20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.
#1801 1 year ago
Quoted from Malfeitor:

Just searched all 37 voice entries from the S&T ROM and can't find anything like you mention. Nothing enunciates similar to slew on that I can tell.

That's the best rendition of it that I can suggest. If I was able to record it somehow, would it be possible to attach the sound file to a post here ? Is there a printed list of all the callouts somewhere ?

#1802 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Yeah, I'm interested to know as well. I have also been running the Oliver home ROMs for years & love the added features (also the Oliver home ROMs are a must for Fathom as well) I thought the Oliver home ROMs had the only updated Centaur code available.

Are these available at IPDB ? I had seen a list of some alternate ROM rules (primarily) for tournament use, but did not notice anything that seemed appealing to me.

#1803 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Are these available at IPDB ? I had seen a list of some alternate ROM rules (primarily) for tournament use, but did not notice anything that seemed appealing to me.

No, from here. The info is there for the changes to gameplay, just a few things, but much better than stock. The "laugh" Centaur gives you for knocking the Orbs out of sequence is a great addition alone.

https://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

centaur / 27 - down near the bottom of the page.

File name:

p-centv27.zip

It's not a case of just downloading & burning ROMs, it's a bit more, you need patch some files together & create some custom ROMs from memory

#1804 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

This is completely unrelated, but can someone tell me what exactly is the callout that sounds something like "Slew On !" Seems like it's one of those that on some games wind up being unclear. Muddy speech tech.

I believe the callout you are referencing is, “Slow, aren’t you?” which can be heard when a ball rolls down a lane that is already lit.

Centaur would prefer you react faster with your lane change!

#1805 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

This is completely unrelated, but can someone tell me what exactly is the callout that sounds something like "Slew On !" Seems like it's one of those that on some games wind up being unclear. Muddy speech tech.

I'm thinking this is "slow, human" when you fail to make a lane change and the ball rolls over a lane that's already lit.

#1806 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm finding that a full plunge frequently goes air ball, and the ball lodges here. I'm guessing the ball springs off the trap door. Anyone else ever have this issue? And if yes, is there an adjustment I can make to the trap door, rather than plunge softly and remind others to do so too?
[quoted image]

1) normal shooter spring Williams plain silver.
ref. 10-148-1 .035 dia wire.
2) adj. ball release alley wire forms and transition plate.

#1807 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm thinking this is "slow, human" when you fail to make a lane change and the ball rolls over a lane that's already lit.

The two callouts for lane change fails are “Slow, aren’t you!”, and “Bad move, human!”.

#1808 1 year ago

List of Centaur Voices.....

Maximum orbian strength achieved
Activated
Ha ha ha
Power lane
Centaur
Human
Destroy Centaur
Bonus feature
Guardian feature
Chamber feature
Sequence feature
Orb feature
Challenge me
No class human
Doubles queens chamber
Try
Side awards double
Only single value
Sequence
Release target activated
Sequence activates
Slow aren’t you
Bad move human
Energized
Release power orbs
Guardian releases power orb
Power orb
Activate power orb
Energize power orb
Energize me
Begin orbian attack
Power orbs
Completed
5x completed
4x completed
3x completed
2x completed

#1809 1 year ago
Quoted from Malfeitor:

Just searched 37 voice entries from the S&T ROM (that I have) and can't find anything like you mention. Nothing enunciates similar to slew on that I can tell.

Never mind, already answered above. Slow, aren't I.

#1810 1 year ago
Quoted from Zee:

First I've heard of this. Are there more details somewhere we can read? I'm already running the home version that makes use of the unused speech and has free play (don't want to lose those features).
Thanks,
-Zee

Quoted from Joydivision:

Yeah, I'm interested to know as well. I have also been running the Oliver home ROMs for years & love the added features (also the Oliver home ROMs are a must for Fathom as well) I thought the Oliver home ROMs had the only updated Centaur code available.

The guy coded it via Arduino. Evidently not for sale, but cool rule set for the game.

#1811 1 year ago
Quoted from Blu:

The guy coded it via Arduino. Evidently not for sale, but cool rule set for the game.

I see. That puts it firmly in "nope" territory for me. Thanks for the info.

#1812 1 year ago
Quoted from Malfeitor:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s what I call a great response. Thanks Malfeitor

#1813 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

List of Centaur Voices.....
Maximum orbian strength achieved
Activated
Ha ha ha
Power lane
Centaur
Human
Destroy Centaur
Bonus feature
Guardian feature
Chamber feature
Sequence feature
Orb feature
Challenge me
No class human
Doubles queens chamber
Try
Side awards double
Only single value
Sequence
Release target activated
Sequence activates
Slow aren’t you
Bad move human
Energized
Release power orbs
Guardian releases power orb
Power orb
Activate power orb
Energize power orb
Energize me
Begin orbian attack
Power orbs
Completed
5x completed
4x completed
3x completed
2x completed

Thanx for that list.

In Post # 1804, ant_ wrote:
"I believe the callout you are referencing is, “Slow, aren’t you?” which can be heard when a ball rolls down a lane that is already lit."

You are probably correct with that . . . and if so, it sure sounds to me as though that phrase is going fast and getting slurred, making a misidentification easy. I think this has happened also sometimes with the occasional callout from *other* noted pins -- including at least one that I own. This was likely more apt to happen in early SS days, rather than with the more contemporary sound hardware. The major example of that eludes me at this moment, but I'll mention it the next time I'm reminded of it.

If anyone else has some examples like that, feel free to chime in.

#1814 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Thanx for that list.
In Post # 1804, ant_ wrote:
"If anyone else has some examples like that, feel free to chime in.

Funhouse: I always thought Rudy was saying "How odd" when everybody else told me it's "Power up".

#1815 1 year ago
Quoted from Zee:

Funhouse: I always thought Rudy was saying "How odd" when everybody else told me it's "Power up".

There is a term for when color and sound become perceived to do two separate things.
Some people will hear one thing and others hear something different.

#1816 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

There is a term for when color and sound become perceived to do two separate things.
Some people will hear one thing and others hear something different.

I *know* what I'm hearing, and am confident that it's not far off the mark.

Happened to recall the one that was temporarily out of reach before: It's from Embryon, another from the "Class of '81", and tied to that can-bail-you-out right side smaller Return flipper. The feature is called "FlipSave", but the associated callout comes across as "Hurtsave." Anyone: tell me you've played that pin a lot, but don't get the same impression. How does that callout come across to you ? I'd have to call this a case of poor enunciation.

#1817 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I *know* what I'm hearing, and am confident that it's not far off the mark.
Happened to recall the one that was temporarily out of reach before: It's from Embryon, another from the "Class of '81", and tied to use of that can-bail-you-out right side smaller Return flipper feature. The feature itself is officially called "FlipSave", but the associated callout comes across as "Hurtsave." Anyone: tell me you've played that pin a lot, but don't get the same impression. How does that callout come across to you ? I'd have to call this a case of poor enunciation.

#1818 1 year ago

Don't know what happened there with Post 1817 -- was supposed to be an edit.
How do you delete a post that went wrong ?

#1819 1 year ago

A funny saying that Bally had, was from the Beat the Clock pinball game.
Back in the day, when I was working at an arcade place, the high level of
noise from all the video games and such would distort all voice call outs.
Beat the Clock voiced attract call out, would sound like "Eat the C*ck".
Atari Pole Position; deep,deep,BEEEP would cut through the air.
This would happen do to the sound frequencies of the Fletcher Munson curve.

#1820 1 year ago

Cool. I always thought it was saying "Subtle, aren't you." Slow makes more sense.

#1821 1 year ago
Quoted from Malfeitor:

Cool. I always thought it was saying "Subtle, aren't you." Slow makes more sense.

Been some discussion in the tech threads on how the speech chips can vary one to another and have subtle changes in output. Some will be slightly garbled, others clear as a bell. Aging caps and other board components can also impact output.

#1822 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Some will be slightly garbled, others clear as a bell. Aging caps and other board components can also impact output.

Add also S&T can pickup radio stations too.

#1823 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Been some discussion in the tech threads on how the speech chips can vary one to another and have subtle changes in output. Some will be slightly garbled, others clear as a bell. Aging caps and other board components can also impact output.

If R9 in particular goes out of spec it can affect speech to some degree for sure. You can correct slow, fast, or garbled speech (in some cases) by changing the TMS5200s associated R9 resistor to a different spec, or to the factory spec (if it is out) or do what I did & install variable resistor.

That cleaned up the garbled speech. Fun to hear speech from very slow almost unintelligible to chipmunk sounding speech!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-speech-chip-tms5200nl-in-squawk-and-talk-board#post-5303693

#1824 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Add also S&T can pickup radio stations too.

My friend sent me a video of Genie that would pickup a local radio station when the board was touched.

#1825 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

& also @Joydivision,
That would certainly explain a lot.

#1826 1 year ago
Quoted from izzy:

Has anyone found a source for the pop bumper bodies? Everyone seems to be out of them, except European vendors.
thx

Does anyone know of any 3D printing files to make these? They appear to be out of stock for all vendors.

#1827 1 year ago

I've been looking for over 2 years for spares. Usually find one or two at PF swap meets. I have used 3D printers for 20 years in aircraft business for protos and the FDM printers probably won't have the strength or integrity to hold up to the abuse of a pop bumper and the clip ears will break immediately. SLA materials are getting better all the time and might be a better option. I have a carbon fiber printer at work that would probably hold up structurally however it's quite expensive to print on it and is only black (naturally...) That said, if you want to try it, I'll model one and send you an STL to test it on your printer. If there was a lot of interest for these, I could source making a soft injection die and shoot it with a 15-30% glass fill and would part last forever. Die charge would be around $3500 and be capable to inject around 250 max

#1828 1 year ago
Quoted from Malfeitor:

I've been looking for over 2 years for spares. Usually find one or two at PF swap meets. I have used 3D printers for 20 years in aircraft business for protos and the FDM printers probably won't have the strength or integrity to hold up to the abuse of a pop bumper and the clip ears will break immediately. SLA materials are getting better all the time and might be a better option. I have a carbon fiber printer at work that would probably hold up structurally however it's quite expensive to print on it and is only black (naturally...) That said, if you want to try it, I'll model one and send you an STL to test it on your printer. If there was a lot of interest for these, I could source making a soft injection die and shoot it with a 15-30% glass fill and would part last forever. Die charge would be around $3500 and be capable to inject around 250 max

I'm willing to give it a go with ABS that has been vapor treated, I think it would hold up.

#1829 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm willing to give it a go with ABS that has been vapor treated, I think it would hold up.

Ok. I'll model it up. Give me a bit. I'm pretty busy with work/traveling etc.

#1830 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Have seen something like that on *other pins*, but fortunately not so far on Centaur. (I did once have the captive ball wind up behind a couple of the inline dominos -- easily corrected by sliding the glass halfway off.)

I believe the callout you are referring to says "Slow, aren't you"

#1831 1 year ago
Quoted from LogicalHighs:

I believe the callout you are referring to says "Slow, aren't you"

I think you must be correct on that. However, I think most people would hear it fast and slurred together, the way that I described. This seems to have gotten explained in a couple of recent thread posts. It probably would not be worth the trouble or expense to fix this -- either on Centaur or with the given example on Embryon.

#1832 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I did buy replacement pop bumper housings (the domes . . . and maybe also the "collar" piece they click or partially screw into ? -- either from Marco or PinBallLife, can't recall now. These were just a solid red, not really matching the originals' appearance exactly. They did work though. Durability in use will be anyone's guess. But that might not be the part you were all referring to ?

#1833 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

But that might not be the part you were all referring to ?

No.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8325-5

#1834 1 year ago

And PBR in NY would not have them either ?
(This is exactly the type of part that I normally try to get spares of.)
How common is it for these to break ?
Seems like these would apply to a lot of other games ? If so, wouldn't there be a substantial demand for them ?
If someone ever remakes them somehow, so that they are available once more, please post the info here.

#1835 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

And PBR in NY would not have them either ?
(This is exactly the type of part that I normally try to get spares of.)
How common is it for these to break ?
Seems like these would apply to a lot of other games ? If so, wouldn't there be a substantial demand for them ?
If someone ever remakes them somehow, so that they are available once more, please post the info here.

typical they only break when removing the caps, problem is the “clips” are fragile on old games as the plastic has gotten dry and brittle. Pretty sure these were being remade at one point, as I picked up a couple back when CPR did their centaur playfield run to replace the damaged ones on my game when I did the swap. and pretty sure they were not old stock. Not sure how many games used them, I know I have a set for my EBD that I have yet to install. Hmm, wonder what haggis is using, given they are remaking that era Bally machines. Pretty sure fathom used that same style body/cap.

#1836 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

. . . Hmm, wonder what haggis is using, given they are remaking that era Bally machines. Pretty sure fathom used that same style body/cap.

I'm not familiar with that Mfr.'s name, but we could ask them ? It shouldn't amount to a state secret or anything like that.

#1837 1 year ago

Can I get a clear picture of the wiring order of connector J3 on the SDB? What I have and what the Manual says, don't seem to jive on pins 12 and 13.

#1838 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Can I get a clear picture of the wiring order of connector J3 on the SDB? What I have and what the Manual says, don't seem to jive on pins 12 and 13.

Cen1 (resized).jpegCen1 (resized).jpegCen2 (resized).jpegCen2 (resized).jpeg
#1839 1 year ago

Thank you very much! I'll check this tomorrow.

1 week later
#1841 1 year ago

I've had my minty Centaur for a little less than a year. I only recently noticed something interesting during gameplay. When hitting a release target with four orbs "saved", and all the balls have been deployed, the ORBS drop targets do not reset if all five balls are still in play. There's so much going on during a five-ball multiball, that I haven't yet noticed if it's only when the targets are hit in sequence. If that's the case, is the game designed this way?? I'm thinking that the targets might not reset, due to the fact that there are no more balls in the trough to deploy? I could manually force this scenario I suppose, but haven't done it yet.

Wondering if someone might have some insight to this.... Thanks!

#1842 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I've had my minty Centaur for a little less than a year. I only recently noticed something interesting during gameplay. When hitting a release target with four orbs "saved", and all the balls have been deployed, the ORBS drop targets do not reset if all five balls are still in play. There's so much going on during a five-ball multiball, that I haven't yet noticed if it's only when the targets are hit in sequence. If that's the case, is the game designed this way?? I'm thinking that the targets might not reset, due to the fact that there are no more balls in the trough to deploy? I could manually force this scenario I suppose, but haven't done it yet.

Wondering if someone might have some insight to this.... Thanks!

They should reset straight away at all times regardless of what's going on.. With maybe a slight delay at most. I just simulated this scenario on my game with all 5 balls in the shooter lane, manually pressing many switches along with the ORBS targets in & out of sequence, the targets reset as normal - when targets dropped in sequence, targets reset, but no ball is of course deployed (as all 5 are out) & the GI doesn't go out momentarily like when a ball is normally deployed. I am running the Oliver custom ROMs, but would expect the same from the stock ROMs.

Odd problem, maybe a dip switch or coin door setting(s) combination that is somehow affecting the reset, not sure how it could though, but all I can think of. Are you running a stock -35 MPU?

#1843 1 year ago

Regarding the MB target, for MB release at the appropriate times: I've had the capacitors replaced with new ones, as discussed earlier in the thread, but am still not seeing much in the way of the desired improvement. There still seem to be what look to me like very legitimate target hits in that situation which fail to trigger the Multiball. Some good hits do, some don't -- but it's kinda haphazard. Also, if the scoring multiplier happened to be lit in that lane at the same time as an available MB, a solid shot up the lane may trigger ONE of those TWO (or sometimes neither !), but NEVER both of them. Is it supposed to be that way ?

#1844 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Regarding the MB target, for MB release at the appropriate times: I've had the capacitors replaced with new ones, as discussed earlier in the thread, but am still not seeing much in the way of the desired improvement. There still seem to be what look to me like very legitimate target hits in that situation which fail to trigger the Multiball. Some good hits do, some don't -- but it's kinda haphazard. Also, if the scoring multiplier happened to be lit in that lane at the same time as an available MB, a solid shot up the lane may trigger ONE of those TWO (or sometimes neither !), but NEVER both of them. Is it supposed to be that way ?

Fresh capacitors should greatly improve the MPU’s ability to register hits. Maybe the cap is installed wrong or maybe the gap on the target is set too wide. Post a picture. The group might see something wrong.

#1845 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Odd problem, maybe a dip switch or coin door setting(s) combination that is somehow affecting the reset, not sure how it could though, but all I can think of. Are you running a stock -35 MPU?

Yep, it’s odd for sure. I had a similar situation on my fathom when the 123 targets didn’t always reset. That was a simple switch gap adjustment when I noticed the number three target didn’t score before the targets failed to reset. It’s interesting tho that on my Centaur, it only happens during multiball, though I’m still not sure if it happens all the time, since I’m concentrating on just keeping the balls in play. I’ll do a little research to see if it’s a dip switch or coin door setting. Thanks!

Also, I am running an Alltek MPU.

#1846 1 year ago

Picked up a project this week...so I need some things....I need a manual, but looking at the online manual, I don't see any of the mech parts breakdown..where to find those as I need some minor springs and such...Thanks gents...

#1847 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Picked up a project this week...so I need some things....I need a manual, but looking at the online manual, I don't see any of the mech parts breakdown..where to find those as I need some minor springs and such...Thanks gents...

Go to planetary pinball and search for 1981 bally parts manual.

#1848 1 year ago
Quoted from Static1976:

Go to planetary pinball and search for 1981 bally parts manual.

Thanks I did find it...tell me if this looks off...manual doesn't show this bar(bottom of spring)...and the springs look longer no(in the manual)?..also the skinny bar behind the one the springs are attached to doesn't look like it belongs either...can someone tell me what the deal is with this mech?

20220901_130736 (resized).jpg20220901_130736 (resized).jpg

#1849 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Thanks I did find it...tell me if this looks off...manual doesn't show this bar(bottom of spring)...and the springs look longer no(in the manual)?..also the skinny bar behind the one the springs are attached to doesn't look like it belongs either...can someone tell me what the deal is with this mech?
[quoted image]

Everything in the picture is correct.

#1850 1 year ago

Rod: Spring L = x.y ( 2 REQ'D )
0360-00723-0_XF

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only/page/37?hl=geeteoh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.