Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-767.jpg
image-37.jpg
centaur final 002.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

Man, that's about as tough a comparison as there can be! I own both and have for years. Also played both when they were new, and actually would seek out Centaur back in the day. I am not really sure which I would sell if I had to get rid of one of them, but for all the talk about Centaur being incredible, and I agree, I have to agree with the poster that gave a slight edge to Fathom if what you want is the most fun game. Fathom has a bit more to offer as far as game play, with more to do. They are both equal imo in the looks dept. I also need to say that I tend to play Centaur once or twice and then, as fun as it is, I go to Fathom and find I can play it more often and have fun doing so. Someone above mentioned buying both. I know your wallet won't like that suggestion but he is right....buy both. Whichever you get, you will wind up wishing you got the other. Quite unusual you have an opportunity to buy both. You can always sell one on here in about ten minutes flat if you decide you really favor one over the other after you have them awhile. I have 12 games and find I don't play either of those two that much, but I am glad I have them in my collection even though it makes little financial sense based on what I could sell them for. I learned my lesson when I sold my Spirit a few years ago....don't let hard to find games sell anymore. You may not have the opportunity to buy it again...another reason for you to try and buy both while you can.

#28 9 years ago

Wow...the rare thread where most our in alignment pointing out that both are amazing. Forgot to mention, as someone pointed out, the unique and amazing sound on Centaur. If you are into great sound (that is a big part of any game for me) no doubt that should slide you into the Centaur column. While Fathom is fine in that regard, it isn't anything special, merely serviceable for the time it was made. The death dive tilt sound in Fathom is pretty cool though, with the wicked laughter!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
£ 195.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball4life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-or-fathom?tu=pinball4life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.