• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AS2518-66 Solenoid expander (resized).jpg
Service Bulletin (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My Centaur AS 2518 66 Solenoid Expander board was working intermittently firing the multi-ball launch coil (solenoid #15 in the test mode). After attempting to reflow the pins on the board all I managed to do was to cook the ball launch coil instead.

I purchased a PinPoint Electronics replacement expander board but the installation instructions show that it is not the correct one for Centaur. Apparently they make a 2518-66(A) which is for games that require a 43 volt jumper (Black Belt, Eight Ball Deluxe [all versions], Elektra, Fathom, Medusa, Mr & Ms Pacman, Speakeasy and Vector) and there is a 2518-66(B) for the non-jumper games (Centaur and ??). I don’t see any indication on their website (or on anyone else’s) that there is an A & B version available.

I found an April 1983 Bally Midway service bulletin that discusses the subject of removing the expander board jumper for Centaur and Speakeasy (see pic). By the way, my original Centaur board has the jumper cut and removed (see pic).

My questions are:
1. Can I use the PinPoint 2518-66(A) expander board as-is without any issues
2. Can I cut the J1 Jumper on the PinPoint board (see pic) to make it work for Centaur

Thanks in advance for any help you experts can provide!

#2 7 years ago

whoops, images attached.

Service Bulletin (resized).jpgService Bulletin (resized).jpg

AS2518-66 Solenoid expander (resized).jpgAS2518-66 Solenoid expander (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd.

#4 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinpoint-electronics-solenoid-expander-board-for-centaur

Someone else had the same question, go to post #13. The Jumper to cut is S1 (not J1).

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Joydivision! That's exactly what I needed.

#6 7 years ago

You're welcome!

#7 7 years ago

Update: I cut the jumper on the new PinPoint expander board, installed it and everything is working as it should.

1 year later
#8 5 years ago

Resurrecting this thread to say jumper should be cut out for Black Pyramid which was probably made after the Bally service bulletin posted above.

#9 5 years ago

FYI, with the 43v jumper removed, the solenoid expander could be used as a relay board for other purposes. In the case of Centaur it was used,to activate the ball launch which drew too much current and would have fried a normal coil transistor.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

FYI, with the 43v jumper removed, the solenoid expander could be used as a relay board for other purposes. In the case of Centaur it was used,to activate the ball launch which drew too much current and would have fried a normal coil transistor.

In Black Pyramid it is used to do the swinging motor. not sure what it does in speak easy. I think these boards showed up in a few 6803 games too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 195.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-solenoid-expander-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.