(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.17.25 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.17.13 PM (resized).png
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
20200622_213103 (resized).jpg
20200920_193202 (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I've been fortunate enough to find a Centaur at a steal of a price. I've played it before, at pinball events, beat up and lots of noise in the background. I never realized how great of a game it is, until having it in my own home. This game has become one of my all-time favorites.
I've always wanted a Fathom machine, even though I've never played it. I love the artwork and playfied characteristics. When I look at the ratings of the 2 games, I notice Fathom is rated slightly higher than Centaur. Is this true? Is Fathom even better? If so, I will have to continue my search and make both of these games my forever machines. Can you tell me which game is better and why?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Can you tell me which game is better and why?

Yes I can. Do you have an hour?

#3 1 year ago

I added a poll.

#4 1 year ago

I fell in love with both, playing them every time I visit Banning.
I vote Centaur, by a nose. They are both in my top ten favorites.
They both have great gameplay and amazing sound and art.
WHEN I can find a nice one, Fathom will fit in nicely with my Bally's, just have to move TNA.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

20200920_193202 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

Nice, the poll is working for those that just want a quick response.
Thank you for your votes.

#6 1 year ago

I never knew Centaur had such a great multi-ball game play. Additionally the speech and sound are amazing for a game built in 1981.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

I never knew Centaur had such a great multi-ball game play. Additionally the speech and sound are amazing for a game built in 1981.

It has a pitch n bat type mech in it for launching power orbs
Very cool

#8 1 year ago

I also love Centaur ball saves, built into the outlane gates. I'm surprised this isn't utilized more often in newer games.

#9 1 year ago

Congrats. You have a KILLER game.

I have owned both and Centaur is here to stay.

Fathom is a great pin. Beautiful art package is a big part of it's high ranking. It's a good player, just not my favorite of those classic Ballys. Even though I really dig inline drop targets, I didnt think there was enough going on for me, especially when it sells for as much as it does. Plus my space is limited. There are other pins from its era that have a little more going on, but at a nicer price. Thus, it was a no brainer to let it go and eventually find other Ballys. Would I own one if I had the space? For sure! I just think there are better options in that era.

Between the two, I think Centaur has much more going on.

- 5 ball multiball, various ways to earn and stack, plus auto launch
- hit two banks of drops in order
- inline drops WITH captive ball (and two ways to hit this shot, one more rewarding than the other.)
- upper lane change
- in/out lane change
- outlane ball save gates
- magnet ball freeze
- Awesome art and sound package, with voice REVERB, plus it taunts you!

Centaur has some great rules applied to every part of the playfield. Every shot is connected in some way if that makes sense.

FWIW, I think Flash Gordon is a good one to seek out if you're looking to pair up some '81 Ballys. It's also loaded with features. More than Fathom, but at a fraction of the price.

#10 1 year ago

I'm sure most can agree that these machines are ahead of their time. I'd love to here some Fathom voters plea their case.

#11 1 year ago

I love my mermaids! Love the Fathom art more than Centaur. As for the gameplay, I've never played Centaur so I can't compare. Fathom has great gameplay, sounds, and multi-ball...It's one of my keepers.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

Congrats. You have a KILLER game.
FWIW, I think Flash Gordon is a good one to seek out if you're looking to pair up some '81 Ballys. It's also loaded with features. More than Fathom, but at a fraction of the price.

Thx SunnRAT for sharing your experienced thoughts. I also like the fact you added FG as an additional option to these two machines, even though it's never been nice to me. Haha

#14 1 year ago

Wow, the results so far are crazy!

#15 1 year ago

Fathom so easy

#16 1 year ago

How can Fathom be ahead of Centaur right now? I mean she’s a looker, of course, but Centaur has the layout and rule set that trumps the beauty queen!

#17 1 year ago

I don't know which is better, but having them BOTH would definitely be Best.

#18 1 year ago

Wow, Fathom made a come back. Didn't see that coming. Now for the the hard part. I'll just have to locate a fixer upper Fathom before everyone else.

#19 1 year ago

Fathom by a mile. Centaur gets old just playing multiballs. I've owned both and Fathom is never leaving. I really liked Centaur a lot, but can't compare to Fathom in terms of gameplay and looks.

#20 1 year ago

Both are great games, I have both and cant part with either. I highly recommend you get both for your collection!

#21 1 year ago

I had a Centaur, sold it. Played Fathom many times at Pinfest. I prefer Fathom. Reason I sold Centaur? It reminded me of owning British sports car. The under PF ball launcher was problemmatic. I had many issues with other assemblies. Maybe I got the lemon, but I spent a lot of time with the PF raised making adjustments. 5 ball multi ball was too much. I loved the sound, GF (who tolerates my pin addiction) hated it. When I got an offer to make 1K over what I had in it, it left the line-up.

#22 1 year ago

Played both, I find Centaur more enjoyable than Fathom. I've played good examples of both. Also helps the better half loves Centaur.

#23 1 year ago

Sometimes I wonder if it's just because of the art on Centaur that makes it less popular and it's considered to be not so much of a family friendly game to have around the wife and kids. I like them both, but I think Centaur is the overall package for me what with the art, sounds, game play, it's got it all and far ahead of it's time. Each time I play Fathom it reminds me too much of Eight Ball Deluxe with that voice. I like Fathom too and I do own both but for me Centaur gets the edge.

John

#24 1 year ago

Both have killer art. It's a tie for me in that regard.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Yes I can. Do you have an hour?

Well? Were waiting!

But seriously. I know you know your shit, so I'm curious.

#26 1 year ago

I had both next to each other with cpr playfields I swapped in. As much as I was proud of them both, and my favorite color scheme is black/white and red, I didn't enjoy Centaur as much and eventually sold her. To me Centaur is exploitable. You can continue to keep throwing up balls onto the table by hitting the ORBS targets in order. I enjoy the shots and gameplay more on Fathom. When you earn the 3 ball multiball it's more gratifying. The inline drops are used cleverly to trap the balls. I do admit I love the sounds more on Centaur though.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Sometimes I wonder if it's just because of the art on Centaur that makes it less popular and it's considered to be not so much of a family friendly game to have around the wife and kids. I like them both, but I think Centaur is the overall package for me what with the art, sounds, game play, it's got it all and far ahead of it's time. Each time I play Fathom it reminds me too much of Eight Ball Deluxe with that voice. I like Fathom too and I do own both but for me Centaur gets the edge.
John

My guess is it has something to do with the second run of Centaur as Centaur 2. There are just more Centaur out there to play. It seems like that harder a game is to find, the more people like it. I have had both and Fathom wins but not by much.

Fathom has a little more strategy to it then centaur. The two different bonus and multipliers make for a challenging rule set. If you can get ahold of one I would grab it for sure. As mentioned earlier, grab a Flash Gordon too. Super pain in the ass and also the only single ball game I have ever kept!

#28 1 year ago

So I've never ever played or seen a centaur before.... so I looked up a video of it.

Ho-Lee- shit

It looks bad effing ass! It really speaks to me. So very old timey and yet sorta modern, too. And of course, the artwork. Wow.

#29 1 year ago

All that matters are an individual's subjective feelings when playing a pin.

-mof

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

You're a very wise dude.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Mof- what's your pick? I didn't see a selection.

#32 1 year ago

Centaur -- by a margin of 7.6%

#33 1 year ago

20200622_213103 (resized).jpg
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

[quoted image]

Holy mother of God.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

How can Fathom be ahead of Centaur right now? I mean she’s a looker, of course, but Centaur has the layout and rule set that trumps the beauty queen!

Because it's too MB heavy, it's too easy unless you rip out the bounce posts, Layout isn't as well, 1 set of inline drops compared to 2 (both ways!), Playfield Multipliers, bonus structure...and seriously; Classic Bally/SS WITHOUT a spinner?!?.....etc

Centaur may be the best looking machine ever...and an eXtrmemly classic sounding game. Plenty to love aboot it, but it's easy for me.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because it's too MB heavy, it's too easy unless you rip out the bounce posts, Layout isn't as well, 1 set of inline drops compared to 2 (both ways!), Playfield Multipliers, bonus structure...and seriously; Classic Bally/SS WITHOUT a spinner?!?.....etc
Centaur may be the best looking machine ever...and an eXtrmemly classic sounding game. Plenty to love aboot it, but it's easy for me.

Conservative settings are a must.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I’ve owned both and this post is really all you need to read... from a game play perspective... Fathom in a landslide.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from jorant:

So I've never ever played or seen a centaur before.... so I looked up a video of it.
Ho-Lee- shit
It looks bad effing ass! It really speaks to me. So very old timey and yet sorta modern, too. And of course, the artwork. Wow.

Gotta ask, you've been on Pinside over 10 years, and have NEVER seen or played a Centaur? Wow, you've been missing out. Like the gameplay of Centaur a bit more. Fathom is definitely a looker, but i've just never gotten into Fathom enough. Pricewise, Centaur for sure. Better bang for the buck IMO

#39 1 year ago

It’s a shame covid has paused shows, meet ups, and location opportunities for folks to play these titles.
Owned Centaur but prefer Fathom slightly more.

#40 1 year ago

These games are absolutely neck and neck. Both stone classics. I suggest owning both if you can.

I give Fathom a slight edge in gameplay just because I never get tired of it. Centaur does have inline drop targets but they aren't at all integral to gameplay. It is very satisfying to break a million on Centaur anytime you can, but Fathom demands you push your score into the 3-4 millions in order to get that same satisfaction. Centaur can get into rinse-and-repeat territory in a high-scoring game, whereas, for me at least, Fathom constantly seems to surprise with its complex ball geometry. Most people never even shoot the inlines in Centaur, concentrating on the Orbs targets and the right-side drops for points. Fathom demands that you shoot both sets of inline targets, though the left-side drop-target bank isn't as critical as it should be to gameplay.

You want to talk about art? Fathom is perhaps the most beautiful of all classic Bally's, and definitely up there in any age or era of games in terms of beauty. Use of color and design and integration of the playfield and backglass are second to none. Centaur's art is very obviously unique, and badass artistically in a way very few other machines are. I love the look of Centaur, and I don't think its art ever gets old. Put these two side-by-side and you have bragging rights, and gameplay for miles and miles.

#41 1 year ago

No question fathom is more difficult to play.
-mof

#42 1 year ago

Have had them both.. Fathom by a nose because the Centaur art is so polarizing. Both play great when dialed in.

#43 1 year ago

Have them both and prefer Fathom. Fathom is more difficult to master and more rewarding to play. Definitely own both if you can.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from doghouse:

These games are absolutely neck and neck. Both stone classics. I suggest owning both if you can. Put these two side-by-side and you have bragging rights, and gameplay for miles and miles.

What, sorta like this?

John

IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
#45 1 year ago

Fathom is far, far better playing game of the two.
Tons more to do, tougher.
Double/triple score + recapture multiball (Fathom) vs a no rule change multiball (Centaur) tips the scales.

Beautiful lineup Dayhuff.

#46 1 year ago

Centaur is classic “Rich get Richer” Bally in multiball form. Fathom is classic Bally RGR but in rule form. Centaur requires you to keep MB going to score high, where Fathom is harder to get started, but more satisfying once you get it rocking and rolling. Between the two, I have more fun on Centaur so it is my Bally multiball dream pin from that period. The only Bally from that period of machines I like better are EBD and Space Invaders but only because they are single ball machines, and require way more skill to score high on.

#47 1 year ago

If you bring this Centaur home to your kids, this is what they will become.....

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.17.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.17.13 PM (resized).png
#48 1 year ago

Dang Jethro, you have actual studs coming out of your cab. Cool!

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Dang Jethro, you have actual studs coming out of your cab. Cool!

OMG...not my cab. But do you like my girlfriend?

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

If you bring this Centaur home to your kids, this is what they will become.....
[quoted image][quoted image]

God i hope so

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside