Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180118_021903 (resized).jpg
20180118_020723 (resized).jpg
20180117_234439 (resized).jpg
20180117_234247 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I'm relatively new to the pinball scene and as the title suggests I've been encountering a failure to launch more than one ball despite 2+ being lit. It will kick only one ball out (two coils, one releases ball, one launches). The launch coil will fire a few times (with no ball) after the first ball is on the PF (release coil won't) then the game gives up.

I've been looking around on the net and I think I might have found the solution but I am cautious to implement without posting here first.

I've checked all the switches through the self-test switch, nothing is stuck. Below is the fix I found.

Problem -
"The micro switch at the midpoint of the habit trail is the likely problem, the kicker solenoid fires twice is because this switch doesn't register a closure and the game thinks the ball is still on the kicker and hasnt been sent to the PF. The game will only release one ORB in this situation."

Fix -
"After I had ensured that all switches were working OK, the machine was fixed by adding a 0.1 capacitor to the launch switch (halfway up the tunnel). I think that as the switch gets old, it doesn't keep "closed" enough for the MPU to register a ball has passed up through the launch tunnel. The cap lengthens the closure enough for the MPU to see it."

This is a picture if the exact switch on my Centaur II, here are some queries I have.

Where exactly on the switch would I solder the capacitor, in relation to where the diode is?
Maybe the paperclip like switch trigger is too short so is not being closed long enough?

Please any tips or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you!

20180117_234247 (resized).jpg20180117_234247 (resized).jpg

20180117_234439 (resized).jpg20180117_234439 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I think the issue you're having is the switch arm is out of whack. Get a pair of needle nose and gently tug the arm up so that the loop sits around the brass post. This will give you more wire above the playfield for the ball to properly trip the switch.

20180118_020723 (resized).jpg20180118_020723 (resized).jpg

20180118_021903 (resized).jpg20180118_021903 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

The capacitor goes ac cross the wires not the diode.

#4 6 years ago

The wire on that switch is not the oem wire. Looks like someone made it along the way.
Mine was missing altogether and I had to rob a wire off of one of the switches in the coin door and modify it.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for your reply today guys! I lifted up the playfield this morning and was able to fix it without soldering or replacing a thing... I actually feel a little silly about the whole situation.

I figure what caused the problem was a ball being fired and not making it out of the release, rolling back down and knocking the switch arm left and out of place. (As you can see in the picture) So I pushed the switches arm back to the right, and just to be sure, extended the length of the arm by adding a coating. The extended length increases the time the switch is closed, it is now working as normal, no more misfires.

Thanks to all that contributed, I'm so glad I managed to create a fix without getting the soldering iron out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-ii-orb-multiball-issues?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.