5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pintopkp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parkway.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

New to classic Ballys so was hoping someone could give me a hand with this. Got my Centaur home, put it back together (had to take head off to transport), turned it on. Originally it was doing all sorts of random stuff, like it was confused about what switch should do what; found two shorts, straightened them out, and now all is well with that. However, now when I start a game, voice will only say "Centaur" instead of "Destroy Centaur" and there's no music at all (there is sounds though). Then, on subsequent balls, there is no "Destroy Centaur" voice at all. Disconnected/reconnected connectors, they look to be in good shape. Voice test on S/T board is fine. I will say that the 4700 mfd cap on the S/T board is in BAD shape; cap kit on order. However, I think I remember reading that the music is generated from the MPU and not the S/T board? Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

I'd probably start with the trim pots and connectors.

Maybe a stupid question, but which connectors exactly? I'm guessing the large 14/15 pin connector or both the large and smaller one (which also splits to go to the SIA board)?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Reflow the header pins on the sound board and the reverb board, replace the pins on the connectors going to the boards, replace the trim pots (they get flaky with age). I'd also suspect that the IC sockets for the ROM may be an issue.
As far as the music, is there a setting for just having noise vs. background sound? Go into test mode to number 18 and set it to option #3. Try this first before messing with repairs.
Good luck with the repair.

Changed the #18 option; did the trick. Thanks so much!

I'm still going to recap the S/T board as the 4700 cap looks like it's about to blow. Repinning is also in its future. Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
2,900 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Suffield, CT
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parkway.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside