Centaur (resized).jpeg
Centaur and Fathom (resized).jpeg
Card (resized).png
It's (resized).png
1373963-1_large (resized).jpg
56DE9561-21AB-4035-BF1D-E9DE4FA2F323 (resized).jpeg
C2E062AF-E18C-479C-8D5D-5CB63430F832 (resized).jpeg
46AAEC07-B17D-4D49-B720-961F757E341B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1245 6 months ago

Final polishing completed, the new playfield is now ready to go in. I noticed for the first time that the end of the centaur's whip has claws!

20210501_141218 (resized).jpg20210501_141322 (resized).jpg
#1253 6 months ago
Quoted from semicolin:

... I like to take my time.

I am taking the meticulous route myself, as this is a "keeper" machine. The new playfield is from the first run of CPR repros from about 10 years ago; I'm only just getting time to dig in. One insert had an edge lifted slightly. I sanded it down flat, then prepped and re-coated the whole thing with DuPont chroma-clear.

I will report back on whether the holes/dimples are in the correct places. Fortunately I can use the old playfield to compare (though it has several instances of topside hole placements that are off). The goal is to make the game look nice and play even better without having to mess with upgrading the flippers. I want to be able to knock down all 4 drop targets in the queen's chamber.

#1256 6 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Make sure you use a bingo ball in the chamber. That’s what shipped originally and it does make a difference In completing the chamber

Bingo ball? Bingo ball? Are they still available? I think my machine might have a regular pinball in there. Queen's chamber is impossible to complete, even after rebuilding the linear flippers.

#1259 6 months ago

I looked them up and bingo balls are slightly larger in diameter than a pinball: 1-1/8"

They will be heavier if they are the same material. Wouldn't that make them harder to hit up to the top of the chamber?

#1265 6 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I might try this since mine needs a perfect shot from an already fast ball to hit the target in the back, plus I have a spare one I can toss in.

Let us know how that works. You might be a trendsetter!

#1268 6 months ago
Quoted from semicolin:

There is much discussion earlier in this thread if you search for bingo.

Yeah I should have done that first. Bingo ball it is.

#1279 6 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I had the game back in 1980's The game was made with regular standard pinballs.
The distributor for Bally never had a service bulletin for changing the balls etc,etc,etc.
It is another pinside mod being treated as a fact.
"I can't wait when Pin Stadium lighting will be declared OEM to 1990 Data East pinballs".

You're the kind of Pinsider I like to hear from: someone with experience from back in the day. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

#1282 6 months ago

OMG it's my immediate future. Thanks for sharing; at least I will be mentally prepared for the worst.

#1293 6 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

No. It was just plain Blue tempered steel[quoted image]

I'm going to try spring stainless steel for this flap and see if it looks good.

3 weeks later
#1314 5 months ago
drevil100billion (resized).png
#1318 5 months ago
Quoted from nibre:

I would be very grateful if someone could take a high resolution picture of this area (and send it to me).
[quoted image]

Here's a JPG made from the vector artwork - maybe it's good enough for your purposes.

Centaur_UpperShooterLane_300DPI (resized).jpg
#1323 5 months ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Hello club members,
I am working on a friends Centaur machine and have a few questions. This machine has not been operational for sometime and bringing back a dead machine is a bit challenging.
Anyhow I have got it back working again (original CPU) with the exception of the sound boards. I did purchase a cap kit from Big Daddy for the AS-2518-61B Squawk & Talk board, installed them along re-flowing pin connections. Also removed all chips (that are removable) cleaned their legs and re-installed. After all this work I still have no sounds. The S&T board appears to boot correctly, LED on turn on 1 quick flash followed by 4 flashes. I can also get white noise out of the speakers if I turn the volume all the way up. I am at a loss as where to go next. Is this a lost cause? Would I be better to replace it? I see Pinball Life carries a replacement board for the S&T board (not sure if this replaces both boards) and is it reliable as has anyone used this replacement board before?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Did you re-cap the reverb board as well?

#1325 5 months ago

I did not, just the S&T. Do you think that would make a difference?

Since all the audio passes through the reverb board, yes. You might try bypassing it to see if there is audio coming from the squawk & talk board.

#1327 5 months ago

Okay, how do I do that?

You could connect a small speaker or headphones to pins 9 & 10 of the squawk & talk output. Then power on the game and press a flipper to hear the "Challenge me..." monologue.

If you get sound, then suspect the Say It Again board needs work.

#1331 5 months ago

Okay tried this test. I did hook up the bottom speaker to 9 &10 as you suggested, hope this speaker was okay to try with. I got no sounds when I pushed a flipper button. Was this incorrect using the speaker in the machine?
Would the next step be replacing the rom chips?

I just realized I had the pins wrong - tap into pins 8 and 9, NOT 9 and 10. 9 and 10 are both ground pins.

8 and 9 will give you the raw audio sent to the reverb board. 7 and 9 will give you the output of the reverb board (if the cable is connected).

Also, make sure the volume control on the inside of the coin door is turned up before re-trying the test. Finally, make sure you did not make any mistakes when re-capping the board. Electrolytic capacitors are polarity sensitive, as you know.

#1333 5 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

My Centaur magnet has been sorted out. It took me a couple hours but my repair worked so I'm happy. As you can see my coil had a screw take it out. I removed the coil from the game and started to remove the magnetic wire. At about 300' I found the first break. At 400' I found the second. I ditched the 100' broken section and re-attached the 300' foot lenght to the coil. It tested at 57 ohms after the repair.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dang, good job man! Watch out, everyone will be coming to you for magnet/coil repairs in the future.

#1334 5 months ago
Quoted from Zee:

I just realized I had the pins wrong - tap into pins 8 and 9, NOT 9 and 10. 9 and 10 are both ground pins.
8 and 9 will give you the raw audio sent to the reverb board. 7 and 9 will give you the output of the reverb board (if the cable is connected).
Also, make sure the volume control on the inside of the coin door is turned up before re-trying the test. Finally, make sure you did not make any mistakes when re-capping the board. Electrolytic capacitors are polarity sensitive, as you know.

I was right the first time. I zoomed in on my PDF and saw that 9 and 10 ARE the correct pins for audio out. Sorry for the confusion....my mind is going.

#1338 5 months ago

Okay, so I did this test with no luck on sounds. Recommendations on what to do next?

Now you are getting into advanced electronic diagnostics. I would check J1 for corroded pins. Then I'd watch the inputs at J1 with a scope to make sure the sound select signals are making it to pins 1,2,3,4,12. I'd check the op-amps and if all those tests come out good, then go for the ROMS.

#1340 5 months ago

Hey, have any of you Centaur owners tried the replacement backglass offered by Marco/Planetary? I'm wondering about its quality...I tried a repro a few years ago but it was not very good.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/G-440-20
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-G-440-20V2&Category_Code=GS-476

I'm wondering how this compares to the original.

Thanks in advance.

2 weeks later
#1352 5 months ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Excited to be in the club! Scored this partially restored centaur with a new cab and CPR Playfield. Wow this such a cool and unique pin! Way ahead of its time IMO.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! Nice looking machine. Is it really a new cabinet, or a restored one? If new, do you know who made it?

Thanks,
-Zee

2 months later
#1377 65 days ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

I just joined the club today. Dumb question. About 10 minutes After finishing a game all balls were released as I was cleaning the glass. Scared the shit out of me. Did I cause some kind of reset or is this part of the attract?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You can turn it off via a dipswitch setting. Get the manual if you don't have one yet.

1 week later
#1379 57 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So who here is hoping and waiting the the Haggis Centaur?

It would be interesting. Maybe they could make better use of the magnet. Better rendition of the centaur himself.

Endless possibilities but they would have the same problem as the makers of the newer star wars movies - how to treat the source material with reverence while stepping it up with the new version.

3 weeks later
#1392 35 days ago

It is unattached at the top. I put mine under the plastic so nobody can see...

ShooterLaneBallGate (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1402 26 days ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Centaur inna HOUSE! WoooHOOOOO!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats. It's a very special game.

#1406 25 days ago

It's

It's (resized).png
1 week later
#1429 14 days ago
Quoted from SJ23:

After playing this Centaur at my uncle's house for the past 30+ years, I finally talked him into selling it to me. My life is complete

[quoted image]

Your uncle is one cool dude.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside