View topic image gallery

leaf (resized).jpg
IMG_1155 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpg
IMG_1148 (resized).jpg
Image-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_1150 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

For whatever reason, my brain glazes over when trying learn more about EM support. I bought a game awhile back because the lure of the chimes and the challenge to learn more about EM pinball repair. The chimes still work their magic, but my game has never seemed to need serious repair. Absent of a needed problem to fix, I tried to learn about EMs in general and have only mustered apathy. For example, I devoured the This Old Pinball videos on solid state, but fell asleep during three separate attempts to view an EM one. It's like trying to teach a baseball fan cricket. Despite a mostly honest effort, I've remained an EM noob.

My C37 receives the least play of my collection and maybe that's why I did not notice the lighting issue was so pronounced. I was recently watching an online game play video and noticed that the insert lights alternate on every hit. It's not just rollovers, but the pops too that cause the change. Mine does not seem to work that way.

This expertly captured video shows how the lights function on my game:

When I turn my game on the lights will switch and after a few games they will flicker on the rollovers, but not the constant swapping that it seems they are supposed to do. My match number also does not automatically change at the end of each game.

From what I've read in the other threads about this issue, it seems like this part in the image below is the culprit, but I'm not sure if I am right or what is wrong with the part. I partially disassembled it and cleaned everything that looked like a contact. I think the only change is that the light flicker more frequently now on a rollover.

As I mentioned, the lights do swap when I start a game, so it's capable of working at least partially.
Image-1 (resized).jpgImage-1 (resized).jpg

It looks like their might be a broken piece of plastic on the assembly for the gears. Could that be the issue? If so, where would I even get that part?

IMG_1150 (resized).jpgIMG_1150 (resized).jpg
IMG_1155 (resized).jpgIMG_1155 (resized).jpg
IMG_1148 (resized).jpgIMG_1148 (resized).jpg
IMG_1149 (resized).jpgIMG_1149 (resized).jpg

Any suggestions on how to perform this kind of basic EM repair or point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

You're at the right place.

The broken part on the actuator plate may or may not contribute to the problem. Wouldn't hurt to replace it. It comes as a plate with the nylon seat already riveted on.

The switch on the unit that follows the cams is supposed to change state every time the relay indexes. That cog in the seat is supposed to turn the spindle. The wipers on both ends of the spindle have a habit of getting clogged up.

Obviously your relay is not turning the wipers. Need to determine if the wipers are clogged or if the cog is not able to actuate the spindle.

Look for other posts on rebuilding AS relays here on Pinside.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm looking at the correct part, but it's a mixed blessing. I've tinkered with the part to no positive effect and everything I read is that it's a pain to dial in. I'm worried that with the armature to hold the drive finger in place cracked and missing a piece on one side, it might never play nice without a replacement. Of course, it seems the A14044 is not available.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#4 6 years ago

Along with the wipers there is also a contact opened and closed with ever step of the AS relay, this will be your alternating. you can see it to the left of the gear in a couple of your pics. But yeas these things are a pain and need to be properly cleaned to operate smoothly. This also should be doing your game over match.

#5 6 years ago

Here's a good guide with pics on servicing this mech:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-as-match-stepper-rebuild-step-by-step

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. That will be most helpful.

I've done a couple partial disassembles and cleaning, but I'm going to try a full tear apart tonight.

My biggest concern is still the broken plastic on the armature that causes the drive finger to wobble. I just wonder if this ever can aligned with the necessary precision with a broken (unavailable?) part.

#7 6 years ago

I'm sure Pinball Resource could help with another plastic armature.

Jody

#8 6 years ago

The worst case scenario is to buy a used AS relay for that part. They come up on ebay from time to time.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

The worst case scenario is to buy a used AS relay for that part. They come up on ebay from time to time.

Looks like I might be going that route. My total tear down, clean, and reassembly had no discernible impact.

Something that just occurred to me, but can anyone tell me if these switches are supposed to be closed at rest or gapped?

on the windon the wind

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Looks like I might be going that route. My total tear down, clean, and reassembly had no discernible impact.
Just a shot in the dark, but can anyone tell me if these switches are supposed to be closed at rest?

That's a make-break switch. The contacts on the middle switch should alternate between touching the top or bottom, never both at the same time.

#11 6 years ago

in that position the top contact should be open

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Something that just occurred to me, but can anyone tell me if these switches are supposed to be closed at rest or gapped?

If you want to send it to me I can probably get it functional. I have a spare score motor and transformer, where I can wire up the A level and pulse these AS relays to ensure they are stepping

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for all the offers and assistance!

I was so focused on the broken plastic and needing to clean everything, I shot past what is now obvious... Gaps are important.

My eyes are worse than I thought. It took the zoomed in pic to even notice that the stack seemed off.

Blinky lights are back and the anorexic scoliosis twins are once again fully functional.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Thanks for all the offers and assistance! . . . Blinky lights are back . . .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centigrade-37-alternating-lights-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.