New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 177711)

Centaur. Ball stuck in under play field Orb ramp

By TinyToo

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TinyToo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Occasionally I find during a game that a ball has stayed in the under play field Orb release ramp messing up that game (normally one of my better scoring games of course). When I manually test all combinations of extra balls with the play field glass off it always works perfectly. I'm wondering if it's caused by a ball being knocked back into the shooter lane, which in turn collides with a ball just emerging from the under playfield ramp and knocking that ball back into the Orb under playfield ramp. It's not something that you're going to notice as when you have a multiball you tend to be too busy with the flippers to notice. So all you Centaur owners out there, do you have a similar problem, is there any adjustments that can be made to help?

I'm even considering wiring a switch to the Orb kick to playfield solenoid so that I can trigger it manually and release the stuck ball back into play and continue the game!

#2 3 years ago

I had a similar issue after installing a cpr playfield. Partly, it seemed, with the tension caused by the spring steel flap where the ball emerges. Occasionally the ball would get kicked along the underside wireform but it didn't have enough velocity to pop out onto to the playfield.

I upgraded the coil strength, trimmed back the end of the chaffed wires and used new solder, and I just slightly tweeked the metal flap up and the problem went away. Make sure that there are no obstructions, including the range/arc that the end of the metal flap has to bend into.

Edit...I also suggest temporarily removing the metal arch above the shooter lane to see if that might be rejecting balls. Its the easiest first step. Its been a while since I sold it, so I may be mistaken on this element of the prolem.

#3 3 years ago

This seems to be a common issue with the under playfield trough. I suspect this may be why they have the ball kick-out attract mode option.

Normally what I have to do before a tournament is lift the playfield slightly and kick all the balls out on to the playfield. Then let them return one-by-one back to the lower trough. It's usually fine for the entire day if I do that. Not sure what the issue is, but have chalked it up to bad design. I've never torn it all apart to check, but have heard many others with the same issue.

#4 3 years ago

Edit: Already better covered by other posters.

#5 3 years ago

I installed a flipper coil in mine since the mech is essentially a flipper mounted sideways - same base plate. You get a little more oomph with the flipper coil.

I also wired in an EOS switch in case the driver transistor shorts or the relay sticks. If that coil locks on you don't even know it until smoke is rolling up from under the playfield. With the flipper coil/EOS switch the coil can lock on and sit there all day like that without damaging anything.

#6 3 years ago

Try cleaning the wireform on the under playfield ramp and also adjust the little metal slope piece where the under playfield ramp meets the playfield like the other posters mentioned. With a lot of play this piece bends down below the playfield and makes it harder for a ball to come out smoothly. I would guess that while you are in play other solenoids are going off, so the under playfield ball launch doesn't get full power and the ball doesn't make it out. When you test the coil is firing by itself so there's no problem. The spring steel flap cover really shouldn't/doesn't have much tension at all.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks all, I'm pretty confident with the ball reaching the play field OK, spent some time getting this right, the balls fire out of the ramp reaching and firmly bouncing off the top left spring stop, so I don't think it's a failure to reach the play field. That's why I was wondering if it was a ball being knocked back into the shooter lane, this definitely happens occasionally and you just relaunch these balls. However if this happens when a ball is emerging from the under play field ramp, I think it would stop the ball emerging.

#8 3 years ago

I have now resolved this issue. I was given a clue that I wasn't on the right track when I realised that I was getting stuck balls more often, so the problem was getting worse. I eventually traced it to a maladjustment of the ball release mechanism. For those not familiar, 4 balls sit in a sloping rack and there is a stop/go mech that rotates, as it does so it releases the current ball, holding back the next, which then rolls down to become the new current ball. What seemed to be happening was that the first ball in the rack was only just being held back, with the weight of all 4 balls in the rack combined with the normal shaking of the machine, the first ball was dropping out into the under play field ramp. I adjusted the ball release mech and it now seems to be working fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside