20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1400 2 years ago

FINALLY joined the brotherhood! WoooHOOOOO!! Okay, so…..I’ve turned OFF dipswitch #30 so balls don’t deploy during attract mode, however the playfield inserts will still flash. That said, in attract mode, is playfield GI supposed to flash too?? I’ve seen a couple YouTube vids where GI stays on while inserts flash, but in attract mode my whole playfield flashes in unison. Am I missing something obvious here?? Thanks, and DESTROY CENTAUR!!

46AAEC07-B17D-4D49-B720-961F757E341B (resized).jpeg46AAEC07-B17D-4D49-B720-961F757E341B (resized).jpeg6A0A7601-852E-48B3-A58F-FDF8C6C1AFEB (resized).jpeg6A0A7601-852E-48B3-A58F-FDF8C6C1AFEB (resized).jpeg
#1401 2 years ago

Centaur inna HOUSE! WoooHOOOOO!!!

56DE9561-21AB-4035-BF1D-E9DE4FA2F323 (resized).jpeg56DE9561-21AB-4035-BF1D-E9DE4FA2F323 (resized).jpegC2E062AF-E18C-479C-8D5D-5CB63430F832 (resized).jpegC2E062AF-E18C-479C-8D5D-5CB63430F832 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1414 2 years ago
Quoted from VindictiveX:

you can also stop the GI from flashing in Attract mode. First thing I did when I got mine. It was way too much flashing...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-turn-off-attract-mode-on-centaur

Yes, a guy on Facebook posted that link! Now I don’t feel like I’m going to have a seizure every time I turn the game on! LOL

#1415 2 years ago
Quoted from kds70:

Congratulations ... i´ve got my Centaur2 6 weeks ago and i´m totally happy with it. Some things to do but in a really good shape.
So a big "hello" from me to this centaur community thanks to be a part of it.
This "bingo ball". Seems that they didn´t exist in germany. Where could i buy one and which subwoofer u´ve hooked up please?
I´ve read many of those bingo balls existing in centaur pinballs. But nothing appears in manual.
This is my normal "pinball" waiting in chamber. Do you have a detailed picture from you bingo ball in there?
greetings Kai[quoted image]

I’m a new member of this cool-kids Centaur club too, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep without a bingo ball in there. A regular ball works just fine! If your plastics were worn out to the point that they no longer held the ball in the chamber, then maaaybe a bingo ball would be a temporary fix. I have new plastics in my machine, and the regular size ball works perfectly!

#1430 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Can anyone take a picture of the rebound switches on the left side for me? I'm trying to bring a playfield back after it had been robbed of parts and pieces and the wiring for these two switches is unclear. [quoted image]

Hope this helps.

8F085A61-4E7F-4335-8FC9-BF834F854D9A (resized).jpeg8F085A61-4E7F-4335-8FC9-BF834F854D9A (resized).jpeg
#1431 2 years ago

Okay, so I’ve got this entire playfield tricked out in Comet LED’s. 2SMD frosted for GI, and 2SMD clear (color-matched) for inserts. Looks like a million BUCKS, however…..the four green arrows at the 1-4 drop targets are not swapped due to the fact those li’l buggas are covered by the drop target assembly! UGH!! I’ve never had to remove one before, but it seems I have to, to get to those four lamps. Can anybody help me understand how I begin to remove it??? Am I gonna have to desolder and take it apart piece-by-piece??? Any advice or best practices MOST welcomed!! Thank you!!

FAE2643A-3E16-464E-BB49-A9C95D362685 (resized).jpegFAE2643A-3E16-464E-BB49-A9C95D362685 (resized).jpeg
#1434 2 years ago

SunnRAT, you ROCK!! That looks like it’ll make it a lot less gruesome than I thought….THANKS!!

#1435 2 years ago

sunnRAT …….thanks man, all is now right with the world!!

AEE0F422-72E5-4CE0-BF1C-60ED3EC0F2FF (resized).jpegAEE0F422-72E5-4CE0-BF1C-60ED3EC0F2FF (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#1480 2 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

What's everybody's latest thinking on Centaur Leds? I started to replace the GI with Cointaker bright white LED's and it is almost too bright. It's a bit distracting it seems. Same with the backbox gi. It's so white it almost doesn't look right. However, I like the extra pop of LEDs in the controlled under playfield lighting. Especially the blues, greens and reds. What have the rest of you done? Leave it old school with incandescent throughout? Warm white LEDs? Bright white LEDs? A mixture of incandescent and LEDs?

I too use 2-smd frosted “sunlight” whites in the GI, and 2-smd color-matched bulbs for the controlled lamps. It’s a VERY dramatic look, especially during attract mode, but a perfect look for this game. I put a 3 smd (red) strip behind the Bally logo to eliminate the ‘half-lit’ look it had with a single red bulb. And finally, I disabled the flashing GI during attract mode too, as it was just too much.

374DA123-EAA3-4635-B445-253CAD604695 (resized).jpeg374DA123-EAA3-4635-B445-253CAD604695 (resized).jpeg44E02B90-E407-40B7-9454-77863E80C7FF (resized).jpeg44E02B90-E407-40B7-9454-77863E80C7FF (resized).jpeg63151DC9-3201-4BF7-A499-2B0A8A4E1FCF (resized).jpeg63151DC9-3201-4BF7-A499-2B0A8A4E1FCF (resized).jpeg918032FD-96D1-43E4-88CF-D71E9C99807A (resized).jpeg918032FD-96D1-43E4-88CF-D71E9C99807A (resized).jpegC1890314-7FB1-4BEF-94CC-0CEE7E8CD737 (resized).jpegC1890314-7FB1-4BEF-94CC-0CEE7E8CD737 (resized).jpegF0479B40-31DE-47C4-A423-75B64A6F3093 (resized).jpegF0479B40-31DE-47C4-A423-75B64A6F3093 (resized).jpeg
#1483 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

That looks great. Now the playfield artwork needs illumination too - the bright lights make it all but invisible.

Might be the camera work. It’s really not that dark in person. ‍
7F42997F-B0E8-41D2-9DAE-CC158CC78101 (resized).jpeg7F42997F-B0E8-41D2-9DAE-CC158CC78101 (resized).jpeg

C5966EB4-D638-41AA-9520-66673A469C1F (resized).jpegC5966EB4-D638-41AA-9520-66673A469C1F (resized).jpeg
#1488 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

I love the artwork which is very much a product of its time - with strong Heavy Metal influence. In fact, I am investigating some low-profile lighting to hide in the cabinet or somewhere on the playfield in order to illuminate the main characters.

Id be real interested to see how that might look. Please keep us updated with any results!

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Has anyone found a source for the pop bumper bodies? Everyone seems to be out of them, except European vendors.
thx

https://www.thepinballwizard.net/playfield-parts/pop-bumper-body-c-970-5/

#1493 2 years ago

Wow, I see they’re out of stock now. I just got some here recently! I also remember seeing a 3D printed version, but can’t remember where that was. Still trying to find out.

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Are there no businesses *here* that have gotten into the business of 3D printer fabrication of otherwise very-scarce-to-unobtainable parts ? Seems like that could be a niche someone would have found worth filling . . . except where they might run into a rights-exclusivity issue, as per some Gottlieb stuff.

I've gotten slingshot kicker heads here, and even though it looks like they make just about everything ELSE, I don't see pop bodies.....yet anyway.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/tech/mechanical-parts?s=0&tag=swinksreproduction#more-products

3 weeks later
#1575 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

looking for some alternate price plate for my machine, anyone know where these are from?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/123675

Maybe message the seller to find out?

#1580 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

What I see routinely is that a forceful carom that goes through the return gate on its own is pretty rare. Without the right nudging technique applied, it mostly ain't happening. Perhaps an adjustment like you referenced would even things up a bit more and reduce the frustration. However, if that involved drilling new holes in the pf for posts placement, I would not be down with that.

Are you using rubber or silicone? I've found since I replaced all the rubber rings with silicone, the ball bounces back into the inlane maybe 50% of the time. And during multiball, you really have to be on your toes if the balls go down that lane, since they're often fed back into play when you least expect it!

Silicone (resized).JPGSilicone (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1590 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I have ordered these, and am looking forward to their arrival. Do you replace ALL of those rings, or only certain ones ? In looking over the pf, it looked to me like certain placements might constrict the lane and actually impede ball travel ?

I don’t see a reason you’d have to replace ALL of them if you choose not to, however replacing all wouldn’t necessarily cause any “constriction”. I chose to replace them all since I went from the basic white ones to all blood red. Really stands out well against the black and white.

122E40A5-9324-476F-B39E-84DB0D0901E8 (resized).jpeg122E40A5-9324-476F-B39E-84DB0D0901E8 (resized).jpeg
#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Those replacement parts arrived yesterday. So far, I have just swapped out the "donuts" on the Outer posts, as this did not require unscrewing anything. I will try to illustrate with a couple attached pics. First one shows the respective rings, for comparison's sake. At a casual glance, it looks to me as though the black ones that had been on there were actually a tad larger. And -- so far -- the results have been negligible. Might I need some donuts that are in fact a larger diameter than this . . . and "bouncier" ? Should I be forcing them down further on the conical posts, closer to the pf surface ? Second pic covers the "After" status. At the moment I'm thinking that continuing further with replacement of the other donuts would not improve things appreciably.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hmmm....not sure what to tell ya. I've only had my game a short time, and yesterday, I stripped it down for a cleaning/wax. The bounce back to the inlane actually increased as a result of the carnauba wax. I'm thinking too, that the frequency of this could also determined by the exact placement of the posts. Mine has a CPR playfield, and I know that holes don't always line up exactly as they did from the factory. Also the pitch of the playfield could also determine the frequency of the carom too. Seems like there's a lot of variables here.

1 week later
#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The crusty linear mechs in my Centaur play decent enough, the Queens chamber shot to the end is hard but do-able.
Regarding returns from the outlanes, as sleepygtr said it's all in the nudge. I get a good percentage back in play which can make for long ball times.

I would tend to agree. Four of my early SS Ballys have the linear flippers. I have never noticed a discernible difference between the strength of those, and the strength of the earlier style on my ‘78 Playboy. The rip on my Skateball spinner can be startling, the left orbit to the lagoon trap on Fathom can be a blur, a left flipper smack on EBD often (annoyingly) overshoots the saucer, and Centaur’s queen’s chamber target is never not a possibility, albeit with a bit of oomph on the stand-up. Keep the assemblies in good condition, and there’s really no compelling reason for that retrofit, in my opinion.

2 weeks later
#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

What DOES sometimes happen about one out of ten times on my Centaur is, after I make the Guardians or Spell ORBS in sequence, a single ball is kicked to the playfield, and then the kick to playfield solenoid will fire again, with no ball, usually four times, with accompanying sound and playfield blackout, then the game will give up. This is not a problem with the mechanical ball release ball or launcher, because the single ball did load and launch. What's happening is, the MPU did not see switch 33 (end of trough) closing when the launched ball rolled past it, and so it thinks the ball is still in the launcher, and it's trying repeatedly to kick the ball out and looking for a pulse from switch 33.
If the MPU doesn't see switch 33 close, it's one of two things: Switch 33 is not working at all (broken/misadjusted/wiring/diode etc.), or switch 33 closed and opened so quickly that the MPU did not see it. In my machine it's apparently the latter, because the switch is good. I've tried adjusting the trip wire, and I installed a .05 switch cap on the switch to try to extend the pulse. I think that my trip wire is too short or the wrong shape, and that's why the pulse is too short.

Mine does the exact same thing, also with the same infrequency!! I’ve also read a couple other testimonials describing this scenario, and I have get to learn of anyone coming up with a reliable fix. Strange…

2 months later
#1720 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That release target should have a capacitor on it. The same can be said for all stand up targets in Centaur.

I have five classic Ballys (1978-1981), and standup targets on all of them each have a capacitor.

1 month later
#1771 1 year ago

I’ve had my ‘81 Centaur not quite a year, but seriously, this is the first time I’ve noticed this brass-colored rod spanning the width of the ORBS drop target bank, that attaches to nothing! It moves freely, and is looped on one end, so as not to come out. Anybody know what the heck this is, and what it’s for??? Thanks…

E4E4E904-6F44-4816-A8F6-F18D32A7AE18 (resized).pngE4E4E904-6F44-4816-A8F6-F18D32A7AE18 (resized).pngF52C6D44-E2D0-461A-BFCC-4A46AEC9CD20 (resized).jpegF52C6D44-E2D0-461A-BFCC-4A46AEC9CD20 (resized).jpeg
#1775 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

A coat hanger…..interesting mod……the question is why?

I know, right?? One end is bent at a perfect 45° angle, and the other end is looped. I guess I can assume it doesn’t appear in anyone else’s Centaur then?? LOL

It’s a real head scratcher, for sure!

#1777 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Bally add a second rod with washers to the drop target assembly to act like a stop.
It was mounted to the larger open holes next to the drop target springs.
1) when drop targets reset... the extra rod pushed on the lower pivot heel of the drop targets.
2) it forced the targets to pivot forward rather than up.
3) this abrupt jam, to the plastic target pivots, suppressed the problem of hyper extensions,
-- and helped keep the drop target metal support from jumping the back switch plate.
4) over the years, the jam rod would snap in two. Thus removed, and only leaving the metal
--- oblong scares to know the part was once there.

Do you know if any images that exist of this part, and what it looked like when originally installed? I can't imagine what the end of the 45 degree angled rod was attached to. It is almost as long as it is wide!

1 week later
#1795 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm finding that a full plunge frequently goes air ball, and the ball lodges here. I'm guessing the ball springs off the trap door. Anyone else ever have this issue? And if yes, is there an adjustment I can make to the trap door, rather than plunge softly and remind others to do so too?
[quoted image]

I had the EXACT SAME issue when I brought this game into the lineup almost a year ago! Only difference is.....mine lodged there not on plunge, but when an extra ball was launched from the orb channel. If multiple balls were launched, the first would lodge, and each subsequent ball would hit the stuck ball, and fall back and stack up in the shooter lane. It was baffling, and irritating as all hell!! I posted this issue on a Facebook repair page and got tons of responses and solutions, none of which worked. Most of them suspecting the wrong coil on the orb release channel, or a bad adjustment of the metal ball channel itself. I was stymied for awhile, but in the meantime, I removed all the plastics to replace all the white rubbers with fire engine red Titan silicone, and when I replaced the plastics, I never had the issue again, not even one time!!! The orbs have launched smooth as silk ever since. To this day, I can't figure out what that was all about.

orb (resized).jpgorb (resized).jpg
#1807 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm thinking this is "slow, human" when you fail to make a lane change and the ball rolls over a lane that's already lit.

The two callouts for lane change fails are “Slow, aren’t you!”, and “Bad move, human!”.

1 week later
#1838 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Can I get a clear picture of the wiring order of connector J3 on the SDB? What I have and what the Manual says, don't seem to jive on pins 12 and 13.

Cen1 (resized).jpegCen1 (resized).jpegCen2 (resized).jpegCen2 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1841 1 year ago

I've had my minty Centaur for a little less than a year. I only recently noticed something interesting during gameplay. When hitting a release target with four orbs "saved", and all the balls have been deployed, the ORBS drop targets do not reset if all five balls are still in play. There's so much going on during a five-ball multiball, that I haven't yet noticed if it's only when the targets are hit in sequence. If that's the case, is the game designed this way?? I'm thinking that the targets might not reset, due to the fact that there are no more balls in the trough to deploy? I could manually force this scenario I suppose, but haven't done it yet.

Wondering if someone might have some insight to this.... Thanks!

#1845 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Odd problem, maybe a dip switch or coin door setting(s) combination that is somehow affecting the reset, not sure how it could though, but all I can think of. Are you running a stock -35 MPU?

Yep, it’s odd for sure. I had a similar situation on my fathom when the 123 targets didn’t always reset. That was a simple switch gap adjustment when I noticed the number three target didn’t score before the targets failed to reset. It’s interesting tho that on my Centaur, it only happens during multiball, though I’m still not sure if it happens all the time, since I’m concentrating on just keeping the balls in play. I’ll do a little research to see if it’s a dip switch or coin door setting. Thanks!

Also, I am running an Alltek MPU.

1 month later
#1857 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

How strong is your right flipper?
I've been thinking mine is weak because I can only reach about the first two of the captive drop targets if I shoot the left mini loop, and can only occasionally and just barely get the captive "release" target with a direct hit (ie, flipper to captive ball, no travel through mini loop).
I've cleaned up the flipper button switches, rebuilt the flipper assembly, repinned the power board connectors, swapped power boards. I can't seem to get any more power. Is the right flipper to the left captive targets just a weak shot that's hard to make in general?

I rebuilt my flipper assemblies (just the essentials), and with the right momentum and aim, I can get a good smack on that back target. It's not easy....but then again, it's not supposed to be.

1 week later
#1865 1 year ago

I bypassed the triac shortly after I bought my Centaur. I couldn't handle the strobing effect in attract mode, especially after I converted the game to sunlight LED's. The only side effect of this is the GI will not go completely dark when an orb is released. Only the controlled lamps go dark.

1 week later
#1903 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

They need to sit a bit proud from the playfield when they are DOWN. This way there's a little bit of a ramp on the drop so the ball tends to not sit there.
Some people have gone to extremes on games and added a piece of wood in between the drops so the ball can't catch there either; I wouldn't do that solution.

I had this issue on my EBD, Fathom, and Centaur, each with CPR playfields. Turns out the 1,2,3,4 targets on Centaur were ADJUSTABLE, but oddly, not on EBD or Fathom. So, while Centaur was the easy one, after buying a small roll of magnet tape, I cut a strip to length and added it to the floor of the drop target assembly in the area where the dropped targets rest on EBD and Fathom. It was the perfect thickness to prevent a ball from hanging up against another drop target. Never had an issue since.

81KB11oA45L._SX522_ (resized).jpg81KB11oA45L._SX522_ (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1921 1 year ago

I’m still having the OCCASIONAL orb misfire on my Centaur. I know that switch mis-adjustments in the saved ball channel can cause the game to lose track of the balls. There’s three or four microswitches in the saved orb channel, and I’m still not entirely sure which switch(es) to adjust to get them all synced consistently. Several months ago, when adjusting the switch midway up the channel, I accidentally snapped off part of the actuator. It didn’t really seem to affect gameplay, but occasionally when a lot of balls drain simultaneously during 4-5 ball multiball, the game comes to a standstill due to two balls stacked up in the outhole (against the ball sitting on the trough switch)! When I remove the three balls sitting in the outhole and raise the playfield to release the remaining two balls, they both roll out from under the flap. It’s my understanding that there should only be one ball (not two) in the deployment lane at a time, no?

That said, could the broken actuator be part of the problem here, since if a ball not deploying for some reason rolls backwards, it’ll get hung up at the broken actuator?? I can’t imagine a ball not deploying fully though, since the kicker is strong and balls deploy well every time.

Anyway, I would like to replace the actuator so that a ball rolling backward will fall back to the kicker if not deployed. Can I fashion one of my own, or replace the whole switch?? If so, what type of wire is used?

Hope all this makes sense, since it’s a complicated issue that I’m doing my best to articulate. I can’t seem to manually duplicate it either, as it’s only an occasional problem. Many thanks for any feedback.

0B27D322-ED12-40F3-A92B-3ABE0E034B78 (resized).jpeg0B27D322-ED12-40F3-A92B-3ABE0E034B78 (resized).jpeg2F62E304-78B9-4922-A2E9-5DA21471E239 (resized).jpeg2F62E304-78B9-4922-A2E9-5DA21471E239 (resized).jpegF2CFFA9C-2E60-49D6-894E-6498C86D8345 (resized).jpegF2CFFA9C-2E60-49D6-894E-6498C86D8345 (resized).jpeg
#1946 1 year ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Has anyone developed something similar to a GI OCD board for Bally games? The Centaur I just picked up came with LEDs in the GI and in attract mode, the flashing is very difficult to look upon. If the LEDs faded in and out like an incandescent, I bet it would be fine.

You can disable that flashing GI during attract mode. As a result, the game won’t momentarily go dark when balls are deployed from below, but for me, that is MUUUUCH less annoying than that strobing, pulsating GI! I felt like I needed a Xanax just to get anywhere near it!! LOL Plus, when all my other games around it are lit up, that blackout feature isn’t really that effective anyway.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-turn-off-attract-mode-on-centaur

1 week later
#2008 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Anyone got a pic of the wiring for this one?[quoted image]

E419765E-F289-488F-9D91-8F5D102768A2 (resized).jpegE419765E-F289-488F-9D91-8F5D102768A2 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#2033 1 year ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Right now the only solution is to bypass the triac in the cabinet, which would also remove any in game effects like the lights shutting off when a ball is added to the field.

Exactly what I did, and for me, that was just the solution I needed! The slingshots will still strobe in attract mode, rather than EVERY SINGLE GI LAMP, and now it’s a LOT less seizure-inducing! Subjective for sure, but unless this game is played in complete and total darkness, the one-second that the game occasionally goes dark isn’t really useful anymore.

1 week later
#2085 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Here are some comparisons and then there is the single. Does centaur stack two singles together? It is strange they don’t have an exact replacement part?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

http://www.pbresource.com/buttswit.html

#2086 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The cabinet flipper switches are two completely different assemblies put together.
Bally parts manual list the general flipper cabinet switch as
#ASW A1041 = heavy duty contacts.
The lane change switch part number is not documented.

http://www.pbresource.com/buttswit.html

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#2121 1 year ago

On my machine it seems like the spring tension is not that strong. My theory was, the drops when hit hard straight on we’re bouncing back and resetting on the ledge before the spring had enough force to pull the drop down. So when I saw your post in the bond thread I was thinking this may be the same situation. But yeah I should get some replacement springs if this doesn’t help. Good thinking.

My ORBS targets have had double springs on each target since I picked up the game a year and a half ago. Haven’t had an issue with bricking, ever. They drop perfectly, fast or slow hit. The springs that are the more silver colored ones seem to be a higher tension than the darker ones.

I’m an if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it kinda guy! LOL

3C9B6E88-E895-49DB-9566-F53619CF2812 (resized).jpeg3C9B6E88-E895-49DB-9566-F53619CF2812 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#2171 12 months ago

I replaced my MPU with an ultimate MPU board. I have speech but no music. the squawk and talk was playing music and speech before and now it stopped playing the background music with the ultimate board hooked up? I am wondering if I have a jumper wrong?

Have you tried the self-test button adjustment?

E446DB2B-BDBE-4E25-B28D-06F2E6A1229A (resized).jpegE446DB2B-BDBE-4E25-B28D-06F2E6A1229A (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#2215 9 months ago

Yeah, those trough switches are tricky. I was having coils firing and not deploying, or coils not firing at all. It seemed to occur mostly during a multiball scenario with some of the balls draining in quick succession. It was that last switch before the ball drops into the deployment channel. FINALLY figured out that when that when the ball rolled to the end and stops right before the launch channel, the actuator wire would slip up the side of the ball, causing the computer to think there was no ball there. The situation occurs only occasionally now since I tweaked that wire, but when trying to adjust it, even a miniscule amount, can sometimes cause that actuator wire to slip up the OTHER side of the resting ball. Opening the coin door and reaching under, I can use my finger to push the ball(s) upstream a bit, so the wire comes down and sits under the ball properly. The wire isn't loose at the switch at ALL, and I haven't yet figured out a way to adjust the wire to sit under the ball correctly, every time. Still hoping to find an answer, but other than that "occasional" glitch, the game plays flawlessly.

1 month later
#2236 7 months ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Ive been having to remove the apron a bunch of times to make some adjustments in the trough. Mine has screws with a threaded nut behind the apron. What a pain in the butt.
Is this how all Centaur machines are? I thought about trying a clipnut if I can find any that work.

Mine had that too when I bought it. Luckily a slightly larger screw was able to get a good firm grip on the apron. And yeah….finding a clipnut that fits was definitely a challenge!

1 week later
#2243 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Does anyone in here have an extra 4 bank inline drop mech? If so, I’m your guys as I need one for a Centaur build. Let me know. Thanks!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/164085

#2245 7 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Inline (queens chamber)

Ah sorry! Missed the "inline" part. D'OH!

1 month later
#2269 5 months ago
Quoted from Zee:

I think this topic needs a key post on the theory of operation of the ball trough, shooter lane feeder and autolaunch mechanism.

Man, I sure could’ve used one! I’ve had my beautifully restored game for about two years now, and was occasionally having issues with multiball coils firing, but not releasing a ball. Took me forEVVVER to figure out that the actuator wire on that last microswitch before a ball drops into the launch channel occasionally slipped up the side of the ball as it sat there waiting to be deployed into the launcher, causing the computer to think there was no ball sitting there! Months and months of tweaking that actuator wire FINALLY resulted in getting my game dialed-in. I’ve been playing the game for weeks now with no phantom coils firing, and all balls being deployed as earned!! Whew!!

3 weeks later
#2276 4 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

reading a recent post about trough switches in this game...he said the wire(the one on the switch) slipped around the side of the ball and wasn't making the proper depression it should. something certainly like this could happen with moving the machine ...something to look for...and I'm all for documentiing the trough mechanism...!

Yep, dat was me (see post #2269).

1 month later
#2280 3 months ago
Quoted from Zee:

That's good! If we could add in what switches are activated as balls go through (and symptoms when these go bad), it would get us closer to a complete picture of how it all works.

Oh man, I wish I could see a video on that! That last switch before a ball drops into the shooter channel can be a real tempermental PITA! My game is pretty dialed in now, but it took MONTHS of tweaks before I could play 10-20 games without a phantom coil fire! That actuator wire would periodically slip up one side of the ball. When adjusted accordingly (and sliiiiightly), it would periodically slip up the OTHER side. This was usually in four or five multiball scenario when the balls might drain quickly. That switch has a ton of angles and bends, and choosing exactly which segment(s) of the actuator wire to adjust can be
a REAL challenge! The fact that it's buried a bit deep inside the assembly doesn't make it any easier, and I even used my switch adjustment tools, which have a long reach.

2 months later
#2313 21 days ago
Quoted from Deez:

Aren't they controlled lights that won't work with led? I can't remember.

I've disabled the GI strobing during attract mode, however the chamber lamps will strobe during attract mode (on the loop that highlights the different "features"), as do the lamps under the slingshot plastics. When a game starts, they turn on steady, as do the lamps under the slingshot plastics. Anything happening during a game has no effect on those lamps, as they remain on for the duration of the game.

#2317 20 days ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:What did you do to accomplish this?

There’s a triac down by the power supply. Locate the lines attached to it and disconnect the connectors. You can just set them aside, as you won’t use them. Then attach the connectors that remain. This allows the GI to bypass the triac that controls that strobing during attract mode.

IMG_7633 (resized).jpegIMG_7633 (resized).jpegIMG_7634 (resized).jpegIMG_7634 (resized).jpeg
#2318 20 days ago

This switch that’s fixed midway up the orbs deployment channel on my game doesn’t have an actuator wire that allows a ball to roll back down if it doesn’t deploy properly. I’ve tried removing the wire, but it’s attached so tightly that I’m afraid I’ll damage the switch. I can’t seem to source a new switch and actuator wire. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

IMG_7635 (resized).jpegIMG_7635 (resized).jpeg
#2320 20 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You should have gotten a time machine, and go back to the 1980's
to your local Bally distributor. Then you could order the part that is broken.
1) you need to use what you have and fined the wire actuator raw part.
1a) shape the part like the old broken one and add the missing part that someone cut off.
1b) reference photos or ask a pinsider to take clean clear photos of the part.

1) Just about every other part I’ve had to source on all nine of my early ss Ballys is available at the various online pinball parts suppliers, so I guess I just didn’t think a “time machine” would be necessary.
1a) As I mentioned, I tried removing the actuator wire but have not been successful. And whaddya know, I was even prepared to use what I have. I Still am.
1b) I already know what I need. No photos will be necessary.

Appreciate the feedback.

#2323 19 days ago
Quoted from Deez:

https://twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1074
You should be able to use this and shape the actuator. The Bally parts book should have a drawing off the proper shape of you can just do whatever works.

Awesome, thank you!

#2324 19 days ago
Quoted from monkfe:

my switch looks the same, I didn't realize it was not supposed to be that way...but it makes sense that it should allow the ball to move each way...something else to do...

It’s the same exact shape as an inlane or outlane wireform. It just needs to let a ball roll both ways. Not exactly sure yet what’s happening there, but for some reason my game seems to occasionally drop two balls into the channel when only one is supposed to enter it. It’s only happened a couple times, but it will somehow get a ball stuck in front of that switch. Once I fix the switch, I have to delve into the rest. Fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only?tu=Dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.