By mcbPalisade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Someone asked about this idea I'm building so I thought I'd add some details.

I've seen a YT video on one of these already so it isn't a new idea. But using either an Android or IOS phone as an interface might be. Basically you can press any of the 4 switches without opening the coin drawer. This has obvious appeal, control everything with your cell phone or ipad.

There are 2 (or more) classes of users: SuperUser who can do anything (you the PB operator) and all others. Ordinary users can use the volume controls and do some other limited set of things. Only cell phones that have been added to the system can do any control.

The nice thing I'm building in is a macro capability which allows you to automate keystrokes. Examples: add 3 plays, go to tournament mode, go to free play mode, etc. You don't have to memorize the PM menus and no chance of a typo.

Regular users can be identified by their MAC (network) address so they don't have to authenticate. Examples are the venue holder, friends (don't have any : - ) etc. I would have a non-volatile setup that would hold how many free games they get (say 7 a week or whatever) and they can use those up and wait until I give them more. This solves the token/coupon thing. Any tender in the box is cash ( - :

Another advantage is you can test solenoids without closing the door, since it is already closed. RF communications are used as opposed to infrared so you can work the machine from anywhere within range (up to a couple hundred feet)

I've started on a simpler version that adds credits to my EM game, much easier, just a relay

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cellphone-interface-to-pb-4-button-control and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.