Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6310 (resized).JPG
IMG_6317 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_dude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

My Evel Knievel has had this problem for years - if you "nail" the center stand up target with a hard direct hit, the ball bounces off but does not register a hit. However if it is hit by the ball a bit less directly, a bit softer or at an angle, it always registers the hit with chimes and scoring. I have cleaned and adjusted the switch behind the target but still no change. I am now thinking it is something else, on the boards or the electronics that are the problem. Anyone have any ideas how to diagnose where the problem is that prevents recognizing a fast/hard/direct hit ?
Evel Knievel

Either the small ceramic capacitor on that switch is missing, or has failed. The capacitor is there to stretch the pulse produced by the switch closure, meaning even with a very hard/direct hit it will still get picked up.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Yup, capacitor definitely the most likely culprit but, I have to ask, how did you clean the switch. Did it involve filing contacts like you would do for an EM?

Well, it could be that it's one of the 155 EM Evel's, but unlikely!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

Thanks for the advice -- just to ensure I understand you -- which one is ceramic ? The green one ? The one in the machine I will remove and install the green one but across the switch contacts not the diode contacts if I understand correctly (assuming the green one is a good replacement and polarity is a non-issue?)
Sorry for asking such basic questions, I have not worked with capacitors much before and don't want to screw things up.

The original ceramic cap (brown/disc) is incorrectly installed: Should NOT be in parallel with the diode, but across the two blades of the switch (at least one leg needs to be on the right-hand blade, and likely it should be the left-hand leg moved to the right-hand blade). Possibly your original cap is not faulty, just mis-installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_dude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/center-target-on-evel-knievel-direct-hit-not-registering?tu=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.