(Topic ID: 70333)

Centaur 'Say It Again' Replacement Boards- Third run in production!

By matthess

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MtnFrost
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6479 (resized).JPG
IMG_6480 (resized).JPG
Production.jpg
2014-12-22 20.34.19.jpg
2014-12-22 19.32.04.jpg
IMG_20131116_113959_191.jpg
263px-SquawkAndTalk-61BRevision.jpg
Say It Again_Complete.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago

I realize you wanted to keep the look of the original design but you probably should have re-worked the 5V section using modern day switching or buck regulator technology to eliminate the ceramic power resistor and the large filter caps.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Are you talking about an exact replacement? My understanding is that the chip that adds reverb on that board is obsolete, and unreasonably expensive to replace.

No, its not an exact copy, just a replacement. In the upper right corner, you can see that he used the Holtek 8955 chip along with the DRAM IC to sub for the SAD BBD. I think he meant that it was more traditionally an analog board with most of the original amps and filter designs duplicated on a same foot print PCB.

#45 9 years ago

What I didn't originally realize is that comrep "Repro" board is mostly a "dummy board" to fill the original foot print of the Bally SIA. Only the components you see in the first photo are necessary to make it function. The rest of the board is just for "looks" and serves no function.

I realize the intent but its probably not going to fool too many. Without having the original silk and proper logos, it seems pointless to me to go to all the trouble and a bigger board just to have something that resembles the original analog SIA board. Either of the 2 plug and play subs already out there work just fine.

At least to my ears, the HT8955 design floating around out there is true to the original sounds of the SAD IC and Bally SIA board. And so is the simple MN3205 chip replacement approach. In fact, for me, I prefer using the MN3208 which has half the buckets. You get the same required reverb effect but you can actually understand the words being spoken. I stumbled on this since most of the MN3205's I received from China were duds so I thought I would give the 08 a try.

3 years later
#57 5 years ago

The interconnect harness is documented in the manual which is online. I think if you search S&T, there were photos posted here before.

Its basically two shielded cables to feed line audio in and out.

#58 5 years ago

As I recall, you are correct since it has the two speaker wires at the end of the connector.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-say-it-again-replacement-boards-now-available-85-shipped?tu=CactusJack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.