20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.
#1701 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I saw your pic on the other thread, pretty sure all games came with a magnet. I have never seen a Centaur without a factory fitted magnet, even stranger the fact the wiring does not seem to be present in the harness also.

Could you see the wire for the magnet in those pics? Am I wrong in thinking there should be a gray and red wire flopping around lose in that area? I did dig out the old playfield, and I was wrong about the screw holes for the magnet bracket. They are there, so....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-magnet-retrofit-question-where-s-waldo#post-6968724

#1702 1 year ago

#1703 1 year ago

I had trouble attaching pics on the previous reply.

Here are some pics of mine.

Edit: Just had another look at your pf. Yes I can see the magnet wiring - you have the magnet wiring in place as it should be.

The two wires coming from the magnet are black & connect to the two playfield mounted terminals with a diode across that already have the wires from the loom connected as seen in my pic.

To verify wiring, check continuity from SDB J5 pin 3 to the terminal with the Gray/red wire & the other terminal with the yellow wires to any solenoid power terminal lug with yellow wires.

IMG_1068 (resized).JPGIMG_1068 (resized).JPGIMG_1069 (resized).JPGIMG_1069 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1089 (resized).JPGIMG_1089 (resized).JPGIMG_1065 (resized).JPGIMG_1065 (resized).JPG
Inkedb34500d6ca338e9638a82acdc7250e13230d5567 (4)_LI (resized).jpgInkedb34500d6ca338e9638a82acdc7250e13230d5567 (4)_LI (resized).jpg

#1704 1 year ago

The magnet is so anticlimactic in Centaur. Mine was broken for years before I noticed it. Now that it works, I barely notice it. It really doesn’t do anything for the game. That being said, the pinball tech in me says it needs to be 100% functional. Knowing it is missing would bug the hell out of me.

#1705 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The magnet is so anticlimactic in Centaur. Mine was broken for years before I noticed it. Now that it works, I barely notice it. It really doesn’t do anything for the game. That being said, the pinball tech in me says it needs to be 100% functional. Knowing it is missing would bug the hell out of me.

I am right there with you on both counts. If I can find the red gray wire, I can follow the instructions for putting in a replacement.

#1706 1 year ago

What is a suitable replacement for the magnet?

I’m pretty sure mine was(is) toast when I bought the game. When I went to do the playfield swap shortly after I picked it up I noticed one side of the magnet was disconnected and the pf was discoloured.

After completing the swap I had a few issues on first start up and I disconnected it again to rule it out. Haven’t tried it since.

I can’t imagine it makes it breaks the gameplay but I also have a voice telling me it should be working lol

#1707 1 year ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

What is a suitable replacement for the magnet?
I’m pretty sure mine was(is) toast when I bought the game. When I went to do the playfield swap shortly after I picked it up I noticed one side of the magnet was disconnected and the pf was discoloured.
After completing the swap I had a few issues on first start up and I disconnected it again to rule it out. Haven’t tried it since.
I can’t imagine it makes it breaks the gameplay but I also have a voice telling me it should be working lol

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-20-9247-magnet-retrofit

But if you don't want yours, I'll take it! I need to figure out why I do NOT have a lose wire that should be there for the magnet.

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

But if you don't want yours, I'll take it! I need to figure out why I do NOT have a lose wire that should be there for the magnet.

You have both the wires. Joydivison circled where they connect in his last photo. Now you just need a magnet.

#1709 1 year ago

You have both the wires. Joydivison circled where they connect in his last photo. Now you just need a magnet.

Oh, I didn't see that! Thank you, and thanks Joydivision! I had skipped right over that. More coffee! Pinside at it's best!

#1710 1 year ago

Looking for a wiring harness for the Centaur backbox. I have all the other wiring, just missing the stuff in the backbox, to the displays.

#1711 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I saw your pic on the other thread, pretty sure all games came with a magnet. I have never seen a Centaur without a factory fitted magnet, even stranger the fact the wiring does not seem to be present in the harness also.

Hmmm . . . was never quite that sure about this. (Guess I could just lift up the pf to take a look.) So, that's been some magnet action happening all this time, out near the trapdoor and MB target on Ball 5 ?

#1712 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

There are some design choices there that I'd change. Hopefully everyone goes for the new, and leaves the original to the rest of us! ha!

Yeah, but good luck finding an original with an unworn pf. And if you did the price would be through the roof.

I'd like to hear reports on how closely and how well the Fathom remake replicates the original. I was a bit surprised at how well the remakes of AFM and Monster Bash turned out. Quality differences in playing them were not really discernible to me. I just had a chance to play the TBL remake, which still carries the name of Dutch Pinball, but I'd heard that they were being manufactured in China. (?) The original TBL was known to be relatively fragile and prone to breakdowns -- too much so for a regular public deployment. This continuation or redo seems far more reliable, but doesn't quite seem to play the same, at least to me, and I have some reservations about the quality of construction.

Frankly, I would not have bet on Fathom getting remade, and I'm glad to have been wrong on that one. What are the chances for remakes of TAF, White Water, TOTAN, TZ ? The odds on the first and last of those are probably low, in part due to the licensing requirements. (But then, I didn't see *Why* we really needed another version of JP or Godzilla . . . .)

So, what's trending these days in the remake sweepstakes ?

#1713 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Hmmm . . . was never quite that sure about this. (Guess I could just lift up the pf to take a look.) So, that's been some magnet action happening all this time, out near the trapdoor and MB target on Ball 5 ?

The only three instances where the magnet is energised is when:

1) Hitting the release target when the orb release lamp is lit from dropping 1-4 targets down in sequence (with or without any orbs in storage)

2) Queens's chamber release target when targets down (with or without orbs in storage)

2) Hitting the release target after dropping 1-4 targets out of sequence lighting the alternating 2x-5X collect bonus lamps.

One very cool thing thing that occurs on the rare occasion (at least on my game) depending on the timing, is when the magnet is holding a ball & another ball is released from the orb tunnel & kisses the magnet held ball & gets knocked backed to the shooter lane - very nice, gotta have the magnet functional!

#1714 1 year ago

I was wondering why so many of these magnets are burned? as the power line to the magnet is fused with the playfield 1 amp s/b it should be protected if a driver transistor locks on. Maybe incorrect value playfield fuses were installed in games where this happens? or should ideally the other gray/red wire from the driver board be fused also?

#1715 1 year ago

I've ordered all the parts to do the retrofit. What gauge wire should I be using for the harness wires?

#1716 1 year ago

I also ended the ad I had here for my Centaur. I'll repost it once I have the missing magnet installed.

#1717 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

The only three instances where the magnet is energised is when:
1) Hitting the release target when the orb release lamp is lit from dropping 1-4 targets down in sequence (with or without any orbs in storage)
2) Queens's chamber release target when targets down (with or without orbs in storage)
2) Hitting the release target after dropping 1-4 targets out of sequence lighting the alternating 2x-5X collect bonus lamps.
One very cool thing thing that occurs on the rare occasion (at least on my game) depending on the timing, is when the magnet is holding a ball & another ball is released from the orb tunnel & kisses the magnet held ball & gets knocked backed to the shooter lane - very nice, gotta have the magnet functional!

Think I've seen your last scenario a handful of times.

One thing that's baffling and annoying is that almost half of the *definite clean hits* to the orb release target on my Centaur, when a MB condition has been earned (or on Ball 5, where it is automatically engaged), do NOT trigger that release. It's a "What Happened Here ?!" My tech has gone over this a couple times, and the cause remains elusive.

#1718 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

One thing that's baffling and annoying is that almost half of the *definite clean hits* to the orb release target on my Centaur, when a MB condition has been earned (or on Ball 5, where it is automatically engaged), do NOT trigger that release. It's a "What Happened Here ?!" My tech has gone over this a couple times, and the cause remains elusive.

That release target should have a capacitor on it. It has either failed or been removed. The capacitor extends the time that the switch is closed on impact allowing the slow MPU to detect the event. The target still works with the capacitor removed but misses a lot of the impacts. Finger pokes will always work but ball strikes are often missed with a removed or failed capacitor. The same can be said for all stand up targets in Centaur.

#1719 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Bad or no cap.

#1720 1 year ago

That release target should have a capacitor on it. The same can be said for all stand up targets in Centaur.

I have five classic Ballys (1978-1981), and standup targets on all of them each have a capacitor.

#1721 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

I have five classic Ballys (1978-1981), and standup targets on all of them each have a capacitor.

As they should. A lot of the time one would fail and the owner / operator would just cut them all off instead of fixing the bad one. They had to keep the games making money and didn't care much about the end results.

#1722 1 year ago

Can you feel the excitement?

IMG_4716 (resized).jpgIMG_4716 (resized).jpg
#1723 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Can you feel the excitement?
[quoted image]

Curious how you're going to integrate that magnet coil into a Centaur since the ohms are 1/10th what they should be. If it were me, I would re-wind it with the correct gauge magnetic wire but I know there are other work arounds.

#1724 1 year ago

Curious how you're going to integrate that magnet coil into a Centaur since the ohms are 1/10th what they should be. If it were me, I would re-wind it with the correct gage magnetic wire but I know there are other work arounds.

I'm using this approach.

#1725 1 year ago

Ooh thanks for that link! I imagine this retro magnet is a fair bit stronger than original?

#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Ooh thanks for that link! I imagine this retro magnet is a fair bit stronger than original?

I think the big benefit of doing it this way is, it makes it simple to replace the magnet in the future. Since the original is unavailable, and not everyone wants to rewind a magnet (no disrespect meant).

#1728 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Bad or no cap.

Well, it can't be "no cap", as this is clearly working for me intermittently, just not in the case of all or most of the appropriate hits on the release target. So, how does one go about testing this (existing caps) for some deficiency ?

#1729 1 year ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Well, it can't be "no cap", as this is clearly working for me intermittently, just not in the case of all or most of the appropriate hits on the release target. So, how does one go about testing this (existing caps) for some deficiency ?

1) It will work without a cap just fine, just won't pickup fast hits.

2) You just replace. The failure rate on caps this old is so high its not even funny and they are dirt cheap. I keep a few hundred on hand.

#1730 1 year ago

I like it. Seems like a respectable substitute for the OEM part.

And....it WORKS! The magnet has a good, strong hold on the ball, and it only took me three games to energize and hit that target. (yeah, I know, but I wanted to see it without the hand of the restorer). Very pleased with the results.

#1731 1 year ago

Putting my Centaur back up for sale. Obviously new and improved!

Machine - For Trade
Centaur Archived
Partially restored (almost original) - “CENTAUR!!! This game is a blast, and a holy grail for many wish lists. New backglass, New playfield, new led digital displays, new say-it-again daughter board, new drop targets,...”
2022-06-16
Pasadena, CA
Trade
Archived after: 12 days
Viewed: 988 times

#1732 1 year ago

i put some parts left over from my recent pf swap on Ebay, in case that interest someone-

ebay.com link: king_ger

#1733 1 year ago

Good stuff I got in the mail - new pinball clings, printed to be used underneath the glass. My first run, 40 count.

289319982_10227825689697830_2048071316719091934_n (resized).jpg289319982_10227825689697830_2048071316719091934_n (resized).jpg
#1734 1 year ago

These are way cool. I didn't know how much light they would pick up. Turns out, an awesome amount.

289436582_10227826105108215_8385811174652938413_n (resized).jpg289436582_10227826105108215_8385811174652938413_n (resized).jpg289480045_10227826104908210_3328483817773419387_n (resized).jpg289480045_10227826104908210_3328483817773419387_n (resized).jpg Added 22 months ago:

https://www.facebook.com/PinballClings For those interested.

#1735 1 year ago

Can you guys confirm the slingshot coils? Mine are mismatched, and the better (more powerful) coil is AN 26-1200.

#1736 1 year ago

Manual says AO-26-1200

The wrappings on my machine are kind of washed out, but it looks like they are the same as the manual. They are a brownish-yellow wrap.

#1737 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Manual says AO-26-1200
The wrappings on my machine are kind of washed out, but it looks like they are the same as the manual. They are a brownish-yellow wrap.

Thanks, that’s the one that feels a little weak. I may grab another AN to even them out. There’s definitely more ‘oomph’ with the stronger coil. Both slings have fresh coil sleeves and are lined up well, so I don’t think there’s any binding or other mechanical issue.
367CF8C7-0AAD-4D57-93DC-D8D0F29D8160 (resized).jpeg367CF8C7-0AAD-4D57-93DC-D8D0F29D8160 (resized).jpeg

#1738 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks, that’s the one that feels a little weak. I may grab another AN to even them out. There’s definitely more ‘oomph’ with the stronger coil. Both slings have fresh coil sleeves and are lined up well, so I don’t think there’s any binding or other mechanical issue.
[quoted image]

AN-26-1200 and AO-26-1200 are the same coil strength wise.

#1739 1 year ago

AN-26-1200 and AO-26-1200 are the same coil strength wise.

Weird. I wonder why the difference, then? Same tensile strength on the rubber, new coil sleeves, no binding.

#1740 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Weird. I wonder why the difference, then? Same tensile strength on the rubber, new coil sleeves, no binding.

26 is the gauge, 1200 is the number of turns of wire on the spool.

Other markings indicate specs for spool, diode or no diode, etc.

Check your EOS switch condition and gap, these are you two biggest contributors to weak flippers. If the contacts are shot to hell, you will not get full power to the coil (this also applies to the flipper button switch!) and if the EOS opens to soon, you will also have weak actuation.

#1741 1 year ago

Mudflaps is asking about the slingshot coils.

#1742 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Weird. I wonder why the difference,

AN-26-1200 = mounted vertically.
AO-26-1200 = mounted horizontally.
AO-**-**** coils are mounted for eject units and sling shots.
However Bally used the AO for drop targets and other uses...

#1743 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! I’ll take a closer look at everything this week.

#1744 1 year ago

It’s been awhile since I had to work on this beast. No bonus lights. Everything else seems to be in order. This game is all original and I think those wire insertion connectors are the most likely culprit. I’ll start with light board connectors and aux board. Could be a fuse. Any suggestions? I just didn’t feel like getting under the hood to explore.

#1745 1 year ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

It’s been awhile since I had to work on this beast. No bonus lights. Everything else seems to be in order. This game is all original and I think those wire insertion connectors are the most likely culprit. I’ll start with light board connectors and aux board. Could be a fuse. Any suggestions? I just didn’t feel like getting under the hood to explore.

If the other insert lights are working, doubt its a fuse.

The connectors on the main board are the largest offender. When testing something I start with grounding the pin at the connector to see if the lamp illuminates and go from there. If the lamp comes on you have eliminated the bulb, bulb power, socket and pf wiring.

#1746 1 year ago

Possibly a broken buss wire.

#1747 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Mudflaps is asking about the slingshot coils.

Ah, sorry about that!

#1748 1 year ago

Having a bizzaro issue. The balls in the trough are not falling when a ball is released for multiball. So, the game thinks it’s the end of the ball when the first ball drains because the trap doesn’t engage. I have to nudge to get the balls in the trough to fall.

I’ve removed and polished the upper metal pieces. I’ve also replaced the balls in case they were magnetized. I also checked the switches… the balls will remain in place even when I manually engage the switch, so it’s not tension from the switch. Pitch is around 5 or 6 degrees.

My plan is to disassemble the lower mech and see what’s going on. Has anyone else had this issue?

4DD21C7B-EE88-4C94-96E5-1942805CA81C (resized).jpeg4DD21C7B-EE88-4C94-96E5-1942805CA81C (resized).jpeg
#1749 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Having a bizzaro issue. The balls in the trough are not falling when a ball is released for multiball. So, the game thinks it’s the end of the ball when the first ball drains because the trap doesn’t engage. I have to nudge to get the balls in the trough to fall.
I’ve removed and polished the upper metal pieces. I’ve also replaced the balls in case they were magnetized. I also checked the switches… the balls will remain in place even when I manually engage the switch, so it’s not tension from the switch. Pitch is around 5 or 6 degrees.
My plan is to disassemble the lower mech and see what’s going on. Has anyone else had this issue?[quoted image]

The first ball switch on the right is must likely the problem.
The game should read:
1) 1st ball switch.
2) 4th ball switch.
3) Top outhole switch.

#1750 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The first ball switch on the right is must likely the problem.
The game should read:
1) 1st ball switch.
2) 4th ball switch.
3) Top outhole switch.

I may be misunderstanding, but the switches read normally in the switch test. The tension of the switch wire is not holding the ball.

The ball (circled in the photo) just sits there after the ball before it is launched for multiball. Because the ball doesn’t move, the gate doesn’t engage. If I physically nudge the cabinet, the ball falls normally. So, something is holding the ball there… I’m just not sure what that ‘something’ is.

And to be clear, the game was working fine until this issue popped up. All switches reading normal, no other faults. I’m hopeful there’s a notch or some gunk holding the ball. I’ll dig into it tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,325 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only/page/35?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.