Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220806_100553979~2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

My centaur MPU (alltek) fails to boot if any switches in a certain return row of the matrix are active on power up. Repeatable when a different alltek MPU is swapped in, so the issue is under the playfield and not the MPU. A couple of these switches are on drop targets, and I'd rather fix the issue than remove the glass to manually reset drops before turning it on.

Everything *looks* ok at the switches. And I've tested all the switch diodes in circuit and they seem good.

A few of the switches have ceramic disc capacitors, my multimeter does not do capacitance. Can a failed disc capacitor on a switch cause something like MPU boot fail? If yes, then I'll just order some and replace to see if that does the trick. If no, is there something else I should be considering?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

If the caps fail short, it can cause the switch to short, but I don't see why a shorted switch would stop the MPU from booting. When your MPUs fail to boot, how many flashes are you getting?

#3 1 year ago

A short on a switch return line will cause the MPU board U10 PIA to fail the power-on test so you're likely getting a flicker and three LED flashes.

Usually happens when the switch return line shorts to a playfield lamp. If all five switches on that row look isolated, check if any lamps are shorting against the drop target frames.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

A short on a switch return line will cause the MPU board U10 PIA to fail the power-on test so you're likely getting a flicker and three LED flashes.
Usually happens when the switch return line shorts to a playfield lamp. If all five switches on that row look isolated, check if any lamps are shorting against the drop target frames.

You are awesome, thank you! You guessed correctly, I had a flicker plus three flashes. Inspecting all the switches on the row for lank shorts, I found the top middle lane switch bracket to be grazing the ground braid for the lamp. Bent it away with pliers and the issue is fixed!

IMG_20220806_100553979~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220806_100553979~2 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Inspecting all the switches on the row for lank shorts, I found the top middle lane switch bracket to be grazing the ground braid for the lamp.

Nice find, I presume it was like that from factory?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Nice find, I presume it was like that from factory?

It has a repro play field, I believe. Or a very well touched up and clear coated one, but I expect the former. The previous owner didn't really have the space and sold it with only a couple games on it after a full restore. Not enough to even notice the issue. Very lucky local find for me. I have a couple switches to adjust, and the sound pots to replace, and then it's pretty much a brand new centaur.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 85.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-switch-returns-causing-mpu-boot-fail-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.