Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Concrete stain application.jpg
    concrete stain2.jpg
    stained concrete.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dieseldogpi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Figured I would see what people have used to paint a cement floor for a gameroom. I have to do paint because it is an area where my dumb dogs (3, 2 of which are over 100lbs) hang out, so carpet is out of the question. I was thinking the Rust-Oleum Epoxy paint like the one in the link.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-2-gal-Gray-High-Gloss-2-Part-Epoxy-Garage-Floor-Coating-Kit-251870/100671422?N=5yc1vZbd13

This is water based epoxy, is that not good, should I look for oil based? Any thoughts for alternatives welcome. I'm looking to keep it relatively cheap because this is not forever home, and ultimately, the rest of the room will not be finished (still have washer and dryer in a corner, etc.).

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I used some basement paint from Home Depot....came in a regular paint can and you could select from a bunch of colors (I don't think it was Behr but I can't remember)......10 years later, the paint is still looking pretty good

Its not Epoxy? You have pins on it? Spills?

Quoted from meSz:

Look into Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield 2-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit

Thinking of this as well

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I don't remember if it was epoxy, but it was a Home Depot basement paint (not a garage kit)...... I've had a bar with stools, pool table, arcade games, a couch, and lots of pins over the years on it. Holds up fairly well.

What about prep, do you remember what kind of prep. this is an older basement floor, I am having a restoration company come in to do a professional cleaning on it since my dogs have done a number on it over the years. I might have to patch some spots as well.

#23 10 years ago

Hmm, now I'm not sure as some people are saying the staining doesn't hold up. My real goal is to seal the floor so if there is a spill, it doesn't seem into the concrete, looking decent is an added bonus.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

The most important thing is the prep. Make sure you clean your floor really well. Then you need to acid etch it. That helps the paint to get in there and........

The bed liner stuff isn't a bad idea. I had done the bottom of an old jeep of mine in it, used a paint sprayer with a big gauge nozzle turned out great. I just feel like it will be a lot more work than the epoxy and might not be as durable as most of the lining paints have a definite texture (chunky rubber), and I would think moving a machine around on it would snag this rubber and rip the paint. I expect some wear, I just don't want to be touching up constantly.

If the dogs were out of the picture, I would consider those plastic snap locking pieces, or carpet or whatever. I just worry about spills or dog accidents.

As far as prepping, I am actually having a restoration company come in today to clean all of the cement, floor and the partial walls (walls go up to my shoulders). Once it is clean, no dogs allowed until I complete everything. Plan on giving it a couple of days to dry, then hope to paint or stain this weekend. At this point I think I am leaning towards epoxy paint. I also want to coat the partial walls as well. I don't plan on doing a total finishing job with sheet rock etc, and the walls get just as dirty from these dogs as the floor. I don't think staining would work well for rough walls. Wonder what the thought is about putting pads or something under the pin legs so the damage will be minimal from nudging/moving.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dieseldogpi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cement-paint-for-basement-gameroom?tu=dieseldogpi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.