Centaur - Done! Shopped and LED's installed

By Barakawins1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just finished LED's in Centaur, new planetary pinball chrome edition plastics, all board serviced and
connectors/headers repinned and replaced. Plays like brand new!!!!!

Would only trade for Iron Man or ACDC Premium, but otherwise a keeper.

#2 8 years ago

Machine looks beautiful. One question, are all of the lights suppose to strobe like that? It about puts me into a seizure!

#3 8 years ago

Yes.. This is during attract mode only. I'm not sure if you could turn this off but I think so

#4 8 years ago

that's why I went back to regular bulbs. I couldn't stand the strobing of the GI in attract mode which is much more present with LED'S. At the end of a game, the strobing would just about make me puke.

#5 8 years ago

Sounds like keeping the GI as traditional bulbs is better. The rest as LED will make it pop!

#6 8 years ago

No, those LED's do not draw enough current for the SCR's on the lamp board to stay on so they flicker. Only way to make them stop doing that and work correctly on a classic Bally or Sterns is to solder a 1.5k resistor across every single CPU controlled lamp or buy an alltek lamp board.

Hope that helps.

#7 8 years ago

Yeah I was going to say, put an alltek on that. The attract mode looks horrible.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

new planetary pinball chrome edition plastics

How do you like those plastics? Seems like a cool idea.

#9 8 years ago

that has nothing to do with it. the incandescent bulbs flicker in attract mode exactly like the led's are doing in the video, that's the way the game is designed. but the brighter light of the led's makes it way more pronounced.

Quoted from maglar:

No, those LED's do not draw enough current for the SCR's on the lamp board to stay on so they flicker. Only way to make them stop doing that and work correctly on a classic Bally or Sterns is to solder a 1.5k resistor across every single CPU controlled lamp or buy an alltek lamp board.
Hope that helps.

#10 8 years ago

Yea, You can remove the SCR from the circuit and get rid of the flicker in attract mode. That looks bad. I like regular GI and take out the SCR so it looks like a normal Bally game. LED's in the inserts are fine on centaur with the light board modification.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

that has nothing to do with it. the incandescent bulbs flicker in attract mode exactly like the led's are doing in the video, that's the way the game is designed. but the brighter light of the led's makes it way more pronounced.

The connectors allow you to take out the SCR from the circuit. The one glued to the metal plate on the power board.

#12 8 years ago

I actually like the flicker with incandescent bulbs. In attract, it's showing you the different features of the game. (especially when you press the flipper button) so if that is taken out, wouldn't that screw up that feature?
The only time the flickering looks bad is with leds because they are too bright. Normal bulbs look fine with their flicker because they are much dimmer and just don't make you sick like the led's.

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The connectors allow you to take out the SCR from the circuit. The one glued to the metal plate on the power board.

#13 8 years ago

I don't think it's the brightness of the LEDs necessarily, but more likely due to the instant on and off of the LEDs. The incandescents take longer to get the bulb to full brightness, then the filament takes a bit to fade out when the lamp is shut off, resulting in a smoother transition.

If you could use an OCD board in this I think it would be much easier on the eyes (and brain).

#14 8 years ago

Ultimate lamp driver ordered. Once installed will upload difference in lighting. Game plays awesome

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

I actually like the flicker with incandescent bulbs. In attract, it's showing you the different features of the game. (especially when you press the flipper button) so if that is taken out, wouldn't that screw up that feature?
The only time the flickering looks bad is with leds because they are too bright. Normal bulbs look fine with their flicker because they are much dimmer and just don't make you sick like the led's.

The SCR only deals with the GI. The light board controls the control lamps.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

That is not the normal flicker for attract mode. Most of the GI bulbs do not strobe like that in attract mode and stay lit. Here is a short video I just made of my centaur in attract with the alltek board.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

That is not the normal flicker for attract mode. Most of the GI bulbs do not strobe like that in attract mode and stay lit. Here is a short video I just made of my centaur in attract with the alltek board.
» YouTube video

That is much better.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Mine's wired like Baraka's....all of the GI flashes in attract.

#19 8 years ago

Here's another one that flashes everything.

And I noticed other videos that flash like VINs. This is very interesting.

#20 8 years ago

yours is still pretty bad at the slingshot and in the queens chamber area and that's mostly what bothered me in my game with led's. It's just too bright and the flashing makes me feel sick. Especially the sling shots flashing like that.
but your is not nearly as bad as the op's.

Quoted from vwallat99:

» YouTube video

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Here's another one that flashes everything.
» YouTube video
And I noticed other videos that flash like VINs. This is very interesting.

Weird, mine before I did LED's with the alltek board did not flash that way with the incandescents. Centaur 1 vs Centaur 2??????

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Centaur 1 vs Centaur 2??????

That's what I thought too, but looking at the videos it doesn't seem to matter. Mine's a Centaur 1.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's what I thought too, but looking at the videos it doesn't seem to matter. Mine's a Centaur 1.

Almost all of the Centaur 2's stay lit while Centaur 1 looks like they all flash. Atleast from the youtube videos online. Maybe there was more of a difference then the cabinet.

#24 8 years ago

Yeah you're right. I was thinking the TNT video had a Centaur 1, but I looked again and it was a 2. So that's it, 1's flash all and 2's flash slings, pops and chamber.

#25 8 years ago

Yep.. I do think the Alltek board will even everything out though. Centaur just kicks ass.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

» YouTube video

No that is not right. The GI has an SCR on the bottom that controls all of the playfield GI. Yours looks to be jumped. I think.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-done-shopped-and-leds-installed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.