IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2250.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2245.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi guys, just got me a Centaur, it was a basement bargean, not working did seller tell me, not used in many many years.

I just plugged game in, no batteries on mpu, no damadge. Game turns up fine. did pit in credit, and startet 1player game and ball bounced op and everything on pf works gerat, NICE... But no sound at all.

I have uploaded pick of cable at sound card, can anyone take a look and upload pics of same cabels on there Centaur?

Also i have red U12 chip can bee bad elsewhere, but my U12 socket is empty, please again somebody check there centaur?

Help guys, this game really looks like a great pin.

IMG_2245.JPGIMG_2245.JPG IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2246.JPG IMG_2247.JPGIMG_2247.JPG IMG_2248.JPGIMG_2248.JPG IMG_2249.JPGIMG_2249.JPG IMG_2250.JPGIMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPGIMG_2251.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Did u go thru game setup? I think sound is #18.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Did u go thru game setup? I think sound is #18.

Please explane a littlebit more
I am not familier with these old bally games

#4 9 years ago

Turn game on. Open coin door. Push the small button inside. This will start set up. Look at backglass and push button until you get to 18. Then push the start button until the other number goes to 3. That will turn on all sound.

#5 9 years ago

will doo, back in 5 mins

thanks

#6 9 years ago

18-3. Still no sound

image.jpgimage.jpg
#7 9 years ago

But cool i learned that all coils work fine now thanks

When i turn the game on, soundboard gives one brief blink on LED, and then blinks 3 times, it should blink 5 times right?

#8 9 years ago

I will have to check mine. I will in about an hour. I had to get my board worked on and there is a great guy here on pinside who does it for $45. I will get u his info. You will probably need a new reverb board (the one on the right side) and there is a guy who sells them on ebay for $100. They cant be fixed cause they have obsolete parts.
It is a beautiful game and the sound is really cool.

#9 9 years ago

Yess please check yours.

My board is missing: U3 U9 U12

U12 is AY38912
http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/9974
Soundgenerator, i think problem is located here.

Manuel does not tell names of U3 and U9, i need to find out and order all at once.

Could bee GREAT with a repairguy, but i live in Denmark

But if possible please let me see some pics of your pin.

Yess playfield really got my attention, totally, and if sounds are like alien poker, then i am in love

#10 9 years ago

Your U3 chip is in the U2 spot...move it over.

#11 9 years ago

The rest of the board looks okay...however you need a cap kit with new pots. Replace the connectors and then try it..without the SIA board plugged in.

#12 9 years ago

Allright, ill move U3 right away.
I can see connectore has bee resoldered.
Whats SIA board?

Ill bee back in 5

#13 9 years ago

Ok, moved the chip, now its on U3 U4 U5.

Unplugged cable on left side of cabinet, but still no sound.

I head noice when i turn the pots on speach and volume.

Oh mannnnnn come on!!! Work....

#14 9 years ago

When i turn the game on, soundboard gives one brief blink on LED, and then blinks 3 times, it should blink 5 times right?

Also i have a brand Ultima MPU board on my kiss, will it bee a good idea to test it in my centaur? can the MPU board couse the problem? or is that wast of time?

#15 9 years ago

Also fount this link, can i test somehow my U8 chip??

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5922

#16 9 years ago

There is NO sound without connected (properly) cable to "Say it again" board.

It's god idea to eliminate "SIA" board instaling FF jumper on "S&T" sound board

edit :
Sorry, after I take a look at photo , FF jumper is already there

#17 9 years ago

You can swap U7 and U11 (same chip) to see if this makes any difference. If it does, that means U7 is probably bad.

Changes U7 U11, did not help.
Reconnectet ALL ICs, did not help

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

There is NO sound without connected (properly) cable to "Say it again" board.
It's god idea to eliminate "SIA" board instaling FF jumper on "S&T" sound board

Sorry, how doo i doo that?

#19 9 years ago

Here is mine. image.jpgimage.jpg

#20 9 years ago

I would not bypass the reverb board. It makes it a one of a kind game.

#21 9 years ago

At "IMG_2247.JPG " at the top (did not see it at first moment..sorry )

Did you checked speaker ?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

ABSOLUTELY.... but now, there is NO sound ( temporary bypass

#23 9 years ago

Good luck with your sound problem, Centaur is a great game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you have it working properly. I'm not much of a tech so can't add much to help you sorry. I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget the sound pot in the coin door also. It's right next to the red button inside the door. Clockwise will turn it up.

#24 9 years ago

Barakandl is the pinsider who fixed my board. Great job, big help.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Here is mine. image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Okey, U9 and U12 is also missing on your board.

I have sat my U2 to U3.

J1 connector on saiItagain board was now connected when i bought the game, can someone explane what this board does?

OKEY important, Bottom right connector, whit the 2 gray cabels, can you take close up pics on thoce cabels, mine is not plugged in like that, only ground connectors

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Oh man, whats a reverb board?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

Good luck with your sound problem, Centaur is a great game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you have it working properly. I'm not much of a tech so can't add much to help you sorry. I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget the sound pot in the coin door also. It's right next to the red button inside the door. Clockwise will turn it up.

Yhanks, that was the first thing i did

Yea playfield layout looks fantastic, love dropdowntargets on right, reminds me of my metallica. Only played 2 games, it seems like it had a magnet on top right side, but im not sure

Can see its got 5balls installed 5balls multiball back in 81????? respect maximum!!!

#28 9 years ago

The reverb board (it says say it again on the board) gives the game sound an echo effect. It is the board mounted to the right of the sound board.

#29 9 years ago

Oh man that sounds great.
Does that mean that i can totally ognore that board dor now and try to work on soundboard only, can just inplig the sia board totally??

#30 9 years ago

I know I'm coming late to the party, but did anyone check the pot in the cabinet? maybe they just had the thing turned all the way down?

#31 9 years ago

Yess check

#32 9 years ago

with great care ( the legs break) ..reseat U8

if that doesnt help its probably time for a good tech to do new rom sockets but a bad U8 will quiet the board and they are hard to find.

also note the test button on the board will make it do a test sequence of noises.

#33 9 years ago

Not sure if anyone has made this clear in the previous posts but Centaur does not require the AY38912 ic in U12. If installed in a Centaur S&T, the board will still function correctly exactly the same as if the ic was not present.

This chip was used in some of the other games that use the S&T board like eight ball deluxe ect.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Did you checked speaker ?

And connections...( S&T J2 pins 1&2)

Is there ANY "noise" , hum...whatever, when you move volume pot ?

#35 9 years ago

Well, I have good news if your interested in swaping out the card. I rebuild the S&T for rustylizard a while back and he burned new sound roms for centaur to test it in his machine. I'm pretty sure he still has it laying around if you wanted to talk to him and see what it would cost to trade it out. At least that way you know you have fully working card.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.