20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 47.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from Largemann:

I tried to burn a few unmodified U6 with the 25v vpp setting, and without the external burner. The writes completed and verified every time, but none would boot in the machine.

Sounds like the M2732As you have are no good or just not working with your setup. I usually don't bother adding the external power supply & they still burn ok anyway without it every time. If I have problems I add the power supply to rule it out.

Not sure about those 2732s from chipgate, it's too cheap for as start for genuine NOS Hitachi's & looking closely & comparing the logo next to "japan" the detail doesn't look quite like an original, it's blurred a bit, my guess is these are most likely the same new manufactured 2732s stamped with Hitachi stamp in this case - who knows, they are getting smarter all the time with fakes.

I have bought used/erased Hitachi eproms from funkward-tech, 2532, 2716 eproms as well, all work perfectly. I least you know they are genuine brand original eproms.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HITACHI-HN482732AG-482732-2732-32KBIT-UV-EPROM-X-10pcs/160642081675?hash=item256703a38b:g:RwUAAMXQTgZQ~SpJ

I have had eproms that verified OK then wouldn't work in the game, it happens - not sure why though.

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Cliffy sells the ramp flap.
Best pics I have

I don't see them on his website.

#903 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I don't see them on his website.

Email Cliffy,

He did not have them on his site but sent me a set and they look great!

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Email Cliffy,

That's the ticket!

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from Largemann:

They are the ST branded ones from ebay.

I've had similar issues (different programmer) with ST 2716 and 2732 EPROMs from China and found that repeat programming the chips multiple times (5 or so) without erasing between programming and switching blank check off gets them to work.
Problem is the Chinese are remarking these chips - they may have been a different brand of EPROM requiring different programming algorithm, not the ST one.
Plenty of the Chinese sourced 2716 & 2732 EPROMs I've bought have worked fine though.

#906 5 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Email Cliffy,

$12 from Cliffy, awesome! Thanks!

3 weeks later
#907 5 years ago

Joining the club today...

centaur1 (resized).jpgcentaur1 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#908 5 years ago

Hi all. Can anyone point me in the right direction for th ed following items?
Correct backbox lock
The metal bells that attach to the small plastics near the flippers
Knocker coil assembly
Thankyou!

#909 5 years ago

Lock for backbox

http://pbresource.com/locks.html

The metal bells are hard to find, you could contact knazzo & ask, (great seller) if not, the seller here on ebay has several plastics for sale (depending on how many bells you need) you could remove the bells from the plastic & reuse, it may be the only option. Here is one example he has.

ebay.com link: SUPERSONIC BALLY 1979 PINBALL MACHINE PLAYFIELD ORG PLASTIC REPLACE M 1330 139 2

Knocker assembly (same as centaur knocker).

ebay.com link: Bally FATHOM Solid State SS Pinball Machine MORE CABINET KNOCKER

#910 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi all. Can anyone point me in the right direction for th ed following items?
The metal bells that attach to the small plastics near the flippers

Unless you'e really intent on using those metal bells, you might consider using 1/2" black spacers instead. Since they're not metal they won't dig into your playfield when you tighten them down. You can find them at Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5054-00

or salvage them from countless Williams games from the 80s & 90s. Crispin used these on his Centaur and I plan to on mine.

#911 5 years ago

Finally repaired the backbox lock mechanism and want to put a key hook on the coin door. Did Centaur come with a backbox key hook on the coin door? If so where did it go ?

Thanks

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Finally repaired the backbox lock mechanism and want to put a key hook on the coin door. Did Centaur come with a backbox key hook on the coin door? If so where did it go ?
Thanks

There should be a little hook for the back box key inside the cabinet right next to the front left leg bolt plate. It should be screwed into the plate itself.

#913 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

There should be a little hook for the back box key inside the cabinet right next to the front left leg bolt plate. It should be screwed into the plate itself.

Thanks shock_me that answers another question I had that came from the playfield swap! Good to go now. Really interesting how all these different companies did things back then. I assume that came out of their EM history.

Thanks again.

Key Hook (resized).JPGKey Hook (resized).JPG
#914 5 years ago

Here's what all mine look like. It was more of a curved "hook" originally, but sometimes they are broken off.
IMG_1526 (002) (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (002) (resized).JPG

#915 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Here's what all mine look like.

Good to know, from your picture mine is broken. Another thing to sort out. Thanks again.

1 week later
#916 5 years ago

Hey I’m getting ready to post a for sale on my restored Centaur. If anyone is looking for one please shoot me a PM. If sold because of this thread I will donate double of what Pinside market would charge. Price will be in the lower 4’s. Thanks!

1 month later
#917 5 years ago

Just got my machine back from a friend.
Awesome fun trying to destroy Centaur.

20181119_081414 (resized).jpg20181119_081414 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#918 5 years ago

Looking to buy a really nice restored Centuar.

Machine - Wanted
Wanted: Centaur Archived
Wanted! - “I'm looking for a really nice restored Centaur. Hit me up if you have one. Thanks!”
2019-02-10
Montecito, CA
Wanted
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 123 times

#919 5 years ago

I recently joined the club after borrowing a centaur from a friend for a winter. But i am planning on taking my time and set it up nice. I have a centaur II and its the focus of my "i just bought a new pinball project" videos. i haven't done too much with it yet, the house projects took over.
Thanks

3 weeks later
#920 5 years ago

I picked up my Centaur as a project last year. Here's my starting point:

Before (resized).jpegBefore (resized).jpeg

I did a complete overhaul on the game. Repaint of the cab, new (rescreen) pf, re-zinc all the metal pieces, and blacked out all the trim. I'm very pleased with the results:

After (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpg

I still have a couple of items to clean up (like new instruction cards), but overall very little in the way of issues at start up.

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I picked up my Centaur as a project last year. Here's my starting point:
[quoted image]
I did a complete overhaul on the game. Repaint of the cab, new (rescreen) pf, re-zinc all the metal pieces, and blacked out all the trim. I'm very pleased with the results:
[quoted image]
I still have a couple of items to clean up (like new instruction cards), but overall very little in the way of issues at start up.

Very nice! Where did you find the clear/black rollovers?

#922 5 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Very nice! Where did you find the clear/black rollovers?

Thanks!

I used a dye to change the start rollover from white to black. You should be able to make them any color you want.

My OCD is now telling me that I need to dye the sling shot kicker arm black, because I can see the white on them.

#923 5 years ago

wahoooooo new member checking in! Destroy Centaur!!

#924 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I used a dye to change the start rollover from white to black.

That's a very subtle, yet striking customization. Looks great.

2 weeks later
#925 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's a very subtle, yet striking customization. Looks great.

Thanks. There are a lot of custom things going on with this machine:

Blacked out lockdown bar, side rails, shooter rod, and coin door. And some awesome coin plate inserts from ULEKstore

IMG_6320 (resized).JPGIMG_6320 (resized).JPG

Shooter lane has been blacked out (and all other places that originally had wood showing)

IMG_6321 (resized).JPGIMG_6321 (resized).JPG

All stand up targets and star posts switched to black (along with the black star rollovers)

IMG_6322 (resized).JPGIMG_6322 (resized).JPG

I'm very excited about the apron cards I'll be making, as long as they turn out the way I envision them.

#926 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Thanks. There are a lot of custom things going on with this machine:
Blacked out lockdown bar, side rails, shooter rod, and coin door. And some awesome coin plate inserts from ulekstore
[quoted image]
Shooter lane has been blacked out (and all other places that originally had wood showing)
[quoted image]
All stand up targets and star posts switched to black (along with the black star rollovers)
[quoted image]
I'm very excited about the apron cards I'll be making, as long as they turn out the way I envision them.

All great ideas. Nice job!

#927 5 years ago

I'm putting new rubbers in my machine and I see there are six 2" rubbers, but I am unsure where they all go. Here are some photos. Does everything look right? On the top left upper lane the red plastic on the side is missing. Is this normal?

IMG_20190210_165319 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_165319 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_165326 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_165326 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_165329 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_165329 (resized).jpg
#928 5 years ago

Are there 18 or 19 - 5/16 rubbers?

#929 5 years ago
Quoted from SomeCaliGuy:

Are there 18 or 19 - 5/16 rubbers?

The leftmost lane guide is supposed to be a full lane guide, not half. With that in mind, it should use two small rings instead of 1 large.

The rightmost lane guide is supposed to be a half lane guid. This is where i used the 6th 2" ring to go around 4 of the 5 posts up there. In that scenario, you don't need the 1.5" ring

This setup required 18x 5/16 ID rings.

If you use the 1.5" ring to capture only 3 of the 5 posts as you've done, then you'll need 19x 5/16" ID rings.

There are manuals on ipdb: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=centaur&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#476 for Centaur I & II which can be helpful but aren't very detailed.

#930 5 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

There are manuals on ipdb: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=centaur&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#476 for Centaur I & II which can be helpful but aren't very detailed.

Thank you for your reply. I have the manual and as you say, it is not very detailed, thus the confusion. I ordered new lane guides to fix the issue and I'll do what you suggest.

3 weeks later
#931 5 years ago

Centaur help please -

I've gotten around to working on Centaur, and now I need some help. How many balls are to be installed? I put in four, and all of the balls go to the lower ramp holding chamber, and when starting a game, I don't get a ball served into the plunger lane. If I manually drop the ORBS target, I get a ball out of the lower chamber - it plays fine, then when I drain, I never get a ball back to the plunger. Did I not rebuild something correctly? Thanks

#932 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Looks awesome! You could also switch the ORBS drops with the black ones from Centaur II if you can find them for sale.

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Centaur help please -
I've gotten around to working on Centaur, and now I need some help. How many balls are to be installed? I put in four, and all of the balls go to the lower ramp holding chamber, and when starting a game, I don't get a ball served into the plunger lane. If I manually drop the ORBS target, I get a ball out of the lower chamber - it plays fine, then when I drain, I never get a ball back to the plunger. Did I not rebuild something correctly? Thanks

5 balls are needed. 4 in the under ball trough, one in the upper (like a single ball game)

#934 5 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Looks awesome! You could also switch the ORBS drops with the black ones from Centaur II if you can find them for sale.

I like that idea. I'm not sure I've seen the black ORBS targets for sale (although I've never looked).

#935 5 years ago

I finally started working on my centaur 2 again. I was wondering if anyone with a converted hyperball cab can take some pics of the inside. I am intrested in speaker and blocked hole. Also grounding wires and straps. I remove the hole block but it looks factory so I will reinstall. I’ll be doing pinball mayhem videos following my progrsss

8A03FDBD-D2C4-4E40-A46C-21B07FC112EA (resized).jpeg8A03FDBD-D2C4-4E40-A46C-21B07FC112EA (resized).jpegD4E57AD0-0E14-490C-A874-86D08D02AFF9 (resized).jpegD4E57AD0-0E14-490C-A874-86D08D02AFF9 (resized).jpeg
#936 5 years ago

Made this tonight. I’m really digging the red shirt and will probably be wearing it to PATZ next month so people can tell which game I brought!

903A55FC-8EDA-4BB0-9609-D5D7BBCC980E (resized).jpeg903A55FC-8EDA-4BB0-9609-D5D7BBCC980E (resized).jpeg233E814C-9C32-4BBC-B64B-D5C19BDFF99D (resized).jpeg233E814C-9C32-4BBC-B64B-D5C19BDFF99D (resized).jpeg

#937 5 years ago

Bad move human.
J/k. Looks nice. Really pops.

1 week later
#938 5 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I did something dumb and snapped my upper left plastic on my fully restored Centaur. Everything is new on this so I was pretty upset. I'm hoping someone has an extra Classic Playfield Reproduction plastic they can part with. Seems like a waste to buy a new set just to get the one. Please let me know price.

CentaurPlastic (resized).jpgCentaurPlastic (resized).jpg
#940 5 years ago

I found this also. They won't ship to the United States. You have to use a mail forwarding service. I also think it isn't CPR part. I wrote them and asked if it was and they ignored my question and sent me a link to the mail forwarding service.

#941 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hello Everyone,
I did something dumb and snapped my upper left plastic on my fully restored Centaur. Everything is new on this so I was pretty upset. I'm hoping someone has an extra Classic Playfield Reproduction plastic they can part with. Seems like a waste to buy a new set just to get the one. Please let me know price.
[quoted image]

Check with Bay Area. I know they had to break up a set to complete the incomplete set they sent me. I'm not sure what they did with the rest of the pieces from that set, but it's worth a call to them to find out.

#942 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Check with Bay Area. I know they had to break up a set to complete the incomplete set they sent me. I'm not sure what they did with the rest of the pieces from that set, but it's worth a call to them to find out.

If you find incomplete set I am in need of one of the little ones right next to the flipper. Don’t want to buy a complete set for one tiny plastic.

#943 5 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

If you find incomplete set I am in need of one of the little ones right next to the flipper. Don’t want to buy a complete set for one tiny plastic.

Which one do you need (right of left side)? I might have that.

#944 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Which one do you need (right of left side)? I might have that.

Thanks for checking. My left one is broken. It appears these have the metal attached to them. When plastic protectors are used. Do people put them on top. I am considering a set.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks for checking. My left one is broken. It appears these have the metal attached to them. When plastic protectors are used. Do people put them on top. I am considering a set.

Is this what you're looking for? These are CPR non mirrored with the film still attached. How does $10 with free shipping sound? Send me a PM.

20190326_173948 (resized).jpg20190326_173948 (resized).jpg
#946 5 years ago

I bought a centaur playfield. It's missing the 5 bank drop target.... Anyone have a spare to sell!?

20190325_062304 (resized).jpg20190325_062304 (resized).jpg
#947 5 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Plastic protectors should go under the regular plastic. The metal bell isn’t long enough, once you take it off the original plastic.

#948 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Plastic protectors should go under the regular plastic. The metal bell isn’t long enough, once you take it off the original plastic.

Thanks, that's what i normally do, but when i did my black knight i had to melt out and re install both, did you end up installing the metal posts into the protector then? I haven't torn this apart yet, still working on cabinet repair.

#949 5 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks, that's what i normally do, but when i did my black knight i had to melt out and re install both, did you end up installing the metal posts into the protector then? I haven't torn this apart yet, still working on cabinet repair.

I actually bent the rolled over edge back into shape, so it was tubular again. Then I slid the protector over it, and next the screened plastic. The screened plastic just barely engaged with the metal bell, helping keep them aligned until I could tighten the screw down.

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I actually bent the rolled over edge back into shape, so it was tubular again. Then I slid the protector over it, and next the screened plastic. The screened plastic just barely engaged with the metal bell, helping keep them aligned until I could tighten the screw down.

Good tip, ill give it a try!! I have seen some protector sets on eBay, any suggestions that others had success with?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.