Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinster68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NewCarpet (resized).JPG
    light (resized).png
    rustic-exposed-beam-ceiling-in-a-shop (resized).jpg
    black (resized).jpg
    light (resized).jpg
    CellarGameroom (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

My 100+ year old house has a low-ceiling cellar with exposed joists. Currently the lighting is pendant lights that hang down, begging to be broken, and casting a crappy light on everything. I'm looking for ideas to light it up down there, and perhaps recess the lights between the joists. This could be a low-tech cheap solution (e.g., LED ropes), or pricier pro job. Whatever works ... please share any thoughts, personal experiences, etc....
    CellarGameroom (resized).JPGCellarGameroom (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Here was my cheap DIY solution for my basement. All in for about $200 if I remember correctly.

The LED stuff taped to the wall by the ceiling was cheap and provides a nice even glow without glare. I have mine hooked up to smart switches. Here is an old photo from the original install.

Full details in this thread along with tips from others. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-strip-lights-at-top-of-wall-or-edge-of-ceiling#post-5860425

light (resized).jpglight (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago

Track lights with small adjustable spotlights and that are dimmable. You can put a nice spot on each machine and adjust to just the right brightness.

#4 2 years ago

Can lights are pretty standard between joists.
    Not too expensive & you can do them yourself (depending on your familiarity with electricity).

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Can lights are pretty standard between joists.
    Not too expensive & you can do them yourself (depending on your familiarity with electricity).

I have used can lights extensively over the years, but I have found the new led "canless" lights even easier to use, though they are are designed for a drywall ceiling. However, you can do what they did here in the painted black ceiling, making little panels attached to the ceiling to mount the light.

Another light I have used where I did not have room for a can in the tight surface mounted lighted mounted directly to the electrical box which would be rigid metal conduit with metal boxes (the other two pics - replace the hanging pendants with the flush mounted led).

black (resized).jpgblack (resized).jpglight (resized).pnglight (resized).pngrustic-exposed-beam-ceiling-in-a-shop (resized).jpgrustic-exposed-beam-ceiling-in-a-shop (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago

No need for can lights these days, these Nora's are excellent. This one is 3000K so if you need it brighter there's a 5000K. Cheap and easy, throw it on a dimmer and you're set.

https://www.amazon.com/Nora-Lighting-NLOPAC-R650930AW-NLOPAC-R650930AW-15-Lumens-120V-White/dp/B07DKNCYTR/ref=asc_df_B07DKNCYTR/

#7 2 years ago

usually you don't want lights in a gameroom. Hence why Nice white GI's are so important in every game. but if you are doing lights, do them in the middle off the room over walkways. Never over or behind games, or you will get glare.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

usually you don't want lights in a gameroom. Hence why Nice white GI's are so important in every game. but if you are doing lights, do them in the middle off the room over walkways. Never over or behind games, or you will get glare.

Thanks Neo ... good point. I'm really looking for warm general illumination for the space that won't create lots of glare at any given pin. I'm thinking of recessing all the pendant lights and only using that circuit for when I'm working on pins/cleaning, and perhaps having a perimeter light, light rope, or scones for "play time".

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Here was my cheap DIY solution for my basement. [quoted image]

Thanks, this is a huge help.

#10 2 years ago

having your lights with dim features on the switch helps a lot too. That way, you can set the mood however you want.

#11 2 years ago

Added carpet tiles over the weekend.

NewCarpet (resized).JPGNewCarpet (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cellar-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.