR-GR and OR+GR wires were connected there.
1 FS OR-GR (resized).jpg1 FS OR-GR (resized).jpg

Picture 2) At the Drop Target closest to the flippers, I found the Drop Target SW OR-GR and OR+GR wires.
2_Drop_SW_OR-GR (resized).jpg2_Drop_SW_OR-GR (resized).jpg

Picture 3) Drop Target Switch with drop target above playfield
A - The plastic piece on all other similar switches sits on the lowest blade - no gap.
B- Contacts don't appear to be having the best of connection possible
C - Top blade has previously been bent
3_Drop_SW_TU (resized).jpg3_Drop_SW_TU (resized).jpg

Picture 4) Drop Target Switch with drop target down. Other contacts touching.
4_Drop_SW_TD (resized).jpg4_Drop_SW_TD (resized).jpg

MarkG you mentioned adjusting the middle blade, but because of what appears to be a malformed top blade, I'm guessing I'd need to adjust the top blade to a position that would keep it relatively flat and close the gap between the plastic piece and the lowest blade. (photo 3 "A")

Thoughts?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from spacehonky:

B- Contacts don't appear to be having the best of connection possible
C - Top blade has previously been bent

That could be it.

Looking more carefully at your video it seems that the chattering of the A relay happens when the A relay is active. In other words it briefly relaxes then quickly re-energizes. I suspect the opposite is not true, that it doesn't briefly energize when it's normally inactive.

If that's the case the problem would be that a switch that should be closed to keep the relay active may be briefly opening because there isn't enough tension to keep it closed across assorted vibrations, or that the contacts are dirty. If that theory is correct and the drop target switch you show is the problem I suspect that you only see the problem when that drop target is up and that the problem goes away once the drop target falls.

The switch blade (or leaf) on the drop target switch with the plastic spacer does appear to be too far away from the other blades. Ordinarily you'd only adjust a switch blade at its base. But since that blade looks somewhat mangled and curved I'd first straighten it out (the blades should all be pretty straight), then bend it at its base so that the plastic spacer rests on the other outer blade. Then adjust the middle blade as necessary so that each of the outer blades can touch and push back slightly on the middle blade as the target raises and lowers. You might also try cleaning the contacts by slipping a piece of paper between the contacts, gently pressing the contacts together and pulling out the paper. Repeat that a few times until the paper comes out clean.

Note that in most Make/Break relay switches the center blade is longer than the other two and travels between them. This switch is a less common arrangement where the two outer blades travel and the center blade is stationary.

#8 3 years ago

OR-GR =====> orange with a green tracer
OR+GR =====> orange and green mottled

ae095a7f2881c4d2a0b573a8a7842ac68e162d2a (resized).jpgae095a7f2881c4d2a0b573a8a7842ac68e162d2a (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

OR-GR =====> orange with a green tracer
OR+GR =====> orange and green mottled

I appreciate the clarification. I almost got in a philosophical debate with myself as to whether I was looking at Green with Orange or Orange with Green.

Apparently I not only missed the order of the "OR" and "GR", I also didn't notice the "+" and "-" indicators.

I'll correct the labeling to help prevent any future confusion.

Thanks for your help.

#10 3 years ago

MarkG did a very nice explication of Gottlieb wire colors - it's worth a read:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-wire-color-trivia

#11 3 years ago

Happy to report that the problem is solved.

While straightening and adjusting the Drop Target Switch, I happened to notice a broken solder connection on the Bottom Target Switch.
Bottom Target Broken Solder  (resized).jpgBottom Target Broken Solder (resized).jpg

When the bottom target is hit, the lights alternate. It appears the wires leading to the switch were making contact intermittently depending on vibrations made to the playfield. I'm guessing each time contact was made it was activating the alternating relay.

I've played about 20 games since soldering the wires back to the switch and all seems good.

Thank you all for your input and insights. I learned a bit about reading schematics, tracing wires through the machine, rebuilding a mini-stepper, adjusting switches, and careful observation.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for posting the resolution. It is amazing to me how often this very same problem comes up.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centigrade-37-alternating-lights-issue-remains-after-attempt-to-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.