New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 54944)

Centaur vs Star Wars Data East (with new rom)

By Hoser

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0145.JPG
100_0163.JPG
100_0157.JPG
100_0169.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

Just wanted some thoughts on the going value of both a Centaur (the original one) and a Star Wars Data East?

Are they worth close to the same? One worth a lot more than the other?

I feel like this is comparing Apples to Oranges as one is DMD and the other is Solid State. One is a classic scoring approach ... the other is mode based. One has cool retro sounds ... the other has great music and call-outs.

Centaur - Classic Game with great rules for it's time.

SWDE - much younger machine with a DMD. Also, has the new Rom that supposedly fixes all of the scoring balance issues. Popular Theme.

So, your thoughts on their ACTUAL selling prices right now ... and other general thoughts on the two games?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Centaur is a far superior game and commands top dollar in nice shape. This is not even close imo.

#3 7 years ago

Centaur also has an incredible/unique art package. Centaur is loved by both collectors and players. I own one and I can't imagine ever letting it go. I know many Centaur owners that feel the same way. As Squeakman said, not even close!

I can only think of one SWDE advantage...you'll have no problem finding one for sale.

#4 7 years ago

I haven't played Centaur, so it might well be the case that it is as much superior to SW as the above posts indicate. Still, I think it is worth putting in a favorable word for SW. It looks and sounds good, is easy to understand, and, not coincidentally, it is always one of the most used and appreciated pins when we have parties. Is it up there with our very best pins? No, but they also cost considerably more. For the money, it's quite a good machine, especially in a large collection, and especially as an approachable pin for guests.

#5 7 years ago

Just a guide - I dont want to buy it...My restored centaur owes me 6k .. i wouldnt give you 1500 for a DE machine.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

My restored centaur owes me 6k

6k on a Centaur? I guess I shouldn't judge, I'm dumping some big time coin for a high end restored Sorcerer at the moment.

Quoted from Craig:

I think it is worth putting in a favorable word for SW. It looks and sounds good, is easy to understand, and, not coincidentally, it is always one of the most used and appreciated pins when we have parties.

Agreed; great game for the price. I've only played really nice examples of DESW and never played it at all before it had the balanced code update, but I think it is a really neat little game.

And if you get a signed backglass by the lower end stars of the show who go to every convention you can sell it for 6k too!!!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

6k on a Centaur? I guess I shouldn't judge, I'm dumping some big time coin for a high end restored Sorcerer at the moment.

Sorcerer is well worth the dough. Your obviously doing it for the love and not the money. Good for you.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Sorcerer is well worth the dough. Your obviously doing it for the love and not the money. Good for you.

Agreed fully on both counts. Not expecting to ever get my money out of it . . . not expecting to ever sell it either though so it does not matter to me.

#9 7 years ago

Centaur made all the other games at the time look like EM machines. I've played DE Star Wars and didn't get it. It just seemed like I was swacking the silverball into stuff.

The art is great, it says "come at me bro" at the beginning of the ball, it has targets behind targets, and has some crazy multiball.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

6k on a Centaur? I guess I shouldn't judge

I dont mind if you judge ..but factor in that I am in Australia ..supply and demand means we pay about 3-4k unrestored for the rare early stuff .. IF you can find one at all.

#11 7 years ago

I still regret not buying that $600USD Centaur II at Midwest Gaming Classic.

#13 7 years ago

I am a huge fan of centaur.

I also like the DE machine but have not had a lot of time on it with new roms.

I say it is Centaur hands down. IMO.

#14 7 years ago

They are very different games. DE Star Wars is a good example of it's era, but Centaur is one of the best of its kind.

#15 7 years ago

To address your question on price I bought a SW for $2,200.00 . As far as fun factor I owned SW for 8 years. And I played it more than my MB or AFM . It has great licensed original SW music score and real voice overs. The game play was not super deep. But it was fast and the drop targets were a great feature. The Toys are awesome as well . R2D2 with up and down motion. Death Star that rotates. Interactive handle to launch ball/skill shot/fire lasers. The backbox art work is fantastic . John Borg stated that it was his most successful pinball. I have never seen or played Centaur. But I love most pins so I am sure I would be into it.

100_0169.JPG 100_0157.JPG

#16 7 years ago

100_0163.JPG 100_0145.JPG

#17 7 years ago

Hey guys,

Thanks for chiming in! Some very valuable perspectives.

I am more of a player than a collector, so I get your opinions on how you like the machines. And more detailed reasons as why you like or dislike each one are always welcome.

I would still like for you to all chime in on what you KNOW the two machines are GOING FOR these days. Is one worth more than the other ... or are they worth the same?

Thanks in advance.

#18 7 years ago

I thought it was very clear, centaur is a beloved game and commands top dollar, if you can even find one. Star wars is a second tier game. Hard to know price because its based on condition but maybe 3k and up for centaur and 1500 some for star wars.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I thought it was very clear, centaur is a beloved game and commands top dollar, if you can even find one. Star Wars is a second tier game. Hard to know price because its based on condition but maybe 3k and up for centaur and 1500 some for Star Wars.

SW is a great deal at $ 1500.00. If you can find one that is decent buy it. Centaur for $3,000.00 + skip it . If you are Not in to collecting. SW will keep you happy. It is a great pinball .That is my logic based on what you have stated. Good luck !!

#20 7 years ago

SW. And they tend to go for around $2,000 these days.

#21 7 years ago

both in decent shape in my neck of the woods...SW $2200-2400 for sale often, Centaur $2000-2500 but never for sale and sells fast... very different games, hard to compare...SW demands high price for DE cause of theme...centaur was a ground breaker...

#22 7 years ago

Centaur is great game for players. Well, it's not a DMD, rules may not look as deep as they can be on more recent machines. But there are very satisfying shots. The music is immersive and may even become oppressive adding to the stress experience when playing a long ball. Add a dark / almost colourless play field and you get a unique experience.

Definitively a great game. On my wish list.

SW: you may consider it if you like the theme. The game is decent, I can play it at the local arcade but would not own it.

#23 7 years ago

Exactly Centaur has few equals...

#24 7 years ago

More great insight. Thanks.

Another question. Just how much does some wear on a Centaur playfield affect the value. The machine is in stunning shape except for two things. There is a little bit of wear to the wood just above the top multiplier lanes, and you can see that below te flippers there is an area about the size of a quarter that has been visibly repainted. You don't really see it when you play, but it is there. The rest of the playfield is beautiful and covered with a Mylar. Perfect back glass. Perfect plastics. Cabinet in excellent shape.

How much do you think a Centaur in that condition is worth?

Would the playfield damage detract most people from buying it down the road? Or is it so hard to find that people are still interested in it with some playfield wear?

Thanks again for your help.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

How much do you think a Centaur in that condition is worth?

Probably 1800 to 2600. Centaurs are becoming harder and harder to find. Especially one's in good shape. Most people who have a Centaur tend to hang on to them.

#26 7 years ago

What is the difference in value between a Centaur with new CPR playfield, and an original with some wear and a couple of small visible touch ups?

Also, was the original playfield more of an off-white? Or it that just age that has the playfield looking more of a cream color on the one that I am looking at?

Should I stop asking questions and just get it? Or be weary because of the wear and touch-ups?

Thanks

#27 7 years ago

cant comment on the usa market price .. but to make you feel better its a $4500 machine in Aust. IF you can find one. I have one .. i wouldnt part with it.. even $10k .. not for sale .. where would i ever get another one?

The market price of a cpr centuar PF is 1000-1400 .. plus cost for redo the clearcoat. there is a chipped one on ebay .. mr kruzman has one .. they are around but not cheap.

The PF used to be white .. it aged ( via smoking I suppose) to yellow

You should just buy it if you want a cool collectable - but keep it mind its going to be like a vintage car .. little adjustments and repairs will be required to keep it on the road.

If you decide to not buy it .. buy it anyway and sea freight it to me

#28 7 years ago

I own a Centaur II and love it. I bought it having never played one but on a strong recommendation from a friend. The multiball is unique, the music/effects are simple but effective, the stark black and white gothic theme, and the nudge back into play make it a winner.
I would say for either version of Centaur in very good condition 2k+

#29 7 years ago

if I had to keep one, i'd have to take the SW with the new roms.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 85.00
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
University Place, WA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside