Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Centaur Ball Guide Set (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Looking for interest to get these made. These have been done for Fathom, Star Gazer and Seawitch. You can find links to those threads below and store links. If you’re interested please post here and you will be added to the list. We need 25 orders to start production. The price should be close to that of the other guides.

Fathom:

http://tinyurl.com/y7y5e7ys

http://tinyurl.com/y9tq3n94

Star Gazer:

http://tinyurl.com/y7tgw9vb

http://tinyurl.com/yc7lq8ur

Seawitch:

http://tinyurl.com/y867cmxg

http://tinyurl.com/y8ad658y

#2 1 year ago

I’m in for a set. Thanks for organising.

#3 1 year ago

I’m in for a set.

#4 1 year ago

Only 23 more to go! These are only going to be made when and if we get 25. Most people assume they don't need to get on the list. This is wrong! We do not currently supply any distributors with stock. We make enough for the 25 and a few extras for any unforeseen problems that may arise. So without the 25 these will never be made. Tell everyone you know that might be interested.

Thanks!

#5 1 year ago

Cmon people. Let’s get these made.

#6 1 year ago

again

2 weeks later
#7 1 year ago

I'd be in for a set

#8 1 year ago

Only 22 more pre-orders and we can make these!

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

Bump, because I’m hoping these get done.

#10 1 year ago

im in for at least one set.

#11 1 year ago

I'm in for one.

#12 1 year ago

Only 20 more and let's hope nobody drops out! Hard to believe more people don't wan't nice new guides on their restored games.

#13 1 year ago

Count me in for one set.

#14 1 year ago

I’m in for a set

1 month later
#16 1 year ago

In for a set

#17 1 year ago

Looking for 16 more people!

#18 1 year ago

Put me down for 1 set as well.

#20 1 year ago

I'm in

1 month later
#21 11 months ago

I'm in, if these get made

#22 11 months ago

We have enough people to move this into production. We now need someone to lend us a set to use for measurements and fitment.

#23 11 months ago

Bump! Any volunteers?

#24 10 months ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Bump! Any volunteers?

I can do it. Are they crazy big for shipping? Guess I'll find out when I take them off.

#25 10 months ago

I can pull mine also from Centaur II if need be, they will have to come off eventually for the new set. I assume they would be identical to Centaur.

#26 10 months ago

I want to thank Yancy for providing the guides to work from. Thank you for offering 20eyes!

#27 10 months ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Bump! Any volunteers?

Orbian, Please put me down for a set for Centaur, I am in the middle of a playfield swap so if you need my guides let me know, they are detached from the playfield and wood and can be shipped by 12-5-2018. Let me know who the payment need to be made to.

#28 10 months ago

See if he would be willing to add/offer the spring steel extra ball flap to the kit for an extra small fee. Thanks.

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from triplemercman:

See if he would be willing to add/offer the spring steel extra ball flap to the kit for an extra small fee. Thanks.

I included the multiball flap when I gave Mantis my ball guides. Sounds like we might get that part in stainless spring steel (not blue).

#30 10 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

I included the multiball flap when I gave Mantis my ball guides. Sounds like we might get that part in stainless spring steel (not blue).

Thanks Yancy for including your flap, this will be awesome in stainless spring steel. Good thinking!!

#31 10 months ago

For what it's worth, I also included the shooter lane kickout protector which I believe is generic for several games of that era. At least for Flash Gordon right next to my Centaur, it appears identical.

#32 10 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

For what it's worth, I also included the shooter lane kickout protector which I believe is generic for several games of that era. At least for Flash Gordon right next to my Centaur, it appears identical.

Those are available from gatecrasher
Excellent products, btw

#33 10 months ago

I'm in for a set. Is Kerry making the under playfield habitrail for the ball launcher too?

#34 10 months ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Those are available from gatecrasher

Oops!

Quoted from RazerX:

Is Kerry making the under playfield habitrail for the ball launcher too?

Not that I know of. I didn't loan him mine. Does he normally do habitrails?

#35 10 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Oops!

Not that I know of. I didn't loan him mine. Does he normally do habitrails?

I didn't think so, just figured I would ask. Will be a hurdle for anyone that wants to do a scratch build if someone ends making wire harnesses and decides to go that route at some point. There's also the special trough too.

#36 10 months ago

No he does not do habitrails! The spring steel flap is made by Cliffy. You have to e-mail him directly and ask for it. We don't like to step on products being made by others.

2 months later
#37 8 months ago

Dumb question, how many ball guides does Centaur have? Normally I could just count mine, but the ball guides are away for reproduction right now.

#38 8 months ago

four, five if you want to count the ball flap.
Thanks for sending out your guides

1 week later
#39 7 months ago

The under Playfield mech is not a welded wireform. There are 2 bent rods that fit through brackets. This is definitely something that Could be done with a laser cutter and bending.

#40 7 months ago

The ball guides are finished and can be ordered here.

https://tinyurl.com/y6b8qc4u

#41 7 months ago

Don't pull the trigger on that just yet. I'm currently testing the fit, and there are issues.

1 month later
#42 6 months ago

Any updates, how are these coming along? Thanks

#43 6 months ago
Quoted from BoP:

Any updates, how are these coming along? Thanks

I sent the originals back to Mantis so he could make adjustments. No news since then.

#44 6 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

I sent the originals back to Mantis so he could make adjustments. No news since then.

No worries, thanks for the update.

2 months later
#45 4 months ago

Greetings Everyone,

Update on the Centaur Ball Guides. I'm building a Centaur from scratch and came across this link. I didn't see any progress, so I contacted Kerry directly at Mantis pinball. He needed someone to test the fitment, so I volunteered and purchased a set. Note: I'm using an original Centaur playfield with original wood rails.

I had no problems making the set fit. I loosened the wood rails (to allow a little play) and the rivet holes matched with only slight effort. The items are superb quality and a big time saver to someone like me that's scratch-building the machine.

Kerry has 30 Centaur ball guide sets available (minus one) and will be listing these very soon. Price is $135 for a six piece set. Here's the website link: https://mantispinball.com

Centaur Ball Guide Set (resized).jpg
#46 4 months ago

Caveat emptor: I test fit two different sets of these for Mantis. In the second set, one of four guides fit well. The other three ranged from "you can force it to fit if you hog out the woodrail holes" to "no effing way." For the most part they're too long, but not at one end where you can just trim it. The extra length is spread throughout the guide, making everything slightly (or more than slightly) off. You can see the altered curvature of the new guides on a used playfield where the marks from old guides are clearly visible. It's also easy to spot the discrepancies when you hold an original guide next to a repro.

The L-shaped tabs need their mounting holes enlarged (or moved in a future revision). All the holes are a bit too far back, pushing the guides forward a bit and reducing the width of shots. This is correctable by the end user, not a dealbreaker, but definitely worth mentioning.

I recently returned the second set, so chances are a third (better) set hasn't been made. I'm sure you can "make these fit," especially with new wood rails free of existing holes, but I'd much rather spit-shine my original guides and have the game play as designed.

I don't feel great leaving negative feedback for Kerry who worked hard on these and is a great guy, but I declined to use them in my game, even for free, so I thought others should be made aware of possible issues.

For what it's worth, the two non-guide pieces in this set are perfect: multiball launch flap and shooter lane kickout protector.

#47 4 months ago

Great to see this getting done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside