P1020520 (resized).JPG
P1020522 (resized).JPG
P1020515 (resized).JPG
P1020514 (resized).JPG
P1020510 (resized).JPG
P1020509 (resized).JPG
IMG_6304 (resized).JPG
IMG_6302 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

That's great HPR that you posted here & made the ebay seller aware this is indeed a repro.

I bought a Centaur backglass maybe about 7 or so years ago from ebay. It was sold as a "new" a never installed backglass, no mention of a repro, assumed it was NOS. I received the backglass, looked like NOS then how I realised it was a repro as the "credit" wording in the credit window was silkscreened wording, Bally backglasses from this era always had a decal for the word "Credit", this is another way to tell immediately whether it is an original or a repro. The seller of the ebay backglass could check this detail easily also. Mine may be from the same production as the one on ebay. The ebay one looks darker, but may be the light & angle ect. of the shot.

Side by side with the repro & original, the repro looks almost exactly the same, except (as I know now) as pointed out by HPR it is not as black as the original due to the layering the original has, the repro is smooth to touch as their is not the layering, spot on, otherwise it's an incredible reproduction, resolution is almost the same. I have seen different production batches of original glasses that have much bigger variations when juxtaposed.

Soon after I noticed that they more of these repros were being sold from a website & ebay & had been sold since around 2005. This makes me now wonder if this was yet another run of Centaur repros as the Alan Meyer repros were from the 90s? This was much later when they were made & sold.

Here are some pics of my two backglasses, Repro & original, taking into account their will be some variation in the separate shots I take with the light angle & focus ect, the repro was in storage & has the packaging it was in when I received it. Pic on the left is the repro, right my original, you can see the repro is slightly lighter, but not much in it even if you are fussy. Top half of the glasses are backlit with natural light & do look similar. shading looks even less noticeable in person than the pic. You can see with the the close up the resolution is excellent, the credit decal sticker versus silkscreened & the smooth surface on the repro versus the layered on the original.

P1020509 (resized).JPGP1020509 (resized).JPG
P1020510 (resized).JPGP1020510 (resized).JPG
P1020514 (resized).JPGP1020514 (resized).JPG
P1020515 (resized).JPGP1020515 (resized).JPG
P1020522 (resized).JPGP1020522 (resized).JPG
P1020520 (resized).JPGP1020520 (resized).JPG
P1020521 (resized).JPGP1020521 (resized).JPG

P1020531 (resized).JPGP1020531 (resized).JPG
P1020529 (resized).JPGP1020529 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

Ok to clarify a few things, to discern if their is it is a decal or screened lettering look at my pic of the credit decal, you can see the decal edge along the top that extends beyond the lettering, if you can't see that edge you can run your finger nail along the top edge of the decal & unmistakeably feel the straight decal's raised edge running all the way along past the lettering, no mistake, if you can't feel this straight raised edge along the top of the lettering it is screened lettering & is a repro, (and repros do exist).

Here is a summary about the history of Centaur repro backglasses as I know it:

Someone out in Denver was doing a run of (non mirrored) repros around 2005, they were sold up till about 2008. They surfaced on ebay from time to time & also could be found being sold directly from a website, Then they disappeared. These are the only repros as far as I know & if any backglass doesn't meets the criteria with the decal or the raised layering on the ink it is probably one of those. Other that those repros their is only the 2 CPR versions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.95
£ 195.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-backglass-nos-ebay?tu=joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.