New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 48888)

Centaur Club.....Members Only!

By vster23

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,157 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 80 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 444 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

02E2CEFF-D70F-47C2-B00B-01A06137F769 (resized).jpeg
6B19CFD4-8D98-4528-A742-E604000D65B1 (resized).jpeg
Transformer_Centaur1.jpg
50024371-B32E-4C0F-86DF-C3E3C139B93A (resized).jpeg
7A46162B-1EC6-4267-9827-B52EAF4D672B (resized).jpeg
C9C60BF7-A068-4D7D-A383-2F93F310C6F1 (resized).jpeg
PS-54_Config.jpg
C78E06DC-6791-486A-A5B0-7968222EA08B (resized).jpeg
F7497024-161F-4011-9714-8573A60DE58A (resized).jpeg
gate (resized).jpg
20200920_141032 (resized).jpg
20200920_140316 (resized).jpg
Centaur_MPU_Wiring.jpg
15966484635525302697687564620575 (resized).jpg
C449B09F-6600-4388-8B44-E833D3985CDA (resized).jpeg
9828260F-13B0-4CF8-9C2C-E611FDE0C764 (resized).jpeg

There are 1157 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
#1101 3 months ago

Go to pinwiki and follow the instructions for a bally machine - check power board, followed by driver board, followed by MPU and lamp driver board.

There’s too many unknowns right now - power supply voltages and old battery on the MPU need to be addressed.

#1102 3 months ago

Bottom right board (mpu, I think) flashes as follow:
Then turns off

Seems like there's delays between some blinks.

Top left board, green led stays green no blink or flash.

Williams machines goes into 04 mode when there's a battery problem. I don't know what Bally's do.

#1103 3 months ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Bottom right board (mpu, I think) flashes as follow:
Then turns off
Seems like there's delays between some blinks.
Top left board, green led stays green no blink or flash.
Williams machines goes into 04 mode when there's a battery problem. I don't know what Bally's do.

Bottom right is the sound board. top left is MPU. check out the pinwiki sight and follow the flash protocol: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#LED_locked_on

#1104 3 months ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Just picked up this Centaur. It's my first Bally. I've got power to the Gi and a single orange dot on each display. The game isn't booting. Before I drive in to deep, I wanted to ask a couple questions. There is some corrosion on the battery. What are the signs and symptoms that it's bad? What do you replace it with? I checked all my fuses. All appear good and I replaced most of them anyway. So, I'm wondering if the power board is bad.
Thank you
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Remove battery. No doubt.

Replace it with NVRAM. You’ll never look back, and will never have a sleepless night that your boards are getting trashed from acid damage.

#1105 3 months ago

Did a swap both ways and the only thing was the lane change switch needed to be redone

#1106 3 months ago

"How many flashes on the mpu led when you turn the game on?"
The LED is locked on. So not even the first flash...

#1107 3 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Did a swap both ways and the only thing was the lane change switch needed to be redone

Not if you were swapping from a Centaur II style cab to a standard Bally Cab it wasn't. The display harness for example is way too short to be used on a standard insert panel. Not to mention the splitting of the controlled lamps on a CII cabinet between the mini backglass and the display panel. Depending on how you mount the boards in the classic bally head the rest of the harness can be made to work but a couple things need to be extended to have a clean install.

#1108 3 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

"How many flashes on the mpu led when you turn the game on?"
The LED is locked on. So not even the first flash...

Yes, no first flash, just stuck on. The board doesn't look that bad, but I think it's beyond the battery. It probably needs a chip or 2. Manual tells me to replace the board if the light is solid. I could probably tinker with it, but I was to excited and ordered a new board for 200 bucks. Chips and Nvram would have costed 70 bucks with fingers crossed. I figured I'd start out with a good foundation and put my time into other thing or boards.

#1109 3 months ago

Can't afford 1000.00 on a CPR right now. Anyone have experience with the clear play field protectors?

#1110 3 months ago

Just joining your club. Mine's on the way now hopefully.

Can't wait to see and play it, think it will sit nicely amongst my Sorcerer and Lost World to start.

#1111 3 months ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Not if you were swapping from a Centaur II style cab to a standard Bally Cab it wasn't. The display harness for example is way too short to be used on a standard insert panel. Not to mention the splitting of the controlled lamps on a CII cabinet between the mini backglass and the display panel. Depending on how you mount the boards in the classic bally head the rest of the harness can be made to work but a couple things need to be extended to have a clean install.

Thought maybe I misread the post. Methos asked if anyone has swapped a centaur 2 playfield into a centaur one cabinet. That’s exactly what I did. It is only the lane change that needs to be changed in this instance. He didn’t ask about doing a conversion to a “bally style” cabinet. Some of us got a centaur 2 years ago and then recently acquired a cantaur 1 after doing our playfield swap already on the centaur 2. In this instance we don’t want to do another swap just to get the good playfield in the good cabinet.

7427A3AE-0E20-4496-A9F1-84A4F71A4B9C (resized).jpeg
#1112 3 months ago

Centaur (original) owner here. Just gotta say there's something cool about the Centaur II cabinet. I dig the red displays, especially.

I think over time you'll see original Centaur II machines become harder to find as people choose to convert cabinets. I can imagine there may not be many survivors out there to begin with.

Centaur II and Eight Ball Deluxe LE would look really good next to each other.

#1113 3 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Thought maybe I misread the post. Methos asked if anyone has swapped a centaur 2 playfield into a centaur one cabinet. That’s exactly what I did. It is only the lane change that needs to be changed in this instance. He didn’t ask about doing a conversion to a “bally style” cabinet. Some of us got a centaur 2 years ago and then recently acquired a cantaur 1 after doing our playfield swap already on the centaur 2. In this instance we don’t want to do another swap just to get the good playfield in the good cabinet.
[quoted image]

Love Flash Gordon. Always felt it was a nice companion piece to Centaur. I imagine you think the same?

#1114 3 months ago

Just started working on this machine. It's taking awhile to get used to Bally. I had to remove the play field and backbox to get it downstairs. It was a little more difficult than the Williams machines I'm used to, but at the same time it seems built better. Additionally, I can't believe the technology in this game for 1981. Excited to start playing

#1115 3 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

[quoted image]

I have a C2 and a C1. The C2 has a better pf, and I want to switch the pfs and sell the C2. So it would just be the pf (and harnesses) that would be switched.

#1116 3 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have a C2 and a C1. The C2 has a better pf, and I want to switch the pfs and sell the C2. So it would just be the pf (and harnesses) that would be switched.

Shoot me a pm. I’ll see if I can find my pics and show you the connector that needs to be fixed

#1117 3 months ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

Love Flash Gordon. Always felt it was a nice companion piece to Centaur. I imagine you think the same?

I think FG is the meanest game I have played. Maybe BSD but Flash Gordon makes you get better at nudging the table you it eats you alive. In turn it helps with the ball return lanes on centaur

#1118 3 months ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

Just gotta say there's something cool about the Centaur II cabinet. I dig the red displays, especially.

Agreed, the red displays are a nice touch. And the cabinet style of Centaur II screams 80s, in a gritty B-movie kind of way. Something that I'm a bit of a sucker for. It scores high on my 'so bad it's good' scale.

#1119 3 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

I think FG is the meanest game I have played. Maybe BSD but Flash Gordon makes you get better at nudging the table you it eats you alive. In turn it helps with the ball return lanes on centaur

Funny, I’ve got Centaur, Flash Gordon, and BSD right next to each other. Lots of nudging in Flash Gordon and BSD, but FG wins out ... it’s brutal, and you get quite a workout. Centaur gets a fair bit of nudging for the outlanes, otherwise not much need to nudge.

#1120 85 days ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Just did the swap from Centaur II to a Centaur cab. You need to create a wiring harness for the lamp insert board/displays or modify an existing harness. Its time consuming but not overly difficult - all of the info is in the schematic to match the wire colors to an existing harness or build your own.

I’ll start with apologies to Xenon. Sorry bro, I was not completely correct and you do need to change 2 connectors on the centaur 1 to centaur 2 swap.

For those at home, the playfields and harness from the playfield is exactly the same except they changed from a .62 connector to a .93 on the switch and lamp connector inside the backbox. Also on the game I did, they changed pins (in the manual too so I don’t think it was just an assembly mistake) for the lane change input from the flipper stacks in the cabinet. Some can fact check the connector sizes cause I’m going off memory and a couple pics. The top pic is centaur 2 and the bottom is centaur 1

9828260F-13B0-4CF8-9C2C-E611FDE0C764 (resized).jpegC449B09F-6600-4388-8B44-E833D3985CDA (resized).jpeg

#1121 79 days ago

I got my Centaur to boot and play a game. My biggest problem now is I have no background sound. The speech and play field sounds are ok, but no sound in the background. I've adjusted the 3 turn settings, reflowed pins to the Say it again board and Squawk and Talk. I've also started replacing a few capacitors. I'm thinking 1 of the 3 sounds chips are bad. Any ideas are appreciated?

#1122 79 days ago

Never mind, found the solution to the problem in setting. Sweet! The easiest fix there is, haha.

#1123 76 days ago

Hi group! Could anybody be so kind to take a picture of their J4 connector for the MPU? I'm repinning mine, one of the old pins fell out, and now I don't know where it's supposed to go. :/

Many thanks in advance!!

15966484635525302697687564620575 (resized).jpg

#1124 76 days ago

Hi Jappie, the wire color codes are in the schematics on the "Wiring Diagram Backbox" page.

I hope the below helps explains how the wire color codes are listed: specifically the gray wire goes to pin 15.

Centaur_MPU_Wiring.jpg

#1125 76 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hi Jappie, the wire color codes are in the schematics on the "Wiring Diagram Backbox" page.
I hope the below helps explains how the wire color codes are listed: specifically the gray wire goes to pin 15.
[quoted image]

I had been looking for this info, but must have missed it somehow.

Thanks much Quench! Problem solved.

#1126 72 days ago

so has anyone experimented with pin stadium style led mods on their Centaurs? I would love to see some pics of people led playfields!

#1127 72 days ago
Quoted from Startek2:

so has anyone experimented with pin stadium style led mods on their Centaurs? I would love to see some pics of people led playfields!

No, but I just ordered 2 flood lights from Comet to brighten up the play field and hopefully remove some of the back glass glare.

#1128 69 days ago

aye matey the glare is big on centaur....i sucked it up and put on a sheet of voodoo glass....i think it helps a bit...not perfect but better...

1 week later
#1129 57 days ago

Haven't turned my Centaur on in a long while, hoping someone can help me with some issues.

When I press the physical test button on the sound board, the sound test plays correctly. But I'm not getting any sound at all while playing the game, or in the self test menu. I have an aftermarket SIA board installed, and the jumpers are all set up appropriately. No other issues appear in the self test menu, ball trough switches all seem to be registering correctly.

The outhole kicker and orbs target reset solenoids aren't working as well, but I assume that is a separate issue?

Any insight appreciated, thanks!

#1130 57 days ago
Quoted from Largemann:

Haven't turned my Centaur on in a long while, hoping someone can help me with some issues.
When I press the physical test button on the sound board, the sound test plays correctly. But I'm not getting any sound at all while playing the game, or in the self test menu. I have an aftermarket SIA board installed, and the jumpers are all set up appropriately. No other issues appear in the self test menu, ball trough switches all seem to be registering correctly.
The outhole kicker and orbs target reset solenoids aren't working as well, but I assume that is a separate issue?
Any insight appreciated, thanks!

Did you reseated the connectors to the game?

#1131 57 days ago

Reseated every back box connector with no change. I should also mention setting 18 is set correctly at 03, no sound plays at all outside of the sound board test.

#1132 57 days ago
Quoted from Largemann:

Reseated every back box connector with no change. I should also mention setting 18 is set correctly at 03, no sound plays at all outside of the sound board test.

Do all the solenoids work correctly?
The snd board uses the same drive lines.

#1133 57 days ago

The outhole kicker and orbs target reset solenoids aren't working, seems they may be related after all. I looked at the solder joints on the sound board and they look good, I believe I reflowed them years ago. Could you point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

#1134 57 days ago

1) Check cold solder joints to the voltage/solenoid board.
--- I have seen bad transistor connections.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2) Check continuity:
CPU---Volt/Sol board --S&Q
A4J4-1 to A3J4-3 to A14J1-4
A4J4-2 to A3J4-4 to A14J1-3
A4J4-3 to A3J4-5 to A14J1-2
A4J4-4 to A3J4-6 to A14J1-1
A4J4-10 to A3J4-7 to A14J1-8

#1135 56 days ago
Quoted from Tallon:

For those at home, the playfields and harness from the playfield is exactly the same except they changed from a .62 connector to a .93 on the switch and lamp connector inside the backbox. Also on the game I did, they changed pins (in the manual too so I don’t think it was just an assembly mistake) for the lane change input from the flipper stacks in the cabinet. Some can fact check the connector sizes cause I’m going off memory and a couple pics. The top pic is centaur 2 and the bottom is centaur 1

Centaur (1) connectors are indeed .062" pins. However, the two connectors Centaur 2 are .084". One other difference I also came across with a C1/2 swap is a 5 or 6 pin connector. It is a 3x2 connector on one and a 5(or 6)x1 on the other. ..or at least it was on this C1 pf into a C2 cab.
I have everything completed on this swap except for the lane change and am still having trouble finding the answer there, although I'm sure I read the answer somewhere here on PS so I'll keep digging.

#1136 56 days ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

Centaur (1) connectors are indeed .062" pins. However, the two connectors Centaur 2 are .084". One other difference I also came across with a C1/2 swap is a 5 or 6 pin connector. It is a 3x2 connector on one and a 5(or 6)x1 on the other. ..or at least it was on this C1 pf into a C2 cab.
I have everything completed on this swap except for the lane change and am still having trouble finding the answer there, although I'm sure I read the answer somewhere here on PS so I'll keep digging.

I have Thursday off. I go downstairs and go digging in the Centaurs and see where it went. Sorry, I thought you got it already.

#1137 55 days ago

Solved! With the combination of tracing down the path of all questionable wires point-to-point and from this Bally Centaur II Tech Guide from inkochnito
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Centaur_II_Tech_Chart.pdf

Looking at this guide, I realized the C2 schematics I have (a print off of the one available on IPDB) is actually a C1 manual. Yes, THE C2 SCHEMATICS ON IPDB ARE FROM C1. If anyone has an original hard copy of a the C2 schematics, could you please confirm.

What gave it away for me is in the switch matrix chart. On ink's chart, the Returns listed for C2 have designations for "A4J2" and "A4J3(not used)"; on the IPDB available schematics, the only designations are for A4J2.

#1138 49 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) Check cold solder joints to the voltage/solenoid board.
--- I have seen bad transistor connections.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2) Check continuity:
CPU---Volt/Sol board --S&Q
A4J4-1 to A3J4-3 to A14J1-4
A4J4-2 to A3J4-4 to A14J1-3
A4J4-3 to A3J4-5 to A14J1-2
A4J4-4 to A3J4-6 to A14J1-1
A4J4-10 to A3J4-7 to A14J1-8

Thanks for the detailed help, while preparing to dive deeper into the board, I reseated the connectors one more time and turns out that was it after all. Thanks again!

2 weeks later
#1139 30 days ago

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the voice / background sound adjustment ratio. The voice is a little louder than I want it to be and would like to turn up the background sound. Williams sound boards have a little wheel you turn to adjust this feature, but the 2 wheels on Centaur don't seem to be doing much. I know one of them is for an echo sound, but I don't notice anything changing. I'm wondering if I have a problem or the voice / background sound is somewhere in the settings menu.

#1140 30 days ago

Hey folks! Joining the party, well I've had my Centaur for a year and a half, so I've been here in spirit. I looked for a Centaur for three years until one fell into my lap. A friend called new years morning 2019, and said, you still want mine? I said, hell yes! Two days later I had a nice Centaur! Thanks Jay.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

20200920_140316 (resized).jpg20200920_141032 (resized).jpg

#1141 30 days ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the voice / background sound adjustment ratio. The voice is a little louder than I want it to be and would like to turn up the background sound. Williams sound boards have a little wheel you turn to adjust this feature, but the 2 wheels on Centaur don't seem to be doing much. I know one of them is for an echo sound, but I don't notice anything changing. I'm wondering if I have a problem or the voice / background sound is somewhere in the settings menu.

Fixed it, I found another 2 volume knobs that were hidden behind some wires. Now everything sounds great, except some of the speech is missing. My top rollover switches just say human (instead of bad human or something like that), when rolling over a already lit switch. It doesn't say 2X, 3X bonus when completing. Also, when you complete all ORBs it doesn't say anything. I'm starting to wonder if I have an old sound ROM.

#1142 29 days ago

Jeez! Sorry about those awful pics, this stupid phone just cant handle LEDS, ug! Gotta buy a nice REAL camera.

Apologies from the Freeeek Kingdom.

#1143 29 days ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Fixed it, I found another 2 volume knobs that were hidden behind some wires. Now everything sounds great, except some of the speech is missing. My top rollover switches just say human (instead of bad human or something like that), when rolling over a already lit switch. It doesn't say 2X, 3X bonus when completing. Also, when you complete all ORBs it doesn't say anything. I'm starting to wonder if I have an old sound ROM.

Go into the speech test to see if those same words are missing

#1144 28 days ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Go into the speech test to see if those same words are missing

Yes the same words are missing in speech test. Last night the background sound and speech became distorted, then went almost completely out. I can barley hear anything now. Additionally, I've reflowed the pins on both sound boards and replaced the larger Caps.
My guess is I need to replace the Roms.

#1145 28 days ago

I've never had to replace sound Roms before, so I'm not sure what the signs/symptoms are.

#1146 28 days ago

If you know of anyone who wants to join the club I have a Centaur II in the market

Archived after 28 days
Sold for $ 2,500
Contributed to Pinside
Machine - For Sale
Centaur II Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished “Selling a fully working recently shopped Centaur II. The playfield was torn down and cleaned and waxed. Repopulated with a new rubber ring kit and balls. The game is plug and play....”
2020-09-12
Oakdale, NY
2,500 (Firm)

#1148 23 days ago

hey guys I have been busy optimizing the features on my Centaur and now I need to get these gates correct. Iknow that the farther in, the more likely you get the rebound to the gate but I am wondering if anyone in here has spent much time studying these and might have some suggestions? I almost want to make some kind of slider to test it....what say yall? as a side note, this picture was taken with the voodoo glass still on it....pretty good aye?

gate (resized).jpg

#1149 23 days ago
Quoted from Startek2:

Iknow that the farther in, the more likely you get the rebound to the gate

I don't think the posts have that much wiggle room. But I would say, the closer the post is toward the gate, the more likely the ball is to make contact with them, true. But that doesn't necessarily mean more likely to pass through the gate. Too far in, and the ball will bounce more "up" and slow down than "over and through the gate". I'd think you might find more variation if you tried switching from individual rings on the red posts to one ring around both. The slightly thicker diameter band would give a different bounce. Would it cause the ball to bounce through more or less often? I don't know.

1 week later
#1150 13 days ago

Just acquired a Centaur from Europe
And working in getting power converted
Found this inside the cab and have to say never seen this before

Any one know what this is for or how to make it
Work for 110 volts instead of 220 v ?

Or can I even eliminate this transformer ?

C78E06DC-6791-486A-A5B0-7968222EA08B (resized).jpegF7497024-161F-4011-9714-8573A60DE58A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.00
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
There are 1157 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside