(Topic ID: 238212)

Center posts on Stern games - when was the last one?

By westofrome

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Is Spiderman (2007) the last Stern game with a center post, or am I missing something?

Have center posts been basically costed out? Or has there been a conscious or unconscious effort to design games that, in the mind of the designers, don't need them?

#2 5 years ago

Wheel of Fortune had one, it is still 2007, but I believe it came out after Spiderman.

As for why, I have no idea.

#3 5 years ago

Spiderman VE was the last Stern with a centre post.

It'd be good to have one on Ghostbusters.

As for cost, it's not an issue. $1 for parts and a few more dollars for labour costs to install?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Spiderman VE was the last Stern with a centre post.
    It'd be good to have one on Ghostbusters.
    As for cost, it's not an issue. $1 for parts and a few more dollars for labour costs to install?

Never underestimate how much Stern is watching literally every penny, and how much they push to further homogenize every game. Look at the cabinet corner plate fiasco.

Kiss and Ghostbusters are two that really should have had them.

#5 5 years ago

Why would Stern keep the center post when they have made the outlanes so much easier then 90s outlanes

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Kiss and Ghostbusters are two that really should have had them.

Ghostbusters is a Trudeau game and he’s known for big flipper gaps. Do you think CFTBL should have had one? I don’t. Ghostbusters has brutal outlanes but the feeds are right to the flipper so if you learn the feeds it’s a great game.

IMHO no way kiss needs a center post. The drains are outlanes all day on that one.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Ghostbusters is a Trudeau game and he’s known for big flipper gaps. Do you think CFTBL should have had one? I don’t. Ghostbusters has brutal outlanes but the feeds are right to the flipper so if you learn the feeds it’s a great game.
    IMHO no way kiss needs a center post. The drains are outlanes all day on that one.

They had to program a ball save every time Gene kicks the ball out! In competition players just let it drain every single time. Cheaper than a center post (or a VUK/wireform return) for sure.

I don't think CFTBL needs one, but I'd argue GB has far more successful shots that return SDTM pretty often.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

They had to program a ball save every time Gene kicks the ball out!

The gene head lockout can be adjusted, but often isn’t. A center post IMHO isn’t a good fit for that game.

For ghostbusters a successful shot to either orbit returns to the flipper; as does the ramp. The real nightmare is having the ball bang off the inland guide and moonwalk out the outlane.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/center-posts-on-stern-games-when-was-the-last-one?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.