20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 47.
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

While I can't speak for everybody, I'm still sure I speak for just about everybody when I say that the first version with the full-size backglass is preferred. Just like the original Eight Ball Deluxe with the full backglass is preferred.

Yes, I'll add my voice as well. The Centaur II is hideous.

Side note, I was able to grab a silver Centaur CPR playfield, thank you!

#652 7 years ago

Only bronze grade Centaur pfs left as of 5am eastern.

#653 7 years ago

I just posted an explanation of how I retrofit a Williams 20-9247 magnet in my Centaur.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-20-9247-magnet-retrofit#post-3563730

#654 7 years ago

This is great work. By the way, why do people end up needing to replace their magnets in the first place? Do they get locked on and burn up like on Addams Family?

#655 7 years ago

That's what must have happened to mine. The magnet was already MIA when I bought the machine, Q18 was shot, and I have some discoloration of the playfield right above the magnet.

The newer magnets have built-in thermistors now, so I would guess this was probably an issue with some of the earlier ones.

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

That's what must have happened to mine. The magnet was already MIA when I bought the machine, Q18 was shot, and I have some discoloration of the playfield right above the magnet.
The newer magnets have built-in thermistors now, so I would guess this was probably an issue with some of the earlier ones.

Do you think it would be wise for Centaur owners to install a fuse in series with the Magnet power wires? - like the fuse kit commonly sold for TAF. What rating would you suggest?

2017-01-28 09_59_11-Untitled (resized).png2017-01-28 09_59_11-Untitled (resized).png

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Do you think it would be wise for Centaur owners to install a fuse in series with the Magnet power wires?

I really don't have enough experience to say whether or not magnet issues are common in this machine. Given the general lack of discussion of the topic, I would think magnet issues are unusual. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I really don't have enough experience to say whether or not magnet issues are common in this machine. Given the general lack of discussion of the topic, I would think magnet issues are unusual. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have yet to play a Centaur pinball with a bad magnet.
Reading stored ball switches, on the other hand, all the time.
As for the Addams Family pinball, the left magnet goes out,
all the time, this problem started after the game was out
and about for a proximity three to four years.

#659 7 years ago

I got my first pinball machine today and it just had to be a Centaur.

Work to be done first is to try and get some sound working... I've read up every day for the past 3 weeks on possible causes and repairs to carry out on the S&T board etc which I am looking forward to starting tomorrow.

I also picked up a decent replacement playfield from someone who had upgrade to a CPR pf so a full swapover is on the cards soon... lots more reading to do first... love this place and I'm learning so much

So I'm a pinball owner now... a Centaur Club Member which is a proud moment woohoo

#660 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Do you think it would be wise for Centaur owners to install a fuse in series with the Magnet power wires? - like the fuse kit commonly sold for TAF. What rating would you suggest?

I was thinking of installing a thermal fuse on my Centaur magnet (& on my Fireball zipper flipper magnet) The fuse could in installed & physically mounted to the magnet with a dob of silicone, the idea is that if the transistor shorts & the magnet stays on & heats up it will trip the thermal fuse before the magnet shorts out & which can also damage the playfield. You can get pretty low temp thermal fuses.

I was thinking that with a regular inline fuse set up the magnet will stay energised if the transistor fails & get quite hot before it blows the fuse?

IMG_6687 (resized).JPGIMG_6687 (resized).JPG

#661 7 years ago
Quoted from Ruk-:

I got my first pinball machine today and it just had to be a Centaur.
Work to be done first is to try and get some sound working... I've read up every day for the past 3 weeks on possible causes and repairs to carry out on the S&T board etc which I am looking forward to starting tomorrow.
I also picked up a decent replacement playfield from someone who had upgrade to a CPR pf so a full swapover is on the cards soon... lots more reading to do first... love this place and I'm learning so much
So I'm a pinball owner now... a Centaur Club Member which is a proud moment woohoo

Welcome. If you have questions on the swap, let me know. Did one in December. Also I'm getting repair work done in 2 weeks on a non-working S&T board right now, so what I learn about that might be helpful.

#662 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Welcome. If you have questions on the swap, let me know. Did one in December. Also I'm getting repair work done in 2 weeks on a non-working S&T board right now, so what I learn about that might be helpful.

That's good to know, thanks. spent much of today doing some solder reflow work and changed all the caps on the S&T along with the trimmer pots. I also popped out all the chips and cleaned the legs up before carefully refitting... Not a peep yet out of it. I need to do some more thorough checks... I've got this strange nagging feeling that I'm an LED flash down, I get a single flash with a pause then 3 more... I think... it's too late now to boot it up. I know I won't get a fifth flash as I've no AY chip in and all EE's linked... ah well, tomorrow is another day

#663 7 years ago

So I needed a Centaur Apron, and couldn't find one. So I took scans from a pinside member and converted them to vector art in Illustrator. I'll probably have this either printed on vinyl for my apron or have a set of stencils made, since I have all channels separated. I'm officially putting my shingle out here at Pinside for anyone needing some vector art created. Call it a way to earn a little pinball money. Here's a medium resolution jpeg image of the Centaur result:

CentaurApronFinall (resized).jpgCentaurApronFinall (resized).jpg

#664 7 years ago

Just picked this up yesterday!!!!! So excited been looking for one for a while and got a great deal on it

20170204_145116 (resized).jpg20170204_145116 (resized).jpg

20170204_152703 (resized).jpg20170204_152703 (resized).jpg

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from grantwood911:

Just picked this up yesterday!!!!! So excited been looking for one for a while and got a great deal on it

Nice acquisition there... I got mine this week also and I've neglected all normal living while I work on the ongoing S&T sound problems

#666 7 years ago

Great acquisitions! RESTORE CENTAUR CENTAUR CENTAUR

1 week later
#667 7 years ago

Hey guys picked up a centaur this weekend and am looking for replacement drop targets. Seems like marcos and some of the other normal sites are sold out. Anyone know who else sells these?

#668 7 years ago

Yes, Pinball Resource has them in stock for $4 each under Playfield Parts > Drop Targets. I think all of the sellers get them from Pinball Resource.

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Yes, Pinball Resource has them in stock for $4 each under Playfield Parts > Drop Targets. I think all of the sellers get them from Pinball Resource.

Correction - Pinball Resource appears out at well. But Classic Arcades shows them in stock for $36 a complete set of 8.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Correction - Pinball Resource appears out at well. But Classic Arcades shows them in stock for $36 a complete set of 8.

Thanks for the tip ... just purchased a set. I'm not happy that my previous set is wearing the letters off the front. Will definitely cover the new set with Mylar.

#671 7 years ago

Anyone know where to get a centaur overlay

#672 7 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Anyone know where to get a centaur overlay

I'd like to know this as well!

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I'd like to know this as well!

Me too.

#674 7 years ago

My custom Centaur coming together.

IMG_20170219_182419585 (resized).jpgIMG_20170219_182419585 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170222_204641354 (resized).jpgIMG_20170222_204641354 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170213_180910237 (resized).jpgIMG_20170213_180910237 (resized).jpg

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

My custom Centaur coming together.

That cabinet is awesome, but I'd hate to be the one who has to handle it when moving it. OUCH!

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

That cabinet is awesome, but I'd hate to be the one who has to handle it when moving it. OUCH!

I just noticed on my solenoid expander board, there's a line printed on the PCB where a jumper normally would be. But mine appears to be clipped off. Is that normal for this game or did someone do a hack. I hate it when people start clipping off componenets that were part of the original design. Here's the board with a pen pointing to where the wire / jumper was clipped off.

Photo Feb 25, 3 41 14 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Feb 25, 3 41 14 PM (resized).jpg

#677 7 years ago

Here's another solenoid expander board (from Medusa) where the wire-jumper is not clipped off.

Photo Feb 25, 3 38 02 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Feb 25, 3 38 02 PM (resized).jpg

#678 7 years ago

It's game-specific and you have to look at the schematics. Medusa shows the jumper, Centaur does not, so yours should be fine.

#679 7 years ago

calico1997 Here is a pic of mine and it does look like the link is factory snipped out rather than just not fitted.

IMG_20170228_002444 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_002444 (resized).jpg

#680 7 years ago

calico1997
The Bally Solenoid Expander relay had two functions.
1) Expand the allotted solenoids in a game.
2) As a Snubber relay to one coil.
Bally used it as a Snubber relay to the ball kickout assembly
on Centaur. Thus, the clipped jumper.
On all other Bally pinballs from the early 80's, it is used as
a Solenoid Expander.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

calico1997
The Bally Solenoid Expander relay had two functions.
1) Expand the allotted solenoids in a game.
2) As a Snubber relay to one coil.
Bally used it as a Snubber relay to the ball kickout assembly
on Centaur. Thus, the clipped jumper.
On all other Bally pinballs from the early 80's, it is used as
a Solenoid Expander.

I have learned something new! Thanks for the explanation.

1 week later
#682 7 years ago

Agh I couldn't help it!IMAG2289 (resized).jpgIMAG2289 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#683 7 years ago

My boy, Beemer, approves of the new speaker system for Centaur...

IMG_0173 (resized).JPGIMG_0173 (resized).JPG

#684 7 years ago

Picked up a new slot machine. I can't help but think the designers at the Bally Gaming division were influenced by the Centaur color scheme.

IMG_7047 (resized).JPGIMG_7047 (resized).JPG

#685 7 years ago

New member to pinside... just bought first ever pinball machine: Centaur!

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from porkbone:

No other pin remotely close to Centaur. Great choice!

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from porkbone:

Awesome first pin, well done!

1 month later
#688 6 years ago

Anyone replaced the back and bottom of these Bally cabinets?

Picked up a Centaur in the last year and while I have it apart to swap the playfield I noticed the back particle board on the cab is separating from the sides. Since it is busted at the bottom I think I will replace it and the beer stained bottom while I have the back off.

Any advice or tricks to do that? I have replaced the back and bottom on a System 6 so was wondering if Bally is any different besides the crappy particle board.

Ever notice how these simple playfield swaps snowball to bigger restores. I still hope not to stencil if I do the back right.

#689 6 years ago

If u change your mind on this project, I would be a buyer.

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Anyone replaced the back and bottom of these Bally cabinets?
Picked up a Centaur in the last year and while I have it apart to swap the playfield I noticed the back particle board on the cab is separating from the sides. Since it is busted at the bottom I think I will replace it and the beer stained bottom while I have the back off.
Any advice or tricks to do that? I have replaced the back and bottom on a System 6 so was wondering if Bally is any different besides the crappy particle board.
Ever notice how these simple playfield swaps snowball to bigger restores. I still hope not to stencil if I do the back right.

I did it on my Centaur. Relatively painless if you have done any wood working before.

IMG_20160510_183832 (resized).jpgIMG_20160510_183832 (resized).jpg

#691 6 years ago
Quoted from porkbone:

wow! one of the top 3 ss Bally's to be your first ever,Impressive.

#692 6 years ago

So my dream centaur is about to get built by Keith Holbrook. I have been gathering parts for a long time and was going to do it myself. I even found another centaur that I thought would be a donor but it just turned out to nice once I got it playing. So I decided to wait a bit longer and get a pro to restore/rebuild it.

My centaur will be using one of the three special white playfields CPR did years ago, brand new cabinet, NOS backglass, chrome everything and black chrome legs. Upgraded sound and retro LEDs. It should be a heck of a game once done and dumb how much I'm putting into it , but hey it'll be worth it to have something truly special. I'll post pics when it's finished up. Should be about 4 weeks we are guessing.

Just can't wait. My current centaur is pretty nice and I probably would have never went down this path if I found it first. However I've been wanting this to get done for a long time now ever since I saw the white playfield, so I just kept at it.

#693 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

So my dream centaur is about to get built by Keith Holbrook. I have been gathering parts for a long time and was going to do it myself. I even found another centaur that I thought would be a donor but it just turned out to nice once I got it playing. So I decided to wait a bit longer and get a pro to restore/rebuild it.
My centaur will be using one of the three special white playfields CPR did years ago, brand new cabinet, NOS backglass, chrome everything and black chrome legs. Upgraded sound and retro LEDs. It should be a heck of a game once done and dumb how much I'm putting into it , but hey it'll be worth it to have something truly special. I'll post pics when it's finished up. Should be about 4 weeks we are guessing.
Just can't wait. My current centaur is pretty nice and I probably would have never went down this path if I found it first. However I've been wanting this to get done for a long time now ever since I saw the white playfield, so I just kept at it.

I hate you.
lol
Can I buy your other one?

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

I hate you.
lol
Can I buy your other one?

I feel the love. It will be for sale but I think there is a local guy who already has dibs. I'm not letting it go until this other one is done though.

Looks like we are putting s 10" sub with tweeter, enclosure and 200Watt amp in it. If anyone heard the amazingly loud centaur at TPF in 2016 that one was an 8" without an enclosure. It could blow the playfield glass so we're trying to do a step better and make sure the machine is protected.

Looks like I may be taking it to TPF in 2018 and have it in Keith's booth. He's excited about it too but that is a ways off.

#695 6 years ago

So probably be about six weeks before it's done since chroming is going to take a while.

The old playfield has been stripped and the new one is coming together.

IMG_3003 (resized).JPGIMG_3003 (resized).JPG

IMG_3004 (resized).JPGIMG_3004 (resized).JPG

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

So probably be about six weeks before it's done since chroming is going to take a while.
The old playfield has been stripped and the new one is coming together.

Man I love that playfield. I asked Kevin to make me one in the latest batch, but he said no-go.

#697 6 years ago

I went with all black drop targets and all black pop bumper parts.

c10 (resized).JPGc10 (resized).JPG

c11 (resized).JPGc11 (resized).JPG

#698 6 years ago

Looks good, but I had bought the drops about 2 years ago

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from ripple:

I went with all black drop targets and all black pop bumper parts.

Where are these sold?

#700 6 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Where are these sold?

order centaur2 targets to get black

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 195.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.