Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by way2wyrd
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BBC98D5B-45F2-42B0-B2F9-052501A8D93D (resized).png
    waynes_world_-_h_-_1992 (resized).jpg
    4675067D-0CE9-433A-8C70-F9F79A7BF0C5 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    sweet 16 (resized).png
    7D702C4F-4F4B-4F78-AA45-31413270EC07.gif
    9D95C379-4165-4E0A-9351-40192785F309.gif
    85AECCC4-7260-41B5-A871-54A9C0F5860A.gif
    9EF5E95B-D089-4DDC-9840-C25C100B6158 (resized).jpeg
    16C (resized).jpg
    party.gif
    rct (resized).jpg
    gta (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 15.02.09 (resized).png

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Let's go back in time for a minute...

It was Friday November 2nd 2001. The US president at the time was George W. Bush. Chances were high that you would hear Lose Yourself by Eminem on the radio. Cinemas were playing The Pianist and Panic Room and on TV people were watching a brand new CSI Miami (and also the first season of Top Gear). And if you liked videogames you were probably playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Vice CityVice City

...And Pinball fans were looking at the freshly released Stern game: RollerCoaster Tycoon. Remember the troll? Oof, me too.

Rollercoaster TycoonRollercoaster Tycoon

But much more happened that day... Somewhere in the morning, around 11am. After weeks of brainstorming for a cool name, I decided on registering the domain name Pinside.com. I had started building my own solid state pinball database a little while earlier and was now looking to turn it into a news and discussion site about pinball. Hosted from an old server in my garage,

I worked on the site for every free evening I had. Pinside.com officially launched on November 18th 2002, almost a year later:

Pinside as it looked in December 2002Pinside as it looked in December 2002

Yeah, nice choice on the colours, I know!

You can still browse around the old site via the Wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20030401090929/http://www.pinside.com:80/home.asp

Fast forward 16 years and here we are today, with over 52,793 members and a gazillion posts (okay, actually I just counted them and there are 4,695,313) we are still going strong!

Anyways, someone reminded me of this milestone (thanks @fairground) and I decided to make a little celebration out of it. You don't turn 16 every day

Flip on!

#2 5 years ago

Congratulations and thank you for all your work and efforts for the hobby.

#3 5 years ago

Congrats!

16 years is a long time. I've had 3 different careers in that same time frame .

My oldest son is 14, so he didn't even exist then .

#4 5 years ago

Congrats Robin. Like I shared with you at TPF, your site is the finest enthusiast forum on the planet. Well done sir!

#5 5 years ago

Congrats Robin! I'm glad I've been around for a good chunk of that time, and look forward to many more years of pinball fun with all you crazy guys!

#6 5 years ago

Congratulations on the success of the site. I know for me it has been an eye opening experience. Thank you for that.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks Robin and congrats to Pinside!

#8 5 years ago

Congrats! And thanks for sharing the story

#9 5 years ago

Proficiat Robin !!!

#10 5 years ago

Pinside's now fair game in more than half of the U.S.... congrats!

#11 5 years ago

Wow how time flies by, these years have been going by quickly with all of the pinball talk going on. Your hard work and devotion has produced the best pinball forum in the world. I have noticed many people commenting on how great the format is compared to other forums. You truly have created something special and I really enjoy Pinside. I have met some great people and made some friends thanks to you. Congrats on 16 years! I look forward to the decades to come, these are exciting times!

Thanks Robin

#12 5 years ago

Huge congrats and thank you from me as well Robin. Cheers to another 16 years!

#13 5 years ago

Congrats it has been a good ride so far.

#14 5 years ago

I saw the party hat and confetti on the logo before I saw this thread - I had pretty good guess it was an annual milestone. I wouldn't have guessed 16 - Congrats, Robin.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#15 5 years ago

Pretty great software you've written here Robin! Congrats on the anniversary.

#16 5 years ago

Awesome 16 years is a great milestone. 20 isn't far away...

#17 5 years ago

robin congrats.

Who's the oldest active (non-staff) member?

... Altan

#18 5 years ago

Congrats Robin!

#19 5 years ago

Awesome job!!!!!

#20 5 years ago

Excellent work, this is one of the best forums online regardless of topic in terms of interface and presentation, and this milestone is a testament to that!

#21 5 years ago

Congratulations, Robin.

Happy 16th Birthday, Pinside!

Wish I'd known about it back in 2002. RGP was all I knew back then.

#22 5 years ago

Congratulations, Robin.

Thank you for giving a us a great source of communication, for an incredible hobby.

#24 5 years ago

I was wondering what the confetti and party hat were about, thought someone goof'd when putting a Thanksgiving logo up haha

Congrats!! Didn't even realize Pinside had started that long ago!

#25 5 years ago

well done..
    a great job on a site that helps many people get enjoyment from pinball and much more

#26 5 years ago

I think another round of donations is in order

#27 5 years ago

Mazel tov!

#28 5 years ago

PLAYBALL!!

#29 5 years ago

Gefeliciteerd Robin and Martijn!

#30 5 years ago

Congrats, Robin! Awesome forum.

... but could you please add some programming code that will automatically reduce current pin for-sale prices back to 2002 values, k'thnx.

Game on!

#31 5 years ago

Congrats!!!!! This site is a must for pinheads world wide!

#32 5 years ago

Happy Sweet 16 Pinside!

You should be very proud of what you've created Robin.

#33 5 years ago

Thanks Robin for giving us a place of our own.

#34 5 years ago

Congrats Robin and Happy Birthday.
    What you have created will outlast us all and live for over 100 years! In 2118 a NIB Stern pro will be 40k, and we will still be complaining about the price increase.

#35 5 years ago

Happy birfday pinside!

Thanks Robin for the awesome site, and the countless hours you spend keeping things in tip top shape!!

#36 5 years ago

Hi Robin
    Congratulations! 16 years ago you created a Big Bang in the pinball universe. Your creation allows us to contribute something in this pinball universe. Well done.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Chances were high that you would hear Lose Yourself by Eminem on the radio.

Hint on the next music pin?

#38 5 years ago

I found my first pinball machine. Then I discovered Pinside. And with all of the information in these pages I built my small collection of pins. I am having the time of my life chasing my pins, playing my pins, and restoring my pins. It would not have happened without Pinside.

Thank you !

#39 5 years ago

WooHoo!!!
    Save me a slice of cake.

#41 5 years ago

Happy Birthday Pinside!

You are doing a great job Robin!

#42 5 years ago

My only regret is not getting into the hobby sooner, or discovering this website sooner than 2012. Keep up the great work robin.

#43 5 years ago

Congratulations, and THANK YOU for such a great website! I know I've gained a lot through Pinside, whether it was buying or selling a machine or finding a local show. I'm very grateful!

#44 5 years ago

Today I learned I have contributed to .4% of Pinside's posts

Congrats Robin, you really have a great setup here after all your hard work, this is probably the most advanced forum I've ever used in terms of great and thoughtful features.

#45 5 years ago

Congrats on 16 sweet years Robin

#46 5 years ago

Thank you for creating the best pinball website in the world.
    Love the Pinside!

#47 5 years ago

Congratulations Robin !

Thank you Robin !

LTG : )

#48 5 years ago

Congrats Robin on a great site! Hope there is many more years to come!

#49 5 years ago

Thank you Robin for creating Pinside.

It's a fantastic achievement and a wonderful place for pinball enthusiests to get pinball news, congregate, share stories, seek advice and enjoy the hobby. It's thanks to you sir, that we have this meeting place for all pinheads. Thank you.

#50 5 years ago

Thank you for creating something wonderful and powerful. I have learned much of what I know about pinball through pinside or at least used the site to find an initial direction to find what I need.

The site is stable- easy to use!

Congratulations and cheers to a 32nd B-day party in 16 short years.

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/celebrating-16-years-of-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.