20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#358 8 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here is a link to demonstrate how to repair or completely replace a non-working or missing Centaur playfield magnet as this particular magnet itself is unique to a Centaur.

http://blog.danjoannis.com/?p=1165

#360 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Yikes! good to know about.
-mof

Yep, it's crude, but did the job!

#363 8 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I had this too once...
I fixed it by making sure the wire gate does not bounce when hit.
Sometimes because of this bouncing the ball slips under the wire.
Bend the wire holding the gate so it falls against the post insted of the small end of the wire from the gate.
Just be careful not to break the wire.

Great, I will try that, mine also bounces back then out under the wire to drain about 50% of the time on both sides, very annoying when you have succeded to bounce it into the inlane, assumed that's just the way it is.

Just checked mine & the wire was falling on the post ok, but noticed the ball was not clearing the gate as it went through, when the ball made contact with the slingshot rubber the wire was still just sitting on top of the ball, the ball would then bounce back out off the slingshot rubber.

I moved the wire from the end hole position to the centre & now the ball clears the gate ok & is working perfectly. Can't believe I didn't notice/check this before.

I'm assuming the centre hole position is the correct default position? & the wire may have been put in the first hole at some point when apart.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

7 months later
#459 8 years ago
5 months later
#529 7 years ago

I think I have a NOS decal to compare.

#530 7 years ago

Here are a couple of decals I have, the top one is probably a NOS from about 20 or so years ago, I don't remember where the bottom one is from, different again to Marco's & the ebay decals, but still incorrect. The top one looks correct. May look a bit out of proportion due to the angle I needed to take the shot & not have a reflection.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#542 7 years ago

Mine has the larger size bingo ball also. I'm pretty certain it would be the original ball in the queen's chamber, the game I have was Australian delivered, I can't imagine how a bingo ball would have found it's way into my game by mistake when you can't even buy bingo balls in Australia (as far as as I know).

4 months later
#660 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Do you think it would be wise for Centaur owners to install a fuse in series with the Magnet power wires? - like the fuse kit commonly sold for TAF. What rating would you suggest?

I was thinking of installing a thermal fuse on my Centaur magnet (& on my Fireball zipper flipper magnet) The fuse could in installed & physically mounted to the magnet with a dob of silicone, the idea is that if the transistor shorts & the magnet stays on & heats up it will trip the thermal fuse before the magnet shorts out & which can also damage the playfield. You can get pretty low temp thermal fuses.

I was thinking that with a regular inline fuse set up the magnet will stay energised if the transistor fails & get quite hot before it blows the fuse?

IMG_6687 (resized).JPGIMG_6687 (resized).JPG

6 months later
#748 6 years ago

My Centaur makes that exact sound randomly, it didn't make that sound at all for the first few years, then it started, it's a weird glitch for sure, I find it annoying. I am going to replace the caps in the S&T board in a hope to get rid of it.

#750 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

My S&T has been recapped and I have a new repro SAI board and mine makes the random sound. Good luck tracking down why it happens, I assumed from the other responses that they all did it.

Ok, I was hoping that might get rid of it. Weird how mine didn't do it for years then started the random noises? maybe someone might know what's going on, or it may just remain a mystery.

Yes, the laughter call is a great addition.

The home roms on Fathom are great too adding some extra speech phrases that were not originally used. I also can't understand why it was not all used when it was there to use.

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The CPU was designed years before the S&T was. By program standards at the factory
A block of memory is spared for fixing software bugs. "Good software practices".
I asked that question about the S*T many years ago at Bally and they said at the time
that there is just not enough room in the ROMs.

Ah, that makes sense, having to leave out some speech calls to save some CPU ROM space.

#757 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Didn't Oliver use some of the previous unused sounds in his Centaur home ROM /27 ? I think he used the space from somewhere else to make the changes. Great ROM, I just don't remember what the sounds were before.

I wasn't aware or extra sounds added to the home ROM? I don't remember noticing any new sounds when I first put the home roms in.

#758 6 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I think the problem might be caused by a poor connection at J1 on the S&T. I have had my Centaur for a long time and never heard that sound until recently -

Will give it a go, mine also was fine for the first few years, never the sound at all, then it started & always happens at some point, even worse it repeats a lot sometimes, almost becomes constant.

#760 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Looking forward to getting home and checking out my J1 to try to fix the sound, fingers crossed.
Could someone please post a pic or description of the striker plate on the under playfield ball launcher mech. .

Is this what you mean? mine is off centre & their is only about 1.5mm sideways movement, so it's always off centre as in the pic. the balls launch perfectly every time, so I don't think being off centre is a problem with ball launches. 1 -1.5mm sideways movement is about normal.

If everything is nice & free moving on the mech & you get an occasional weak launch, it may be a dry join connector issue for the launch coil, SDB (J5 pin 14) that goes to the solenoid expander for this coil or possibly a dry join/problem on the solenoid expander board pins also for this coil.

Also some additional pics of that mech on this thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pre-purchase-centaur-advice-needed

IMG_7422 (resized).JPGIMG_7422 (resized).JPG
IMG_7424 (resized).JPGIMG_7424 (resized).JPG

#762 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Excellent help thanks Joydivision
I will check my solenoid expander board. I read someone else post that their Centaur 2 didn't have a bulb wired to the expander and didn't have two diodes for the launch solenoid as it says on Pinrepair should be there yet it was working. Does yours have the bulb and two diodes one across the solenoid and one on the power in? It would help to know if mine is wired right or not when I check it tomorrow.

One diode for the coil & no bulb for the expander. Wiring should look like the pics. Coil should be AO-25-950.

IMG_7438 (resized).JPGIMG_7438 (resized).JPG
IMG_7443 (resized).JPGIMG_7443 (resized).JPG
IMG_7446 (resized).JPGIMG_7446 (resized).JPG

#765 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Fantastic information thanks guys you have saved me wasting time acting upon information that is irrelevant to Centaur.
Next time you are in Tasmania feel free to drop round and I will shout a few drinks

Sounds good, thanks!

#769 6 years ago

It's called a triac, it relates to the gi flashing on & off that Centaur does.
They are pretty reliable.

You can read about them here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-triac-questions

6 months later
#853 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

STILL trying to troubleshoot the crazy sound my Centaur sometimes makes that I linked to earlier,

Mine does it occasionally. It just starts up, goes for a few months it seems then stops. Has been normal for a while now.

As other people have experienced this too & you have replaced the boards it looks like it is just an anomaly with Centaur. Must admit I hate it when it starts up, it's really annoying & I would like to know if their is a fix for it too.

#856 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Now that I know it still does it with new boards and new connectors I have been wondering if it is something to do with EMI through the wires as others have reported for ghost pop bumper activations. Mine had ghost pops also which I have stopped almost completely by running new power wires to the pop bumpers.

One thing to try if you haven't is add capacitors to the flipper switches, this should help to eliminate interference causing phantom pop bumpers going off.

Post #218

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-fires-with-flipper-activity/page/5

Should be able to find them easily, like the ones from Jaycar for example. They dont have to be the ceramic type.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/100nf-100vdc-polyester-capacitor/p/RG5125

#858 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I will try caps on my flipper button switches soon and let you know how that goes. I have some 47p 50V from jaycar here already which is what vid1900 recommends in the link you provided.

The .047uf caps vid is referring to is for the general switches, for the flipper switch it should be a different value - .1uf/100nf 100 volt as far as I know.

The .047uf caps rated at 50 volts, for a flipper switch, it would be best to use a high voltage cap rated at 100 volts or more.

3 months later
#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Largemann:

Hi all, hoping someone could help me with installing the home roms from this site: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
I have a Centaur and a Flash Gordon I've been trying to get working with them.
I patched and confirmed the CRCs, then I used a GQ4X to burn the images onto some M2732A eproms. I don't have an external power supply for my burner, but the writing seemed to go smoothly, no errors and the chips all verified.
I put the chips into both games and I can't get either game to get past a solid green LED from boot. I replaced the U2 and U6 in Centaur, and just the U6 in FG.
I've pulled the chips and read them and they seem to verify OK.
I figure I'll start with Flash Gordon since I only have to deal with writing one chip at a time. The U6 I pulled from FG was also a 2732, so I believe the jumpers should be correct. Do I need to order a different model of 2732?
I've also ordered an external power supply for the burner, just in case. Any other ideas?

One possibility is the M2732A eprom(s) you are using & the programming voltage &/or lack of external power supply could be the issue.

Assuming the Flash Gordon MPU was booting up before you removed the 2732 eprom at U6?

If you are using new "ST" M2732A eproms bought from ebay it's probably not a genuine "ST" but a different new 2732 that has been made in china & has a ST stamp, essentially a "clone". The "fake" ST M2732A eproms are still 2732s & should still work fine but are a bit different & have to be programmed at 25v not 21v as stated on the chip itself. An original ST M2732A would be programmed at 21v but not the clones.

With the external power supply added, set the GQ-4X device selection to the "all (generic)" setting & select "2732 (25v vpp)" & this should work for these eproms, if not it's a different problem. Maybe try a different brand of 2732s?.

If you have a few of the 2732s on hand or an eraser, may pay to burn an eprom first with the known good factory Flash Gordon U6 programme & try that before trying to burn any custom eproms just to see if your PC & programmer are all working ok.

I had trouble creating custom roms for Centaur, everything was set up ok with the burner, the roms burnt & verified ok, but just didn't work. I had the solid LED as well. I re-tried a few more times starting again from scratch & then burning more eproms, doing everything the same, then one lot finally worked. Not sure what was wrong. Once everything is set up & known to work, if still no luck, may pay to try the whole process again, you should get there. Well worth having the custom roms - love them!

#901 5 years ago
Quoted from Largemann:

I tried to burn a few unmodified U6 with the 25v vpp setting, and without the external burner. The writes completed and verified every time, but none would boot in the machine.

Sounds like the M2732As you have are no good or just not working with your setup. I usually don't bother adding the external power supply & they still burn ok anyway without it every time. If I have problems I add the power supply to rule it out.

Not sure about those 2732s from chipgate, it's too cheap for as start for genuine NOS Hitachi's & looking closely & comparing the logo next to "japan" the detail doesn't look quite like an original, it's blurred a bit, my guess is these are most likely the same new manufactured 2732s stamped with Hitachi stamp in this case - who knows, they are getting smarter all the time with fakes.

I have bought used/erased Hitachi eproms from funkward-tech, 2532, 2716 eproms as well, all work perfectly. I least you know they are genuine brand original eproms.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HITACHI-HN482732AG-482732-2732-32KBIT-UV-EPROM-X-10pcs/160642081675?hash=item256703a38b:g:RwUAAMXQTgZQ~SpJ

I have had eproms that verified OK then wouldn't work in the game, it happens - not sure why though.

2 months later
#909 5 years ago

Lock for backbox

http://pbresource.com/locks.html

The metal bells are hard to find, you could contact knazzo & ask, (great seller) if not, the seller here on ebay has several plastics for sale (depending on how many bells you need) you could remove the bells from the plastic & reuse, it may be the only option. Here is one example he has.

ebay.com link: SUPERSONIC BALLY 1979 PINBALL MACHINE PLAYFIELD ORG PLASTIC REPLACE M 1330 139 2

Knocker assembly (same as centaur knocker).

ebay.com link: Bally FATHOM Solid State SS Pinball Machine MORE CABINET KNOCKER

9 months later
#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

If you have the part number. Check with Pinball resource. He has some things. All by part number.

Pinball resource normally carry both the left & right bracket, I have enquired about these before. About $11.00 each from memory.

1 year later
#1275 2 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Same here I can hit double queens chamber for the 4 drops but not the standup have to shoot it directly. I have the early Bally rebuild because my
Linear flippers stopped doing that after a few years

I could never reach the top target via a queens chamber shot, my linears are very strong, but still can't, I assumed it probably had to be a direct shot.
Just to confirm, you are able to reach the target via a queens chamber shot with the retrofitted early bally mechs?

Might be time to swap them over.

3 weeks later
#1308 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The gauge on an original Centaur magnet wire I measured was roughly somewhere around 30 or 31AWG - don't quote me on this.

May be 27 gauge for rewinding according to someone that had a go (2 goes) at rewinding a Centaur magnet.

http://blog.danjoannis.com/?p=1165

5 months later
#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

They are larger, but HEAVIER than a standard pinball, making the QC a little harder to complete.

I can confirm, in my game, the ball I have in the chamber is larger (& heavier) than a standard ball. The larger ball weighs 95 grams & standard ball 80 grams. For me, it is only just possible for the larger messenger ball to reach the top target (via the rollovers) sometimes, it's hard. My flippers are rebuilt & very strong, so probably the same as when they were new. With the standard size messenger ball it's dead easy to make the top target this way. It doesn't feel right with the standard lighter ball to me.

So, if the games came from the factory with standard balls, it would seem that a lot of people must have replaced them with the larger/heavier Bingo? balls to make it harder.

6 months later
#1700 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Did all games come with the magnet? I seem to recall something mentioned about it, but it's been awhile.

I saw your pic on the other thread, pretty sure all games came with a magnet. I have never seen a Centaur without a factory fitted magnet, even stranger the fact the wiring does not seem to be present in the harness also.

#1702 1 year ago

#1703 1 year ago

I had trouble attaching pics on the previous reply.

Here are some pics of mine.

Edit: Just had another look at your pf. Yes I can see the magnet wiring - you have the magnet wiring in place as it should be.

The two wires coming from the magnet are black & connect to the two playfield mounted terminals with a diode across that already have the wires from the loom connected as seen in my pic.

To verify wiring, check continuity from SDB J5 pin 3 to the terminal with the Gray/red wire & the other terminal with the yellow wires to any solenoid power terminal lug with yellow wires.

IMG_1068 (resized).JPGIMG_1068 (resized).JPGIMG_1069 (resized).JPGIMG_1069 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1089 (resized).JPGIMG_1089 (resized).JPGIMG_1065 (resized).JPGIMG_1065 (resized).JPG
Inkedb34500d6ca338e9638a82acdc7250e13230d5567 (4)_LI (resized).jpgInkedb34500d6ca338e9638a82acdc7250e13230d5567 (4)_LI (resized).jpg

#1713 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Hmmm . . . was never quite that sure about this. (Guess I could just lift up the pf to take a look.) So, that's been some magnet action happening all this time, out near the trapdoor and MB target on Ball 5 ?

The only three instances where the magnet is energised is when:

1) Hitting the release target when the orb release lamp is lit from dropping 1-4 targets down in sequence (with or without any orbs in storage)

2) Queens's chamber release target when targets down (with or without orbs in storage)

2) Hitting the release target after dropping 1-4 targets out of sequence lighting the alternating 2x-5X collect bonus lamps.

One very cool thing thing that occurs on the rare occasion (at least on my game) depending on the timing, is when the magnet is holding a ball & another ball is released from the orb tunnel & kisses the magnet held ball & gets knocked backed to the shooter lane - very nice, gotta have the magnet functional!

#1714 1 year ago

I was wondering why so many of these magnets are burned? as the power line to the magnet is fused with the playfield 1 amp s/b it should be protected if a driver transistor locks on. Maybe incorrect value playfield fuses were installed in games where this happens? or should ideally the other gray/red wire from the driver board be fused also?

1 month later
#1798 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

I played the new code cover the weekend at a local tournament. What a cool update. I went in thinking it was scoring higher, but the rest of the folks in my group averaged around 800k, but they weren’t able to bring in any additional balls, or get jackpot. In the 3 games I played on it I averaged 2m.

New rules: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4130b4cd-9b6b-44ee-bd43-4451f0e05f61

Quoted from Zee:

First I've heard of this. Are there more details somewhere we can read? I'm already running the home version that makes use of the unused speech and has free play (don't want to lose those features).

Yeah, I'm interested to know as well. I have also been running the Oliver home ROMs for years & love the added features (also the Oliver home ROMs are a must for Fathom as well) I thought the Oliver home ROMs had the only updated Centaur code available.

#1803 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Are these available at IPDB ? I had seen a list of some alternate ROM rules (primarily) for tournament use, but did not notice anything that seemed appealing to me.

No, from here. The info is there for the changes to gameplay, just a few things, but much better than stock. The "laugh" Centaur gives you for knocking the Orbs out of sequence is a great addition alone.

https://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

centaur / 27 - down near the bottom of the page.

File name:

p-centv27.zip

It's not a case of just downloading & burning ROMs, it's a bit more, you need patch some files together & create some custom ROMs from memory

#1823 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Been some discussion in the tech threads on how the speech chips can vary one to another and have subtle changes in output. Some will be slightly garbled, others clear as a bell. Aging caps and other board components can also impact output.

If R9 in particular goes out of spec it can affect speech to some degree for sure. You can correct slow, fast, or garbled speech (in some cases) by changing the TMS5200s associated R9 resistor to a different spec, or to the factory spec (if it is out) or do what I did & install variable resistor.

That cleaned up the garbled speech. Fun to hear speech from very slow almost unintelligible to chipmunk sounding speech!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-speech-chip-tms5200nl-in-squawk-and-talk-board#post-5303693

3 weeks later
#1842 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I've had my minty Centaur for a little less than a year. I only recently noticed something interesting during gameplay. When hitting a release target with four orbs "saved", and all the balls have been deployed, the ORBS drop targets do not reset if all five balls are still in play. There's so much going on during a five-ball multiball, that I haven't yet noticed if it's only when the targets are hit in sequence. If that's the case, is the game designed this way?? I'm thinking that the targets might not reset, due to the fact that there are no more balls in the trough to deploy? I could manually force this scenario I suppose, but haven't done it yet.

Wondering if someone might have some insight to this.... Thanks!

They should reset straight away at all times regardless of what's going on.. With maybe a slight delay at most. I just simulated this scenario on my game with all 5 balls in the shooter lane, manually pressing many switches along with the ORBS targets in & out of sequence, the targets reset as normal - when targets dropped in sequence, targets reset, but no ball is of course deployed (as all 5 are out) & the GI doesn't go out momentarily like when a ball is normally deployed. I am running the Oliver custom ROMs, but would expect the same from the stock ROMs.

Odd problem, maybe a dip switch or coin door setting(s) combination that is somehow affecting the reset, not sure how it could though, but all I can think of. Are you running a stock -35 MPU?

2 months later
#1909 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Centaur feature lighting issues. The lights are really dim with the board hooked up. The lights are too bright when the board is unplugged. Volts run 7.2 which is too much and burns out the LED’s. Put incandescents in and they are bright but the 20 amp fuse blows with the aux board plugged in.

Check the voltage at TP1 on the rectifier board which should be 6.5V, if higher there, it could be rectifier R2 ceramic resistor that has gone open - check for 25ohm resistance across R2.

I have seen this before with a failed R2 measuring close to 8V at rectifier TP1, all incandescents were burned out

Plugging in the AU lamp driver just adds more active lamps which may be why the fuse is blowing with more current draw with that voltage & not blowing when unplugged as less lamps in total are lit.

#1911 1 year ago

Awesome thank you! I will pass this along to the guy who is working on it and have him give that a look! He thought with the triac disconnected the machine to be not blowing the fuse? Any suggestions on this? Or still the same issue?

R2 is just one possible cause worth checking/eliminating, 7.2V is a bit high. Not sure on the Triac, would have thought the 20A fuse would have blown both with or without the AU lamp driver board installed if the Triac was shorted. usually a very robust part unless lugs get physically broken. If it does end up needing replacing, this is a suitable Triac sub.

NTE5673

ebay.com link: itm

#1913 1 year ago

If the triac is connected and the aux driver is not, the feature lights work fine and doesn’t blow a fuse. And vice versa, triac connected and aux driver not. If they are both connected, the 20 amp fuse blows shortly after and the feature lights don’t work correctly. Trying the different used aux driver boards I had on the shelf, changed how the feature lights acted, but eventually blew the fuse 20 amp fuse

That sounds more like a partial short somewhere, good idea to look around check for shorts. Start with the braid & then inspect other lamp connections/sockets.

#1919 1 year ago

Yep great job! He found it! Thank you!

You're welcome, great to hear it got resolved!

1 week later
#1961 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Can someone with their centaur open grab a photo of this GI socket near the magnet? I have a GI issue with *most* gi. And I think this looks wired wrong, I think the braid should only go to one tab and the red wire to the other, but I'm not 100 % sure. Thanks!

Your wiring on that socket is correct.

Ah, Monkfe has already got a pic up - you can be doubly sure it's correct now!
IMG_2466 (resized).JPGIMG_2466 (resized).JPG

#1971 1 year ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Does anyone's game laugh when you put in a credit?

No, you only get the laugh when the orbs are hit out of sequence with Oliver's custom ROMs.

#1977 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

You're right. On Centaur, if set to say "2 coins / 1 credit", the first coin drop produces a laugh, the second coin drop it says energize me and adds the credit.

Wow, certainly didn't know that! great, just changed my settings. I always assumed the laugh was unused speech with stock ROMS like with some of the unused speech with Fathom stock ROMS that were then implemented in the home ROMS.

Now it has me wondering if Fathom has other speech calls depending on the coin combinations?

Edit: Fathom plays a sound for any extra coins added for 1 credit, then the usual speech phrase on the last coin for the credit.

#1981 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

I can map out all the speech on the sound boards for both games if you want - a late night project.

That would be great, if time permits.

Quoted from Geocab:

Heck I just learned that Centaur was voiced by a real person

I remember some discussion a few years ago about trying to determine who's voice was actually used for Centaur.

#1989 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Fathom speech will be posted in the Fathom club thread
The following is the list of the sound commands (in HEX) sent to the S&T board that produce speech on Centaur: Comms between the MPU board and S&T are 4 bits wide so commands are sent as two nibbles - lower nibble first then upper nibble.
The sound board test button plays these speech phrases in backwards order:
30= 2X completed
31= 3X completed
32= 4X completed
33= 5X completed
34= Completed
35= Power Orbs
36= Begin Orbion Attack
37= Energize Me
38= Energize Power Orb
39= Activate Power Orb
3A= Power Orb
3B= Guardian Releases Power Orb
3C= Release Power Orbs
3D= Energize
3E= Bad Move Human
3F= Slow Aren't You
40= Sequence Activates
41= Release Target Activated
42= Sequence
43= Only Single Value
44= Side Awards Double
45= Try
46= Doubles Queens Chamber
47= No Class Human
48= Challenge Me
49= Orb Feature
4A= Sequence Feature
4B= Chamber Feature
4C= Guardian Feature
4D= Bonus Feature
4E= Destroy Centaur
4F= Human
50= Centaur
51= Powerlane
52= Ha Ha Haa (laugh)
53= Activated
54= Maximum Orbion Strength Achieved

Thanks Quench for taking the time to document & post all this info.

#2009 1 year ago

<blockquote

Quoted from EvanDickson:

And then my q14 fails again.

Check you have a working #555 lamp & also check for a socket short with the dedicated lamp for the under playfield Aux driver as per pic.

The Q14 SCR relates to this.

IMG_2515 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_2515 (2) (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2100 1 year ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I believe that activates the magnet to collect "bonus" multiplied by whatever multiplier in the lane is lit when you hit the upper stand up.

That's correct, 1-4 targets out of order activates the magnet but does not release any orbs. This is actually a good skill shot as you time your shot from the left flipper to hit the release target aiming to achieve the 5X multiplier - it's quite difficult to get the 5X as it speeds up.

Quoted from Geocab:

I have seen it come on randomly but not sure what conditions causes that.

Target release lamp always comes on regardless on the last ball, but lamp can alternate on & off depending on dip switch #21

Switch #21 to "on" will keep the release lamp lit all the time once it comes on & switched to off will alternate the lamp, but only alternates the lamp on/off when on the last ball - all other balls will stay solid, furthermore, if you have switch #21 off & you have hit 1-4 in order & light the release lamp on any other ball during the game except for the last ball, when the last ball comes around their will be no alternating of the release lamp, will come on & stay on, in other words the lamp must have to have come on for the first time on the last ball to alternate on/off, this is probably why it appears random.

6 months later
#2224 8 months ago
Quoted from Cudaman:

Looks like the pinsider Barakandl's nvrams are out of stock. Any suggestions for other 5101 options?

Just solder in a 5.5v 1 Farad or 1.5 Farad super capacitor (memory capacitor) on the board where the battery originally was, You can leave your 5101 as is. It does what the original NiCad does to supply power to the 5101 & recharges like a battery but will never leak or wear out. Simple.

I have had these on my bally games for 20 years, still fine. Will keep the bookkepping backed up for months with the machine off once charged.

Can see it here. You don't have to drill any holes, just run short leads to the terminals & secure cap with a cable tie.
Probably find them cheaper somewhere else.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Installation_of_Various_Battery_Eliminators

https://au.mouser.com/c/passive-components/capacitors/supercapacitors-ultracapacitors/?q=1%20farad%20super%20capacitor&capacitance=1%20F&voltage%20rating%20dc=5.5%20VDC

IMG_4456 (resized).jpegIMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
#2226 8 months ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Just remember initial charge may require the machine to be on eight hours to get a full charge, and on at least one hour per month.

Good option if you can’t find a NVRAM.

I have the PCD5101s in some games - on those particular chips you can get a couple of months or so retention between power up! - most economical 5101 in terms of current draw.

345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only?tu=joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.