Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

friendlys (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 6.55.51 AM (resized).png
IMG_2442 (resized).JPG
IMG_2439 (resized).JPG
IMG_2438 (resized).JPG
IMG_2435 (resized).jpg
IMG_2434 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

* UPDATE: Rob has made good on settling up with me and I appreciate it.

Two weeks ago I purchased this Centaur for 3850.00 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-centaur-2#postbox

As you can see in the photos and ad for this game it claims it is in awesome original shape above average condition and shopped. Unfortunately, IMHO it is none of these things. In my attached photos you can see that two unnecessary holes are drilled all the way through the playfield behind the ORBS drop targets, I can't see how anyone could shop this machine and not take note of such a thing nor disclose it in their ad asking beyond top dollar (Pinside currently quotes 3200.00 as the games estimated value) for a classic machine.

In hindsight, I should have seen the red flags, the seller/s told me they needed my money within 24 hrs or were likely to change their minds on selling the machine as they were trying to fund a bulk pin purchase and didn't necessarily even want to sell the game. I went ahead and sold my Centaur to a friend with an uninstalled CPR gold PF and set of mirrored plastics to fund the purchase, I was very eager to get an original untouched playfield with day 1 factory installed mylar (my present one was decent but had some noticeable touchups on the PF).

My contact with the sellers was always rushed and I get it; everyone is busy but I requested photos with the glass off and never received any. When the game arrived at first I was pretty sure I had gotten exactly what I expected but upon a quick initial inspection I was soon bummed to not only find the holes in the playfield but that upon launching a ball that the upper lane guides were flopping around. Several of the screw holes on the game are stripped! The lower Left lane guide is also affected, not sure how anyone who supposedly shopped a game (or was selling what they claimed to be a shopped game) wouldn't at least stick a few toothpicks in there so it would effectively pass a play test with flying colors. Also, anyone that had done a play test would have immediately noticed these problems, it just showed me no shits were given.

Lastly (I hope) after wondering why it was such a bitch to close I realized that the coin door is concave, kinda looks like someone probably kicked it at least once during it's life

When questioned about the games undisclosed issues it quickly went to a "well, it was at the other guys house and I never looked at that game talk to him" when I called the other guy it was "I never claimed it was shopped I think the guy I got it from shopped it" ???!!? Needless to say at this point I am just beside myself at the level of apparent shadiness, whether it waspurposeful or accidental (of course people miss things or make mistakes). The present claim on the sellers end is that "we'll make it good or buy it back". After discussing with some pin peers what I should ask for discount wise the amounts of 800-1000 were the funds mentioned, when I suggested the amount of a 1000.00 refund to go towards the purchase of a CPR playfield I was told they'd buy it back instead. I pointed out that they also owe me 483.00 for shipping the game on top of the 3850.00 I paid them, if they ship it back they'd be at nearly 1000.00 regardless.. smh

Not sure how this will play out, supposedly they are going to make a decision today and get back to me. At this point my patience is beyond thin and I made the stupid decision (all my own) to sell my other Centaur so I'm out because I gambled on a wish.. Just bummed as this was the first and perhaps last time I've purchased a game on Pinside. Anyone have any thoughts to share or constructive feedback? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
KHL

IMG_2434 (resized).jpg
IMG_2435 (resized).jpg
IMG_2438 (resized).JPG
IMG_2439 (resized).JPG
IMG_2442 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

This is unacceptable, and the people who sold it are dishonest.
I would never purchase from this or these people, they are both in on it, and both obviously profited from it.
I am sorry this happened to you.

#3 2 years ago

Pretty sure those holes would have been obvious when they changed the plastics!

#4 2 years ago

Sorry this happened to you... as they say, caveat emptor.

You can play the hell out of it, or sell it and eat your loss, and chalk it up to learning - then look for a better Centaur. This has happened to me a couple of times where I thought I was getting a super condition game for a great price, and it turns out I overlooked a few key things.

#5 2 years ago

Send it back.

#6 2 years ago

Send it back - even if you have to eat the shipping, it would be better than being stuck with a $2500 Centaur. It's just going to make you mad every time you look at it.

#7 2 years ago

KHL, very sorry to hear of the stress and disappointment. I hope everything works out in the end, and you eventually end up with a great Centaur keeper. You deserve the best.

Having said that -- I want to underline a few key points you made:

Thank you for sharing about this experience with the community to reinforce a few principles that pinsiders should consider for their next long-distance purchase.

My takeaways would be:

* actively look for red flags; when you lust for a new game overrides common sense, step back, take a deep breath and get your control back
* trust your instincts; where there's smoke...
* pressure is a red flag; pinsiders are generally not in a hurry to sell (as in "today" hurry)
* ask for 25+ great closeup photos; anyone not willing to invest 10 minutes to sell a game, where I'm risking $500 in transport costs, isn't worth my time, that's a person with zero empathy. red flag.

-mof

#8 2 years ago

This isnt the first time I have seen this seller involved in a situation like this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-can-i-do-if-machine-is-as-described

#9 2 years ago

Well..this sucks and I wouldn't be happy at all. Is it that hard to be honest? I expect that stuff on craiglist not from a fellow pinsider. Feel bad for ya and hope you get this resolved.
-Mike

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Well..this sucks and I wouldn't be happy at all. Is it that hard to be honest? I expect that stuff on craiglist not from a fellow pinsider. Feel bad for ya and hope you get this resolved.
-Mike

True.

At least future buyers have been warned.

Hopefully, all works out for the OP.

#11 2 years ago

Thats sucks, sorry to see/hear that.

#12 2 years ago

Fwiw I bought a totan from this seller. It had been newly decaled and when it came to me, the decals had bubbles all over them. It was explained it must have happened in transit. Yeah ok.

#13 2 years ago

Heard some of the same things as well.

#14 2 years ago

Send it back. That playfield looks pretty beat all over, mylar or not. Not worth even $2500

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Fwiw I bought a totan from this seller. It had been newly decaled and when it came to me, the decals had bubbles all over them. It was explained it must have happened in transit. Yeah ok.

Unfortunately, you have to be really careful when transacting business in this hobby.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Send it back. That playfield looks pretty beat all over, mylar or not. Not worth even $2500

I agree, send it back -----> Rockland bound. It's unfortunate that you had to learn another lesson too.....don't sell the bird in the hand.

#18 2 years ago

Would never buy from this seller. Thanks for posting your experience, not the first I've heard.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I got to agree here. I didn't even notice the holes at first, what I noticed was that it was an original yellowed playfield. For that price it better have a new CPR playfield along with every other new part on it. While I don't condone the seller for what they did, I have to say that you should have done some better negotiating for a game with a yellowed playfield and then perhaps you wouldn't have felt so burned when you got the game with holes in it as well. Just my two cents.

John

#20 2 years ago

Thank you so much for revealing who the pinsider was who misrepresented this game. It makes me nuts when someone starts a thread about how they were done wrong and refuse to say who it was.

#21 2 years ago

Yeah I bought a earthshaker from the guy and when I received it it was nothing as described he said that all it needed was a power supply and that was so false and needed a hell of a lot more work than that he said the cabinet was good and one side was totally plank but buyer beware.. I would never buy another game from him people on the site think he's the greatest thing and they all kisses his ass what a joke..

#22 2 years ago

Yeah that messed up, someone who sells the volume of pins he does should have noticed and disclosed the holes drilled in the playfield.

#23 2 years ago

I'll just chime in to say I've had excellent experiences buying games from this seller. The pins I bought were well represented in the ad, but I also picked up in person. Four hours each way to buy them, so I would've been a bit upset if I got there they weren't as described, but in my instances they were.

Feel bad for the OP, sure sucks being excited for something new and then having issues. Seems like something can be worked out though.

#24 2 years ago

I had a good experience as well.
I did see this Centaur when advertised, and saw that yellow pf and thought, no way.
I would take him up on his offer.

#25 2 years ago

Send it back , no brainer. 100% misrepresentation.

#26 2 years ago

Bought a lot of games from this guy. Over a dozen over a period of about 18 months or so. At first the games I was getting were IMHO better than described, but I had to fix some stuff. To buy from him you had to be able to fix things to make them right. It seemed as time went on the game conditions were getting further and further from description. I started getting games I paid almost top dollar for that wouldn't even play when I got them and after a few ball buster problems I decided it was time to stop buying from him. Maybe He just got so busy that games went out the door that should have been gone over a bit more thoroughly. I don't know. I just looked at it like this. I bought a shit load of games from him and I was looking for a little better treatment especially since I bought like six at time.
Im not much of a complainer (even when I should be) I just fix the damn thing and be done. But I needed to stop buying from him.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I got to agree here. I didn't even notice the holes at first, what I noticed was that it was an original yellowed playfield. For that price it better have a new CPR playfield along with every other new part on it. While I don't condone the seller for what they did, I have to say that you should have done some better negotiating for a game with a yellowed playfield and then perhaps you wouldn't have felt so burned when you got the game with holes in it as well. Just my two cents.
John

I'm first in line for your Centaur with new playfield and new everything for $3800

OP, sorry that you had a bad experience. I have bought a couple of games from Rockland pinball and they have been accurately represented. I will say that just the pics alone should have told you the playfield condition. It didn't look great at all in the pics to me. I agree that if you are unhappy contact Rob and send it back. I've had nothing but positive interactions with Rob.

#28 2 years ago

Ouch New York to Oregon. That's tough.

I bought a 1 year only model bumper for my big car and the bumper was DEFINITELY not the one in the pictures. I called and his answer was "so what you are 3000 miles away"

#29 2 years ago

Thx! Appreciated.

Quoted from Wyopinball:This is unacceptable, and the people who sold it are dishonest.
I would never purchase from this or these people, they are both in on it, and both obviously profited from it.
I am sorry this happened to you.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from goochos:

This isnt the first time I have seen this seller involved in a situation like this.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-can-i-do-if-machine-is-as-described

Post #40 in that thread, he says they will issue refunds. Tell them they need to honor that.

Not sure why anyone on Pinside pays retail prices anyway....

#31 2 years ago

Jeez.....dented coindoor is one thing, but those holes in the playfield are an entirely different matter. Shouldn't that have been part of the "better info and pics to interested persons" as mentioned in the description?? No way those were unnoticed or overlooked.

#32 2 years ago

Ok, just read the thread w the guy who had issues buying the Shadow.. I thought I was buying from a collector and not a retail shop as that's how it was represented. Good grief, had no idea I was dealing with such a misrepresented pin.

#33 2 years ago

Normal fade is one thing and expected, holes are an entirely different issue. Regardless, honesty is the best policy and I don't believe that I got a straight deal.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Post #40 in that thread, he says they will issue refunds. Tell them they need to honor that.
Not sure why anyone on Pinside pays retail prices anyway....

And yet that post has 70 up votes. Maybe because he says he will refund. Ask for your refund.

#35 2 years ago

Ok, I'm going to take some heat on this one but I have to do it. Let's start with it sucks that you didn't get the machine you were lead to believe you were getting. We have all had this happen and it sucks. With that said I'm throw out some hard truths in the hopes that people who are getting torches and pitchforks ready will slow down a bit and take a breath.

So....your telling us you had, arguably, the best classic bally pinball machine of all time with a brand new CPR gold playfield, out of print mirrored plastic set, and the availability of all the parts to do a HEP quality restoration and sold it on the hopes, HOPES of getting a better "original" centaur that obviously had at the very least a yellowed playfield?

What would the game have had to look like to be worth the what you gave up for it? Maybe that is the best ORIGINAL centaur they have ever had. Is "shopped" the default drop down when making an add?

I think we all try and get the best game we can even getting multiple copies of the same game to get the one we think is the best. At this point, your NEVER going to like that machine even if you completely restore it. Best to get out of it by either starting over or trading it for your original

A centaur in that shape in my area has gone for over $3000. You have an altek mpu, looks like the board work for the sound has been done, and the backglass looks damn good. Your going to have to eat the shipping but I don't think an $800 refund is out of the question or something close to that.

Sorry your first/last deal on pinside sucked but your going to have to take a little responsibility on this one too.

#36 2 years ago

Are you able to get your old Centaur and parts back?

#37 2 years ago

Fair enough, thx. Seller claimed they will eat the shipping, let's see if they keep their word.

Quoted from Tallon:Ok, I'm going to take some heat on this one but I have to do it. Let's start with it sucks that you didn't get the machine you were lead to believe you were getting. We have all had this happen and it sucks. With that said I'm throw out some hard truths in the hopes that people who are getting torches and pitchforks ready will slow down a bit and take a breath.
So....your telling us you had, arguably, the best classic bally pinball machine of all time with a brand new CPR gold playfield, out of print mirrored plastic set, and the availability of all the parts to do a HEP quality restoration and sold it on the hopes, HOPES of getting a better "original" centaur that obviously had at the very least a yellowed playfield?
What would the game have had to look like to be worth the what you gave up for it? Maybe that is the best ORIGINAL centaur they have ever had. Is "shopped" the default drop down when making an add?
I think we all try and get the best game we can even getting multiple copies of the same game to get the one we think is the best. At this point, your NEVER going to like that machine even if you completely restore it. Best to get out of it by either starting over or trading it for your original
A centaur in that shape in my area has gone for over $3000. You have an altek mpu, looks like the board work for the sound has been done, and the backglass looks damn good. Your going to have to eat the shipping but I don't think an $800 refund is out of the question or something close to that.
Sorry your first/last deal on pinside sucked but your going to have to take a little responsibility on this one too.

#38 2 years ago

This one sounds like a better deal.....and closer too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-centaur-6

#39 2 years ago

OK guys,

thanks for the bashing. I offered to take the game back immediately as I was away when the whole transaction escalated. I took a personal responsibility and apologized. Its that simple.. well, then all the name calling started. and all the insults.

we sell a lot of machines at very reasonable prices to many people on this site, and I have always been as super honest and descriptive as possible. yeah sometimes shit goes wrong and we always make good.

but c'mon with the accusations and the band wagon jump. most of our transactions are pretty smooth

#40 2 years ago

I must admit just hearing the word Rockland gets my hair up. Every experience I've had with Rob was unpleasant. The 1st time I agreed to drop off a pin at his shop that was going to be shipped with 3 other pins to someone across the country. I spoke with him and told him the reason why I had agreed to help deliver the pin was to make it easier to group ship and that I was interested in his Congo and wanted to see it in person. I drove a beautiful Gilligan's Island up to Rockland only to find out that Rob didn't have the Congo at the shop after all. He didn't have the time or couldn't be bothered to bring it from his warehouse up in NY. He told me he thought I be much more interested in his No Fear?! When we took the pin out of the car he commented "Oh this IS a nice G. Island!" The best part of the whole experience was meeting Greg and his daughter as he was shopping a Scared Stiff. I drove home upset only to find out from the guy across the country that Rob tried to sell him a beat up Gilligan's for cheaper when he heard he was buying mine. This was after I spoke with him and told him I sold the game and was going to deliver to his shop?!!

A couple of months pass and one Friday afternoon I get a message from Rob that he has that Congo ready at the shop and there's a bunch of interest in it, if I want it I have to act now. I looked at the few pics he sent and told him ok I'll hold her with a 300 deposit and I'll pick her up Sunday. I paypal him and then decide after I talked with him to let him know I sent the deposit that I need better pics. He started describing cabinet separation and if I remember correctly some kind of plate attached on the side of the pin. When I received more detailed pics I realized that for the price he was charging I would want a nicer example of the game. I asked for the deposit back and although he wasn't pleased he refunded me the cash. I apologized for wasting his time.

You think I would have figured by now to just steer clear of Rob but the desire to own that next target pin got the best of me again. I contacted him for a RBION he had for a good price and wanted to know if he would accept my Roadshow for trade. I had a nice example with no fish wear or cabinet fade, just missing a shaker motor and slight outgassing in the dmd. He told me he could only offer 2k for the condition it was in. I was upset but wanted the RBION more than having the Roadshow in the house so I agreed and told him I would meet him that weekend at his shop. After mulling it over the next day I decided the Roadshow was worth more than the 2k he was offering and called him but he wouldn't budge so I told him forget about the trade I'll pay full price. I get to his shop that Saturday and speak with his employee that shops his games. Here is the only part where I can honestly say I should have done my due diligence and inspected the pin properly. I was in a rush to get back home on Long Island for a family get together and it was my 1st time buying from a shop so I figured if anything was wrong I had some recourse. I would have saved myself a lot of grief if I would have been a bit more diligent when inspecting the pin. Rob's employee pointed out the hole in the bottom of the cab which I was told about. We lifted the playfield and he pointed out some of the shiny mechs and the cleanliness of the bottom of the cab. I played a couple of balls and after a cash transaction we loaded her up. Well in the open space of Rob's shop you couldn't detect the smell of mold but once I started driving an hour I realized I'm smelling mold?! I set the game up when I got home and started a game. After a minute or 2 I realize all the balls are leaving trails all over the playfield. I remove them to find they were never cleaned up before putting them in the game. I also noticed the magnet under the shrunken head is way to far above the playfield to have the ball pass through. I lifted the playfield to adjust the magnet and surprise there's mold and rust all over the middle to bottom half of the playfield?! The guy showing the pin went out of his way to point out he new shiny stuff under the playfield but didn't disclose the rest. I now had that same feeling as the Congo shuffle and called Rob and told him I didn't want the pin and was going to return it. His response was to curse me out and promptly hung up. My wife saw the look on my face and asked what happened. I told her this F#@$ just hung up on me? I called him back immediately and asked if this is how he treats everyone he deals with or did I just get lucky today. He apologized and explained it was a hectic day but then proceeded to tell me that I was mistaken and there was no mold or rust anywhere on the machine. I asked him if he was calling me a liar I'm looking at it right now. I took some pics let me send them to you. He complained that I blew up a bunch of other deals from Friday to Saturday while he held the pin and now what is he going to do with the machine? I explained that if he had a bunch of interest clean it up or disclose it to the next buyer. You shouldn't have a problem if there was a bunch of interest. After continually telling me I was wrong about what was right in front of my face he told me fine bring it back to the shop and I'll give you your money back. I returned the pin the next day and now got to experience the pleasure of being told to my face that I was wrong in front of Greg and his daughter who looked fully embarrassed to be associated with him. I asked again if he wanted to see it 1st hand. I had wrapped the game properly for transit but told him lets open her up and I'll point it out for you so you can stop calling me a liar. He continued to tell me I was wrong and he remembered the game perfectly and there was nothing of the sort under the playfield. I then reminded him that I have pics of the mold and rust that he keeps denying. Again I was told that I was wrong and that there was nothing wrong with the game. I was so fed up trying to argue with him and wanted my cash in hand now that he has the game back in his shop. I feel he was trying to escalate the argument to the point where he would have just kicked me out of his shop. Since I paid in cash it would have been my word against his that I returned the game in the 1st place. I tell him ok you believe what you need to believe just give me my cash. He then looks at me and says it's Sunday where am I gonna get that kind of cash? We have a winner!! The only reason why I took a check was because it was a company check. He then declares " I'm done with you, I want you out of my life, you're dead to me. Wish it could have been that easy...

After being screwed by 2 people that showed up at a home and impersonated me while swiping a Dr Dude out from under me guess who just happened to post the DR Dude at their shop the next day just like the one in my pics?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-karma-helps-me-score-a-congo
For a long time I kept this shit quiet because like a rape victim I was ashamed to speak out. At this point I feel that as a fellow pinsider I would want to know who to steer clear of.
If you do not have the ability to go see the game in person you better ask for a ton of pics. The only other person in pinball I ever had a similar experience with is Barrynwj from the jersey shore and if you know who he is nuff said. There's a difference between someone who sells a game and shows or discloses all the bad with pics of the exact areas. The pics I received from Rob were taken to hide the issues. Guess what guys, your customers actually talk to each other. Everyone else I have met in this hobby has been fantastic to deal with. Sorry you have to deal with Rob on a daily basis Greg, you were nothing but nice to me each time we interacted.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I must admit just hearing the word Rockland gets my hair up. Every experience I've had with Rob was unpleasant. The 1st time I agreed to drop off a pin at his shop that was going to be shipped with 3 other pins to someone across the country. I spoke with him and told him the reason why I had agreed to help deliver the pin was to make it easier to group ship and that I was interested in his Congo and wanted to see it in person. I drove a beautiful Gilligan's Island up to Rockland only to find out that Rob didn't have the Congo at the shop after all. He didn't have the time or couldn't be bothered to bring it from his warehouse up in NY. He told me he thought I be much more interested in his No Fear?! When we took the pin out of the car he commented "Oh this IS a nice G. Island!" The best part of the whole experience was meeting Greg and his daughter as he was shopping a Scared Stiff. I drove home upset only to find out from the guy across the country that Rob tried to sell him a beat up Gilligan's for cheaper when he heard he was buying mine. This was after I spoke with him and told him I sold the game and was going to deliver to his shop?!!
A couple of months pass and one Friday afternoon I get a message from Rob that he has that Congo ready at the shop and there's a bunch of interest in it, if I want it I have to act now. I looked at the few pics he sent and told him ok I'll hold her with a 300 deposit and I'll pick her up Sunday. I paypal him and then decide after I talked with him to let him know I sent the deposit that I need better pics. He started describing cabinet separation and if I remember correctly some kind of plate attached on the side of the pin. When I received more detailed pics I realized that for the price he was charging I would want a nicer example of the game. I asked for the deposit back and although he wasn't pleased he refunded me the cash. I apologized for wasting his time.
You think I would have figured by now to just steer clear of Rob but the desire to own that next target pin got the best of me again. I contacted him for a RBION he had for a good price and wanted to know if he would accept my Roadshow for trade. I had a nice example with no fish wear or cabinet fade, just missing a shaker motor and slight outgassing in the dmd. He told me he could only offer 2k for the condition it was in. I was upset but wanted the RBION more than having the Roadshow in the house so I agreed and told him I would meet him that weekend at his shop. After mulling it over the next day I decided the Roadshow was worth more than the 2k he was offering and called him but he wouldn't budge so I told him forget about the trade I'll pay full price. I get to his shop that Saturday and speak with his employee that shops his games. Here is the only part where I can honestly say I should have done my due diligence and inspected the pin properly. I was in a rush to get back home on Long Island for a family get together and it was my 1st time buying from a shop so I figured if anything was wrong I had some recourse. I would have saved myself a lot of grief if I would have been a bit more diligent when inspecting the pin. Rob's employee pointed out the hole in the bottom of the cab which I was told about. We lifted the playfield and he pointed out some of the shiny mechs and the cleanliness of the bottom of the cab. I played a couple of balls and after a cash transaction we loaded her up. Well in the open space of Rob's shop you couldn't detect the smell of mold but once I started driving an hour I realized I'm smelling mold?! I set the game up when I got home and started a game. After a minute or 2 I realize all the balls are leaving trails all over the playfield. I remove them to find they were never cleaned up before putting them in the game. I also noticed the magnet under the shrunken head is way to far above the playfield to have the ball pass through. I lifted the playfield to adjust the magnet and surprise there's mold and rust all over the middle to bottom half of the playfield?! The guy showing the pin went out of his way to point out he new shiny stuff under the playfield but didn't disclose the rest. I now had that same feeling as the Congo shuffle and called Rob and told him I didn't want the pin and was going to return it. His response was to curse me out and promptly hung up. My wife saw the look on my face and asked what happened. I told her this F#@$ just hung up on me? I called him back immediately and asked if this is how he treats everyone he deals with or did I just get lucky today. He apologized and explained it was a hectic day but then proceeded to tell me that I was mistaken and there was no mold or rust anywhere on the machine. I asked him if he was calling me a liar I'm looking at it right now. I took some pics let me send them to you. He complained that I blew up a bunch of other deals from Friday to Saturday while he held the pin and now what is he going to do with the machine? I explained that if he had a bunch of interest clean it up or disclose it to the next buyer. You shouldn't have a problem if there was a bunch of interest. After continually telling me I was wrong about what was right in front of my face he told me fine bring it back to the shop and I'll give you your money back. I returned the pin the next day and now got to experience the pleasure of being told to my face that I was wrong in front of Greg and his daughter who looked fully embarrassed to be associated with him. I asked again if he wanted to see it 1st hand. I had wrapped the game properly for transit but told him lets open her up and I'll point it out for you so you can stop calling me a liar. He continued to tell me I was wrong and he remembered the game perfectly and there was nothing of the sort under the playfield. I then reminded him that I have pics of the mold and rust that he keeps denying. Again I was told that I was wrong and that there was nothing wrong with the game. I was so fed up trying to argue with him and wanted my cash in hand now that he has the game back in his shop. I feel he was trying to escalate the argument to the point where he would have just kicked me out of his shop. Since I paid in cash it would have been my word against his that I returned the game in the 1st place. I tell him ok you believe what you need to believe just give me my cash. He then looks at me and says it's Sunday where am I gonna get that kind of cash? We have a winner!! The only reason why I took a check was because it was a company check. He then declares " I'm done with you, I want you out of my life, you're dead to me. Wish it could have been that easy...
After being screwed by 2 people that showed up at a home and impersonated me while swiping a Dr Dude out from under me guess who just happened to post the DR Dude at their shop the next day just like the one in my pics?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-karma-helps-me-score-a-congo
For a long time I kept this shit quiet because like a rape victim I was ashamed to speak out. At this point I feel that as a fellow pinsider I would want to know who to steer clear of.
If you do not have the ability to go see the game in person you better ask for a ton of pics. The only other person in pinball I ever had a similar experience with is Barrynwj from the jersey shore and if you know who he is nuff said. There's a difference between someone who sells a game and shows or discloses all the bad with pics of the exact areas. The pics I received from Rob were taken to hide the issues. Guess what guys, your customers actually talk to each other. Everyone else I have met in this hobby has been fantastic to deal with. Sorry you have to deal with Rob on a daily basis Greg, you were nothing but nice to me each time we interacted.

Ouch.

#42 2 years ago

I've only had one interaction with Rob and Rockland and while it wasn't perfect (what full machine pin-related transaction is??), I thought it was good. He's in business to stay afloat and buy and sell machines so they can go to other people elsewhere in the world. Yes he buys as cheap as possible (a requirement to stay in business) and sells as high as he can get. Sounds like he is trying to make this one right so IMO we need to lay off. OP already copped to the fact that he thought this was a collector and not a retail situation. Fair enough mistake but now he knows. Let them sort it out. Hope it works out for both. Don't sell your chickens before they come home to roost

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

That's just wrong on SO many levels. How does someone face himself in the mirror the next day after impersonating a fellow Pinsider just to score a deal on a pin? Is a few hundred dollars really worth it?

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

That's just wrong on SO many levels. How does someone face himself in the mirror the next day after impersonating a fellow Pinsider just to score a deal on a pin? Is a few hundred dollars really worth it?

It happens from time to time. Lost out on a transporter the rescue by a person claing to be me.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It happens from time to time. Lost out on a transporter the rescue by a person claing to be me.

This is why I never tell anyone exact details on a game I'm buying. If I'm excited about a game and want to share I'll just say I'm picking up a new game soon.

#46 2 years ago

The game was advertised as "way above average". At first blush that really sounds like the pin is in excellent condition. But " way above average" tells a buyer, or competitor, nothing.

Way above average is nothing but a subjective opinion. Without knowing how the average was established, any interested parties do not have a baseline on which to make an informed decision.

Maybe the last five Centaurs the seller has seen were worn down to the wood and by comparison the seller is of the opinion this one is way better and cooks the books a little bit by throwing " way above average" in the ad. It is almost like this HUO that sellers are tossing into their sale pitch to spice things up and jack the price.

When companies place help wanted ads and advertise that the job pays above average, a large percentage of time the job pays Jack Schidt.

"Way above average" can be deceptive. Don't get sucked by this cluster of meaningless words.

#47 2 years ago

Wow, I tried to buy this machine and the OP beat me to it. I feel bad for the OP but guess I dodged a bullet on this one. That sucks.

Then again, I was thinking about it and a Pinball machine can be a pretty risky purchase sight unseen. Would you buy a 30 year old car for $4000 in a city across the country without at least having a friend check it out? I guess asking for more photos and stuff is the way to go if you can't look at a machine in person.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

definitely 100% not us, we have never done anything like this, this info is totally wrong and not accurate. We do not SCAM people and this bashing is making me re-think this whole business. WE DO THIS FOR FUN. We barely make any profit on these machines

There are a lot of different perceptions on 20-30 year old machines and YES, things get missed, We don't lie to sellers that we are someone else to get a machines, WHAT a fukcing bullshit accusation. That never happened

This is a small hobby shop that neither of us need, and I personally have a lot of other shit going on and don't need some psycho path threatening me.

Remember this there are always 2 sides to every story. someone comes to my shop buys and inspects a game leaves with it and calls me 2 days later tells me he changes his mind and we still take it back

if you guys only knew the amount of shit we take about stupid fucking things, you would think twice about putting your comments about petty bullshit and trying to trash someone's business.

I offered the psychopath his money back, even after he spewed a shitload of insults to us.

and Crispin only half of your info is accurate, thanks for the great post. great to trash someones business that they break their balls to get going. Also making false accusations that you have no proof if. congo or dr dude whatever IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Im done with pinside so you guys can go find someone else to trash.

and to the 4-500 friends I have that have bought 1000's of machines without a glitch thanks for all the great support here.

#49 2 years ago

^^^ FWIW ,I have had great experiences with your mail order (boards and stuff) and your ebay store.
Happy Easter
-Mike

#50 2 years ago

So Rob you can't take a little criticism or make that probably a lot of criticism from the people you've screwed what are you going to do take your football and go home I find it hard to believe you do this for fun that's a crock of s*** I would love to have the people line up that you screwed over the years misrepresented games so that'd be great if you didn't come out here .....john .... [comment removed by moderator]

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside