20231009_182416 (resized).jpg
20231009_182336 (resized).jpg
20230919_184247 (resized).jpg
IMG_9524 (resized).jpeg
image16367 (resized).jpg
20230813_123311 (resized).jpg
345694115_274152354957119_6832428364690629222_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4456 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 47.
#501 7 years ago

High end pin's didn't patented his silver cabinet version so I felt free to do a little copy

IMG_3169_(resized).JPGIMG_3169_(resized).JPG

IMG_3171_(resized).JPGIMG_3171_(resized).JPG

IMG_3186_(resized).JPGIMG_3186_(resized).JPG

IMG_3224_(resized).JPGIMG_3224_(resized).JPG

IMG_3225_(resized).JPGIMG_3225_(resized).JPG

IMG_3240_(resized).JPGIMG_3240_(resized).JPG

IMG_3242_(resized).JPGIMG_3242_(resized).JPG

IMG_3210_(resized).JPGIMG_3210_(resized).JPG

#502 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

High end pin's didn't patented his silver cabinet version so I felt free to do a little copy

Is that an original or reprinted coindoor sticker? If reprinted, where did you get it? Only one I've seen that looks correct like the original.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Is that an original or reprinted coindoor sticker? If reprinted, where did you get it? Only one I've seen that looks correct like the original.

Sorry no idea, bought some years ago somewhere on the internet ...

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

I'm in love with this.

#505 7 years ago

Hell yesssssssss

#506 7 years ago

I'd like my Centaur cabinet completely upholstered in genuine black leather with metal studs all over it. Sort of like this.

modern-storage-cabinets_(resized).jpgmodern-storage-cabinets_(resized).jpg

#507 7 years ago

Regarding the amazing voice in the early 80's Bally games, especially Centaur and Elektra for example, A number of people attributed the voice to that of Chicago voice artist Ken Nordine. I wanted to clarify this is almost certainly not Ken Nordine. I'm a huge fan of these games and of Ken, but I am about 99.99% certain the voice Bally used is the same guy they used in 1982 for Williams Sinistar - Mr. John Doremus. (He was a Chicago radio and voice talent that passed away in 1995, while by the way Ken Nordine is still alive and in his 90s).

They have similar voices, both deep. But Ken Nordine has a more throaty voice while Doremus has a more nasal sound. Keep in mind the voices in the games are some times slowed down or otherwise modified. Especially in Centaur, you can really mess with the voice.

Here's a link of John Doremus doing a cheesy 80's promo video for a private school. Fast forward about 1 minute into the video and then listen. It is clearly the Centaur guy's voice (without the reverb). It would be really cool if someone who knows how to make new roms sampled some of his words in this video and created new callout roms for Centaur!

And of course, here he is in Centaur:

And here he is (factually, as matter of record) as Sinistar:

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I'd like my Centaur cabinet completely upholstered in genuine black leather with metal studs all over it. Sort of like this.

Coolest idea EVER. Add the Centaur graphics sewn/embroidered on like the MC club logo/rocker on a biker jacket.

1 week later
#509 7 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Do you mind telling me where you got the lighted red flipper buttons? I did not know these were available for Bally games of the early 1980s. Thank you.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I just got myself a Bally sticker for my coin door. What is the difference between the correct original sticker and an incorrect reproduction? Mine is on a silver background material. I assumed it is NOS by maybe not?

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I just got myself a Bally sticker for my coin door. What is the difference between the correct original sticker and an incorrect reproduction? Mine is on a silver background material. I assumed it is NOS by maybe not?

The one sold on ebay is similar to the sticker above but (to my eyes) it's a mess. The letters in "Bally" are too thin, the circle is off-center, and there should be an even # of triangles so that the bottom one points to 6 o'clock, matching the pattern on the older Bally pop bumper caps; instead there are eleven. Also the overall artwork is too small on the sticker.

Whoever produced them should have had the artwork done correctly before producing hundreds/thousands of incorrect-looking parts. Yeah, I know this is real nitpickety, it's just a coindoor sticker and you don't play the coindoor, you play the game; it's just a pet peeve of mine leftover from incorrect decals on restored musclecars. If I could find a place to print a small run of mirrored mylar stickers I'd have them done myself.

#512 7 years ago

Classic Arcades on eBay?

#513 7 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations for the specific touch up paint that works well for the Centaur cabinet silver and red colors? I'm terrible at color matching.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Link in this thread with a cab that has the metal studs

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only?tq&tu=stu#post-1155549

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Does anyone have recommendations for the specific touch up paint that works well for the Centaur cabinet silver and red colors? I'm terrible at color matching.

Unfortunately, due to fading you probably won't find a great match off the shelf. I would take the head into Lowes or Home Depot.

#516 7 years ago

Hi. I got my Centaur 1 and am going to repaint the legs. They look to be dark metalic gunmetal gray. Can anyone confirm that is the correct original finish for this machine? I thought they were supposed to be black but it is hard to tell from photos. Thanks.

20160817_165344_(resized).jpg20160817_165344_(resized).jpg

#517 7 years ago

Yes, they are dark metallic gun metal grey. I'll go see what I found as a match.

#519 7 years ago

I tested a small area of the playfield with melamine foam and alcohol. ...the right side cheek of the girls face. Cleaned up and whitend up quite nicely! Just tedious work and very risky if I over do it.

20160817_120123_(resized).jpg20160817_120123_(resized).jpg

#520 7 years ago

Regarding the ribbed red posts (Centaur 1), Marco sells one that is 1 inch or another that is 1 and 1/8th. I pulled a few pieces on my machine that all seem to be 1 and 1/8th. But someone previously said BOTH sizes are on this machine. Can anyone verify both sizes are used? I can't seem to find any 1" posts.

1_and_1_eigth_(resized).jpg1_and_1_eigth_(resized).jpg

1_inch_(resized).jpg1_inch_(resized).jpg

#521 7 years ago

Your machine may be different than mine but my Centaur used 1-3/16" ribbed posts as opposed to 1-1/8". Both the 1-3/16" (C952-1) and the 1" posts (C951-1) are available at Pinball Resource:

http://www.pbresource.com/posts.html

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Hi. I got my Centaur 1 and am going to repaint the legs. They look to be dark metalic gunmetal gray. Can anyone confirm that is the correct original finish for this machine? I thought they were supposed to be black but it is hard to tell from photos. Thanks.

These were the two that I picked up but one was spot on and I can't remember which one. I'm 99% sure it was the dark one. I picked them up at an auto store.

IMG_20160817_212134655_(resized).jpgIMG_20160817_212134655_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160817_212214112_(resized).jpgIMG_20160817_212214112_(resized).jpg

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Yes, they are dark metallic gun metal grey. I'll go see what I found as a match.

Thanks for the paint information. I went with Rustoleum just because that's the brand I normally use. The result was good, though the metallic aspect was a little more sparkly than I intended.

20160818_084137_(resized).jpg20160818_084137_(resized).jpg
20160818_084128_(resized).jpg20160818_084128_(resized).jpg
20160818_192741_(resized).jpg20160818_192741_(resized).jpg

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The one sold on ebay is similar to the sticker above but (to my eyes) it's a mess. The letters in "Bally" are too thin, the circle is off-center, and there should be an even # of triangles so that the bottom one points to 6 o'clock, matching the pattern on the older Bally pop bumper caps; instead there are eleven. Also the overall artwork is too small on the sticker.
Whoever produced them should have had the artwork done correctly before producing hundreds/thousands of incorrect-looking parts. Yeah, I know this is real nitpickety, it's just a coindoor sticker and you don't play the coindoor, you play the game; it's just a pet peeve of mine leftover from incorrect decals on restored musclecars. If I could find a place to print a small run of mirrored mylar stickers I'd have them done myself.

I ended up buying the Bally sticker from Marco and also from the guy on Ebay. Here's the comparison of the two. The Marco one is on the top. It is significantly different and is far better is most regards, so my advice is buy from Marco.

20160820_193109_(resized).jpg20160820_193109_(resized).jpg

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT
This is all you need to bend your own wire gates.

I found it to be useless in real life. two pair of pliers worked much better for me.

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I ended up buying the Bally sticker from Marco and also from the guy on Ebay. Here's the comparison of the two. The Marco one is on the top. It is significantly different and is far better is most regards, so my advice is buy from Marco.

Dang man, that eBay one is so bad!

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

Dang man, that eBay one is so bad!

The Marco sticker really isn't any better. The circular background is more accurate but still has the wrong # of triangles, and the BALLY word is uneven and looks like it was drawn by a child. If anyone has a decent original sticker or door with a sticker on it that they can scan, I'd like to redo the artwork.

#528 7 years ago

Interesting. I'd be happy to help somehow, i.e. buying good reproductions.

#529 7 years ago

I think I have a NOS decal to compare.

#530 7 years ago

Here are a couple of decals I have, the top one is probably a NOS from about 20 or so years ago, I don't remember where the bottom one is from, different again to Marco's & the ebay decals, but still incorrect. The top one looks correct. May look a bit out of proportion due to the angle I needed to take the shot & not have a reflection.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#531 7 years ago

I have not yet hooked up the Centaur that I bought but can someone tell me if these 2 MPU Roms are supposed to be the factory version or the home version? Also are those 4 little red wires orignal or put there to accommodate the new Roms?

Thanks for your input!

20160827_215858 (resized).jpg20160827_215858 (resized).jpg

#532 7 years ago

Does this rubber kit look correct? https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/990

Any links to custom rule cards?

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I have not yet hooked up the Centaur that I bought but can someone tell me if these 2 MPU Roms are supposed to be the factory version or the home version? Also are those 4 little red wires orignal or put there to accommodate the new Roms?
Thanks for your input!

The home rom page says their version is 2.7.

#534 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Does this rubber kit look correct? https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/990
Any links to custom rule cards?

Looks right to me, although I think I may have entered it.

#535 7 years ago

I have a quick question about Bally stand up targets. I'm fixing up a Centaur and noticed there's no foam cushions (weather stripping) behind any of the targets. I'm used to seeing foam on all my Williams stand up targets. Did Bally just not do that in 1981 or is my foam just missing from all the stand ups?

Thanks.

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

I have a quick question about Bally stand up targets. I'm fixing up a Centaur and noticed there's no foam cushions (weather stripping) behind any of the targets. I'm used to seeing foam on all my Williams stand up targets. Did Bally just not do that in 1981 or is my foam just missing from all the stand ups?
Thanks.

Pretty sure that's standard. None of my classic Bally pins have them.

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

I have seen at least 7 Centaurs ( + mine ) with a larger ball in the Queen's Chamber....And to clarify: I have a Black Pearl in mine now which is the exact same size as a "regular" pinball which fits just fine, the original factory plastics had no damage and were not expanded/widended through use of play......I guess it's possible that all 8 of the Centaurs I have seen with a larger ball in the Queens Chamber were not original but " I " tend to doubt it, then again anything is possible.....

I'm restoring a Centaur that I purchased last month. This subject about the ball size in the Queen's chamber is an old one but did it get confirmed? There didn't seem to be a consensus if the Queens chamber uses a special ball size or not. The balls in my machine are all sort of new, so not original. They are all the same size. I'd just like to make the game as original and correct as possible. Thanks.

#538 7 years ago

hello there,

Recently got a Centaur but have been running into some issues. I am hoping I might be able to get some assistance here.
Basically the slingshots are not working proeprly. The right one triggers but does not retract when activated. It does go back if the power is cut and the left slingshot just doesn't respond. The blades are not touching. Not much to go on I know.

#539 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Thanks for your input!

It looks as if the two bottom wires (E16a-E29, and E33-E35) were installed sometime after the board was made, judging by the flux around the solder connections. From what I can see in the pic, the board is strapped correctly for two 2732 EPROMS, which is what you have in the U2 and U6 sockets.

The chart is here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_AS-2518-35_or_AS-2518-133_Jumper_Info

If the board doesn't power up, check the jumpers on the board against the chart entry for 2732 in both U2 and U6.

It appears you have the home version ROMs. I have them and I think they make the game more fun and challenging. The changes from factory are detailed here:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

Michael Beverly

#540 7 years ago

Yes, turns out they are home version ROMS and they are awesome. Glad someone else put them in so I don't have to. Everything works great. I just wanted to know before I powered it up.

Incidentally, it was really weird since the batteries had to be re-installed, the game settings defaulted back to virtually no sound effects. I thought the machine was really messed up but then I saw in the manual that you have to change the sound settings to option 3 or something like that to turn all the sounds on. Another person perviously in this thread learned the same thing. Weird, but what a relief to know it was just a setting.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

...This subject about the ball size in the Queen's chamber is an old one but did it get confirmed?

the general consensus was its a 1-1/8 bingo ball.

#542 7 years ago

Mine has the larger size bingo ball also. I'm pretty certain it would be the original ball in the queen's chamber, the game I have was Australian delivered, I can't imagine how a bingo ball would have found it's way into my game by mistake when you can't even buy bingo balls in Australia (as far as as I know).

#543 7 years ago

All the balls in my machine are really new looking, so I'm guessing the original bingo ball was replaced with standard. And I can see why...$15 for a Bingo Ball. But still, it would be nice to get the game back to original condition.

2016_09_11_22_32_52_Greenshot (resized).png2016_09_11_22_32_52_Greenshot (resized).png

#544 7 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Mine has the larger size bingo ball also. I'm pretty certain it would be the original ball in the queen's chamber, the game I have was Australian delivered, I can't imagine how a bingo ball would have found it's way into my game by mistake when you can't even buy bingo balls in Australia (as far as as I know).

Wow, I learned something new today!

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

All the balls in my machine are really new looking, so I'm guessing the original bingo ball was replaced with standard. And I can see why...$15 for a Bingo Ball. But still, it would be nice to get the game back to original condition.

Marco is a great company with much stuff unavailable elsewhere, but some of their prices are "unrealistic". Same ball at Pinball Resource is $3.52

http://www.pbresource.com/Balls.html

#546 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip! What Marco does with a great web site and lots of parts, PBR makes up for with a clunky web site but awesome prices.

Dan

1 week later
#547 7 years ago

Does anyone have just the 20,40,50 decals? Don't need the whole set. Thanks!

#548 7 years ago

The wireform fell off this switch that is just at the front right edge of the playfield. Found the wire in the cabinet but no idea how it is supposed to interact with the ball. The position of the switch mounting does not seem to allow it to interact with any balls. I assume this is somehow for the multuball system. Anyone with a photo of the correct looking swtich and its wireform would be a hero to me.

20160923_130312 (resized).jpg20160923_130312 (resized).jpg

20160923_130228 (resized).jpg20160923_130228 (resized).jpg

#549 7 years ago

20160920_160801 (resized).jpg20160920_160801 (resized).jpg

#550 7 years ago

It needs to register closed with the ball in the trough. Mine was missing and I just used one from a coin mech. Just take off the C clip and try a couple of configurations.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 195.00
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 2,324 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-clubmembers-only/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.