• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by FLASHBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HiPower Magnet Circuit.pdf (PDF preview)
Magnet Adapter Board Layout.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_3122 (resized).JPG
IMG_3130 (resized).JPG
IMG_3131 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I thought this little project would be of interest to other Centaur owners who might also be suffering from magnet envy.

My Centaur was already missing the magnet when I bought it and I always wanted to put it back. Unfortunately, as we all know, a direct replacement magnet is simply no longer available. The Williams 20-9247 magnet IS readily available and looks and mounts the same way, but the coil is rated quite a bit differently and it cannot be used as a direct replacement. Undaunted, I decided to research how other games drive this particular magnet to see if a workaround might be possible.

I came across the schematic for the High Power Solenoid Circuit in TZ and realized that this circuit was functionally similar to the one in Centaur, at least up to the TIP102 transistor. Whereas Centaur uses the TIP102 to switch the magnet directly, TZ uses the TIP102 to drive a TIP36C power transistor, which in turn switches the magnet. It appeared that the answer might be as simple as adding a few extra components to the Centaur magnet circuit, so I decided to give it a try.

The modified control circuit works like a charm.

Installation is not difficult, but you do need to run a couple of extra wires. The first one is for a new 43v source. I tapped the brown wire at the 1A SB fuse holder for this line. The other is for a new direct connection to ground. I tapped the black/white wire near the Aux. Driver board for this one. Both of these new wires were then neatly run along the wiring harness down towards the magnet area. The third input is the gray/red wire from the original magnet circuit. At least this one is already in the right spot. I installed the additional electronic components on a small piece of stripboard and mounted it to the playfield near the end of the ball launch ramp and connected everything with a couple of molex plugs.

I also added a separate fuse for this circuit. TZ protects its circuit with a 3A SB fuse, but the voltage in Centaur is a little lower and I found that a 2.5A SB is sufficient. I put the fuse holder near the existing one for the 1A SB fuse.

Hopefully the following images help clarify what’s involved.

IMG_3131 (resized).JPGIMG_3131 (resized).JPG

IMG_3130 (resized).JPGIMG_3130 (resized).JPG

IMG_3122 (resized).JPGIMG_3122 (resized).JPG

Magnet Adapter Board Layout.pdfMagnet Adapter Board Layout.pdf

HiPower Magnet Circuit.pdfHiPower Magnet Circuit.pdf

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timmo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centaur-20-9247-magnet-retrofit?tu=Timmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.