20211112_152738 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
20211112_102710 (resized).jpg
20211112_103042 (resized).jpg
20211111_173348 (resized).jpg
20211111_170212 (resized).jpg
20211111_170704 (resized).jpg
20211111_111324 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago

Those lights are routed to/controlled by the aux lamp board. This is the one that is on the back of the light panel when you open the backbox.

Start by inspecting the board, and all connectors to make sure everything is fully seated.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

Something new happening: the light on the far right (of those 3) goes out occasionally when the red pop bumper right below the light is hit. Not all the time, once in awhile. And sometimes stays off right when I power it on but then turns on solid when game is started.

This is most likely just a flakey socket, since it sounds like it’s intermittent. We can tackle that issue later.

Yes, aux lamp board does t show any smoking guns. How does the main lamp board look ? It’s the one in bottom left of the back box.
Can you also get a pic of the mpu? Top left board in the back box. These are notorious for having a battery puke on the board and causing issues.

#7 2 years ago

Looks like you've got a corrosion issue on your MPU. It's hard to say where else it has spread to, but it should be addressed.

This may or may not be the cause of the lights staying lit, but it will be difficult to determine without taking care of it first.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

You've got a couple options:
-Clean the board yourself (consult pinwiki for details). This involves desoldering & soldering many items
-Swap out the MPU from another game you have (EBD, Lost World) to test. You'll need to swap the ROM too, located at U2
-Buy a replacement new MPU (they're good to have on hand for trouble shooting purposes, even if you fix the original)
-Buy a used MPU (they show up in the market quite often)
-Borrow a MPU for testing

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

Swapping the MPU from my Lost World. Took Centaur's off and the back bottom is corroded, Lost World's looks great.[quoted image]

That could be saved with enough time, effort, and skill. But, when a replacement is $160, you have to figure out if it’s worth it.

Have you put the lost world mpu in? Did the lights issue change?

#14 2 years ago

Sorry for slow response. After looking at the two mpu’s you’d have to swap some jumper for it to work properly.
The centaur mpu has been set to allow just one rom to be used, and the lost world is still using two.

If they were both set up for the same number of chips, you would still need to change all the dip switches to match.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

And...while I have you here...should I swap out the solenoid driver board too? Burn marks on my Centaur, Lost World's looks fine.

That’s not too uncommon. It looks like it has been repaired. For the time, leave it, and if a coil isn’t working, we’ll address that at that time.

#16 2 years ago

The mpu board you linked will work. Altek makes a good board, and lots of places sell them.

Another option, for a little cheaper is here. This is a good board and works just the same:

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally---stern-pcbs.html

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

djblouw Is this a problem waiting to happen? Should I do something about it or just leave it be?
[quoted image]

No that’s like that from the factory. You can leave it.

On a side note: On the lost world mpu, is there a battery still attached (it will be at the bottom of the board). If it looks original, cut it off right now, before it kills the board, like the centaur mpu. Just take cutters and snip both ends, semi-close to the board. When you’re ready to tackle the lost world, you can replace the battery then.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

New alltek mpu board did not solve the light issue

Well, that's not necessarily unexpected. But know we know that the MPU is good. What we don't know is if the connectors are good. Or the aux lamp driver.

So the aux lamp driver board controls these lights, and some others:

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

Both of the slingshots, both pop bumpers, and the chamber feature (top left corner of the pf) lights are controlled by the aux board.

Once the game fully boots up, what do the chamber lights do? And sling lights? And pop bumper lights? What do they do once you start a game?

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

So for someone who is still in the practicing phase of learning soldering...a new aux board then?

Most likely, if you’re not into board repair. But it still may not fix it. It could still be corroded connectors.

So if you buy a new aux lamp board, and it still occurs, you’ll have to re-pin the connectors. Not a tough job, just need a crimped (you’re welcome to borrow my spare)

But yes, next step would be new aux lamp board. (Sorry, pinball isn’t very cheap if you can’t repair everything)

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

Actually just today learned how to re-pin connectors with my new crimper & YouTube.

Awesome. Good job!

Quoted from SJ23:

These? I'm just adding, not desoldering with a wick or sucker, correct?
[quoted image]

Yea those are the ones. Just reheating the current solder and adding a little. Technically the proper way is to remove the old, and replace. But reheating and adding will be sufficient for now.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

djblouw is there a place in GR to get a selection of molex connectors? Or just online?

Just online. I can float you a couple if needed, but they’re good to have available.

When the game is on, if you wiggle the connectors (on aux lamp board, and mpu) does the lights change? Of course, please be careful.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

No change when wiggled.

So, it's looking like the aux lamp board has a address issue. It's either coming one of the chips has failed, or it's not getting the data correctly. The first would be remedied by a new aux lamp board. The second would be by re-pinning the connectors, and reflowing the headers.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

New aux lamp board solved the problem. Thank you all for your help & guidance!
What should I be doing with all my old boards? Sell or toss?

Woohoo. Good job.

Keep them. You can learn to repair them now. Next time you won’t need to go out and buy a new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-light-issue?tu=djblouw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.