39.png
38.png
37.png
26.png
21.png
22.png
15.png
18.png
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

In my opinion, the linear offer better feeling and control on the ball. I like them better than the non-linear

Quoted from doghouse:

As a classic Bally collector, I very much agree

Same here. When the parts are new, I've experienced zero problems with linear flippers. Beautiful resto work Mike!

#52 10 years ago

I agree the linears are great

Quoted from shock_me:Same here. When the parts are new, I've experienced zero problems with linear flippers. Beautiful resto work Mike!

I agree the linears are great i would never go with the old style either
Everyone else seems to hate them but say williams stern etc flipper assemblies are usualy trashed have broken bushings and have to be rebuilt alot more.
people dont realize these linear flipper are most likely original from 30 years ago becouse parts werent available forever so put it in perspective 30 year original still play ive rarely seen an original stern style that made it all them years without mushroomed plungers trashed sleeves etc if they even work anymore.
The linear flipper design took the stress off the bushing and lasted 3x longer than the others.

look at williams flipper assemblies are trashed under 10 years with half the service of the oldschool arcade life.

#53 10 years ago

Nice Bally collection there Hellfire. I need to get back into collecting from the classic 80-81 era again!

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

In my opinion, the linear offer better feeling and control on the ball. I like them better than the non-linear.

Til they get hot and are on a power circuit with just so slightly less line voltage.....Here we go again.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I agree the linears are great

I agree the linears are great i would never go with the old style either
Everyone else seems to hate them but say williams stern etc flipper assemblies are usualy trashed have broken bushings and have to be rebuilt alot more.
people dont realize these linear flipper are most likely original from 30 years ago becouse parts werent available forever so put it in perspective 30 year original still play ive rarely seen an original stern style that made it all them years without mushroomed plungers trashed sleeves etc if they even work anymore.
The linear flipper design took the stress off the bushing and lasted 3x longer than the others.
look at williams flipper assemblies are trashed under 10 years with half the service of the oldschool arcade life.

I worked for many years in an arcade. No linear flippers did not last 3X longer. Matter of fact they were broken all the time and lotza complaints on "Weak" flippers.....Hey lets stick to the Centaur post and get him to put in a real flipper mech. The older one !!!....LOL!!!....Just having fun.

#56 10 years ago

Whatever David wants, within reason of course.

I can't work for free, the wife won't let me

#57 10 years ago

I've been pretty busy with the creature stuff, but did get some time this weekend to work on Centaur. Here's a picture of the new Big Time cabinet. It did need some mirror repair work due to damage that occurred in transit. The cabinet completely split at the front right corner.

IMG_4991.JPGIMG_4991.JPG

#58 10 years ago

Also, got some more powered parts

IMG_4989.JPGIMG_4989.JPG IMG_4992.JPGIMG_4992.JPG

#59 10 years ago

super nice job, that thing is going to be beautiful. I am very envious

2 weeks later
#60 10 years ago

My wife let me work on a pinball machine for Father's Day

Started putting all the new start posts on.

IMG_5096.JPGIMG_5096.JPG

#61 10 years ago

I just got all the nickel plated parts back, so now I can start putting the coin door back together. I'm still waiting on a few items to be powdered, but here's a few pics of the coin door being reassembled.

IMG_5098.JPGIMG_5098.JPG IMG_5099.JPGIMG_5099.JPG

#62 10 years ago

God that door is gorgeous, I enjoy following these resto threads. You do very nice work!

#63 10 years ago

Here are some pics of the new wood side rails as well as the repaired cabinet corner.

// Error: Image 110491 not found // // Error: Image 110492 not found //

#64 10 years ago

Looking good! This is gonna be a thing of beauty!

#65 10 years ago

Mike. Do you have someone make those wood rails for you? What kind of wood is that? They look flawless.

#66 10 years ago

nice work, keep those pictures coming.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Mike. Do you have someone make those wood rails for you? What kind of wood is that? They look flawless.

These where made out of poplar (wanted to go with less grain than oak - looks more original for this era). My friend Mike W. made them. They where sprayed with Rust-Oleum 2X semi gloss black.

#68 10 years ago

That coin door is gorgeous, Mike. The cabinet repair is not even noticeable. Great work!

#69 10 years ago

wow!!! congratulation!! incredible work! thanks for your pics!!

1 week later
#70 10 years ago

So, just picked up the apron today. I had it touched up and clear coated, turned out pretty nice. The face of the apron was really rough. Someone had taken a paint brush and tried to touch it up, looked awful (brush strokes everywhere). IMG_5291.JPGIMG_5291.JPG

#71 10 years ago

Here are some close up pics of the apron face

IMG_5293.JPGIMG_5293.JPG IMG_5294.JPGIMG_5294.JPG

#72 10 years ago

Taking aprons to the next level! Wow...not sure why it's exciting, but it is

This might be the most expensive Centaur on the planet when you are done!

#73 10 years ago

Love that powder on the apron. Who did the touch up? Is there a company that takes your apron and repaints them?

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Taking aprons to the next level! Wow...not sure why it's exciting, but it is
This might be the most expensive Centaur on the planet when you are done!

Don't tell David that

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Love that powder on the apron. Who did the touch up? Is there a company that takes your apron and repaints them?

I have a friend that run an auto paint shop. He's into pinball, so I horse traded with him to get this done (told him I'd help him with one of his machines). FYI - this apron was sprayed and cleared not powdered.

#76 10 years ago

Amazing work!

Can't wait to see it finished!

Chris

#77 10 years ago

This game is going to look amazing, but wait till you start playing it Easily one of the best games of the early 80's.

*edit* oops, I see you're restoring for a customer, and not yourself. Oh well I hope he lets you try it out a bit after you finish

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

This game is going to look amazing, but wait till you start playing it Easily one of the best games of the early 80's.
*edit* oops, I see you're restoring for a customer, and not yourself. Oh well I hope he lets you try it out a bit after you finish

I might end up buying a Centaur for myself one day

After this restoration I’m finally going to take a break and get my garage/workshop setup the way I want (AC, insulation, flooring, new work tables, upgrade to some more industrial quality tools, etc.). That will buy me more space for my personal collection, freeing up a spare bedroom in the house.

#79 10 years ago

It looks very sweet, Mike. Excellent work.

#80 10 years ago

Waw, you really took that Centaur to the next level. I really dig the clearcoated apron. I'm surprised i haven't seen that before. I might do it for my DM too.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I might end up buying a Centaur for myself one day

Awesome. I knew one day you'd move over to the dark side

I love my 80's pins...

#82 10 years ago

Finally started putting the cabinet back together yesterday. Here's a pic of the transformer installed. I cleaned it up (repaint and clear coated it). Also had the ugly galvanized mounting plate powder coated.

IMG_5286.JPGIMG_5286.JPG

#83 10 years ago

wow.... :-)what paint are you put on your transformer?

#84 10 years ago

man that apron... everything look so good, look at those parts, chrome... love it.

did you painted the transformer or it's just cleaned?

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

wow.... :-)what paint are you put on your transformer?

I use Rust-Oleum in a rattle can. Flat black followed up with a gloss clear.

#86 10 years ago

Beautiful work. I'm envious of Centaur owners as it is, but super envious of your customer.

2 weeks later
#87 10 years ago

It’s been awhile since I posted any pics, so here are a few of the coin door installed. Still some minor things to address (lamp wiring, missing coin mech spring, etc.), but at least it’s back in the machine.

IMG_5331.JPGIMG_5331.JPG IMG_5327.JPGIMG_5327.JPG

#88 10 years ago

Amazing work. I'm curious as to how much this project has into it $ wise, my guess will be $8K by the end of it all. But it will be worth it (to the person who wants the perfect Centaur).

#89 10 years ago

I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'd have to go look at my spreadsheet for the project. These restorations are never cheap though that's for sure.

#90 10 years ago

Hey, Mike...was surprised the bottom of your cabinet isn't black (since I believe we both have "Big Time" produced cabs). Wonder if this was an option?

My Centaur isn't quite as stunning as the work you are doing, but she plays great and not too shabby looking

Great work as usual!

IMG_8066.JPGIMG_8066.JPG IMG_8067.jpgIMG_8067.jpg

#91 10 years ago

Hi Steve,

The guy that restored your machine probably painted the inside of the cabinet as an extra touch. Looks nice. Question for you, what is the model/make of your speaker. I need to upgrade David's.

Now I know what you use your pool sticks for

#92 10 years ago

Here's a close up pic of the coin door rebuilt before it was reinstalled.

IMG_5316.JPGIMG_5316.JPG

#93 10 years ago

The speakers is a 4ohm car stereo speaker from "MB Quart" (a German company).

I think my model is the QWD 160 which is discontinued.

Here is a link to the current model car stereo speakers:

http://www.mbquart.com/mbquart_q_speakers.html

They sound great in Centaur...I also recently installed a repro "Say it Again" board with 3 different adjustments. Works well. My original board still works, but needs to warm up before the reverb kicks in (probably needs new caps?).

IMG_1998.JPGIMG_1998.JPG

#94 10 years ago

Centaur has one of the most hardcore playfields (art wise) ever, looks really nice with that clearcoat!

#95 10 years ago

Mike D's restoration looks better IMO. The black just looks like a cheap/quick way to fill in the wood. But does it really matter when no when see's it?

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Mike D's restoration looks better IMO. The black just looks like a cheap/quick way to fill in the wood. But does it really matter when no when see's it?

Well Mike didn't do the cabinet...like mine, they were both purchased. There's nothing about my Centaur that looks cheap, but you are entitled to think whatever you want

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Hi David,
Jeff hooked me up with a sketch (see below). This doesn’t have exact locations for everything, but the critical stuff is there. Mike W. and I will get something mocked up based on Jeff’s layout. I ordered all the 555 sockets needed (these are virtually unobtainium) and have some thoughts on the foil as well.
In the meantime, Mike and I are working on reproducing some other parts (coil wrappers etc.). I got all the plating parts shipped off to Chestnut, so things are moving along. I can still do some things with 4 figures

What is this a sketch of???

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

What is this a sketch of???

The backbox lighting panel from a Centaur I

#99 10 years ago

mike did you get the trace in the end or did the postman lose it?

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

mike did you get the trace in the end or did the postman lose it?

I got it late last week. Thanks again, that will certainly make my life a lot easier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-restoration-bring-on-the-pain/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.