20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider largemann.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 10 years ago

Hello my fellow Centaurians, does anyone know where I could find a set of replacement original score and rule cards? Been trying to track some down for a while with no luck. Willing to pay a decent price for some in nice condition

Thanks!

#150 10 years ago

the spike plungers were already on both my Centaur and Flash Gordon when I got them, I didn't even know there was an alternative. what's the other type like?

#154 10 years ago

so lately my multiball launcher in the shooter lane has been really weak, most of the time it barely gets the ball on to the playfield, and then it will roll back to the plunger. I feel like I'm missing something here, I've done all the obvious things like a new coil sleeve but I can't seem to track the problem down. any ideas?

4 years later
#898 5 years ago

Hi all, hoping someone could help me with installing the home roms from this site: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

I have a Centaur and a Flash Gordon I've been trying to get working with them.

I patched and confirmed the CRCs, then I used a GQ4X to burn the images onto some M2732A eproms. I don't have an external power supply for my burner, but the writing seemed to go smoothly, no errors and the chips all verified.

I put the chips into both games and I can't get either game to get past a solid green LED from boot. I replaced the U2 and U6 in Centaur, and just the U6 in FG.

I've pulled the chips and read them and they seem to verify OK.

I figure I'll start with Flash Gordon since I only have to deal with writing one chip at a time. The U6 I pulled from FG was also a 2732, so I believe the jumpers should be correct. Do I need to order a different model of 2732?

I've also ordered an external power supply for the burner, just in case. Any other ideas?

#900 5 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

One possibility is the M2732A eprom(s) you are using & the programming voltage &/or lack of external power supply could be the issue.
Assuming the Flash Gordon MPU was booting up before you removed the 2732 eprom at U6?
If you are using new "ST" M2732A eproms bought from ebay it's probably not a genuine "ST" but a different new 2732 that has been made in china & has a ST stamp, essentially a "clone". The "fake" ST M2732A eproms are still 2732s & should still work fine but are a bit different & have to be programmed at 25v not 21v as stated on the chip itself. An original ST M2732A would be programmed at 21v but not the clones.
With the external power supply added, set the GQ-4X device selection to the "all (generic)" setting & select "2732 (25v vpp)" & this should work for these eproms, if not it's a different problem. Maybe try a different brand of 2732s?.
If you have a few of the 2732s on hand or an eraser, may pay to burn an eprom first with the known good factory Flash Gordon U6 programme & try that before trying to burn any custom eproms just to see if your PC & programmer are all working ok.
I had trouble creating custom roms for Centaur, everything was set up ok with the burner, the roms burnt & verified ok, but just didn't work. I had the solid LED as well. I re-tried a few more times starting again from scratch & then burning more eproms, doing everything the same, then one lot finally worked. Not sure what was wrong. Once everything is set up & known to work, if still no luck, may pay to try the whole process again, you should get there. Well worth having the custom roms - love them!

They are the ST branded ones from ebay. I have an eraser as well so troubleshooting is a bit easier. Both machines (thankfully) still work when I put the old eproms in.

I tried to burn a few unmodified U6 with the 25v vpp setting, and without the external burner. The writes completed and verified every time, but none would boot in the machine.

It's really strange that the chips read and verify, isn't it? The power supply is usually recommended when the writing process is failing, would it possibly solve this?

I'll order some different chips while I wait for the power supply to arrive.

Maybe these? ebay.com link: 4PCS HITACHI HN482732AG 482732 2732 32KBIT UV EPROM

2 years later
#1129 3 years ago

Haven't turned my Centaur on in a long while, hoping someone can help me with some issues.

When I press the physical test button on the sound board, the sound test plays correctly. But I'm not getting any sound at all while playing the game, or in the self test menu. I have an aftermarket SIA board installed, and the jumpers are all set up appropriately. No other issues appear in the self test menu, ball trough switches all seem to be registering correctly.

The outhole kicker and orbs target reset solenoids aren't working as well, but I assume that is a separate issue?

Any insight appreciated, thanks!

#1131 3 years ago

Reseated every back box connector with no change. I should also mention setting 18 is set correctly at 03, no sound plays at all outside of the sound board test.

#1133 3 years ago

The outhole kicker and orbs target reset solenoids aren't working, seems they may be related after all. I looked at the solder joints on the sound board and they look good, I believe I reflowed them years ago. Could you point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

1 week later
#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) Check cold solder joints to the voltage/solenoid board.
--- I have seen bad transistor connections.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2) Check continuity:
CPU---Volt/Sol board --S&Q
A4J4-1 to A3J4-3 to A14J1-4
A4J4-2 to A3J4-4 to A14J1-3
A4J4-3 to A3J4-5 to A14J1-2
A4J4-4 to A3J4-6 to A14J1-1
A4J4-10 to A3J4-7 to A14J1-8

Thanks for the detailed help, while preparing to dive deeper into the board, I reseated the connectors one more time and turns out that was it after all. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 195.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider largemann.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only?tu=largemann and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.