Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).jpg
    b6c52c9d-354a-4d84-991b-369a5c15859f_1000 (resized).jpg
    8b06e8ad-c29c-4ea5-95d2-15884c19062e_1000 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Reaching the 50+ machine mark now I have to make center rows for the machines , is having ceiling mounted receptacles good for basement arcades ?

#2 6 years ago

I have 5 20A twist\locking plugs on the ceiling. The cord has a standard 4 outlet box at the end of it which I can chain of off if I want.

I've used this setup for years and think it works real well.

Not sure if the pics are the exact stuff I have but you'll get the idea

8b06e8ad-c29c-4ea5-95d2-15884c19062e_1000 (resized).jpg8b06e8ad-c29c-4ea5-95d2-15884c19062e_1000 (resized).jpg

b6c52c9d-354a-4d84-991b-369a5c15859f_1000 (resized).jpgb6c52c9d-354a-4d84-991b-369a5c15859f_1000 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

I dropped a #12 SO cord down from a j.box at the ceiling and put some duplex receptacles in a metal box and he box just lays on the floor. The twist-lock idea above is a nice idea to keep the cord from pulling out and if you ever want to move things around and not have cords rolled up at the ceiling.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from jasong78:

is having ceiling mounted receptacles good for basement arcades ?

I don't have them on the ceiling, but I do have about 15 of them right at the top of the wall next to the ceiling, about 4' apart. Never had a problem with them and glad I had it done. It doesn't help with your situation though of needing them for a middle row. But still, I would have no hesitation on putting them on the ceiling.

You can see some pics (of the old set up of my game room) here (was focused more on the games than electrical outlets, but you can still get the idea):
    http://www.missilecommand.net/Joe_Bachmann_FTP_2015_09_15/unknown_comic_game_room/tour_view/
    Some of the pics there show them a little better than others...
    http://www.missilecommand.net/Joe_Bachmann_FTP_2015_09_15/unknown_comic_game_room/tour_view/01enter.jpg
    http://www.missilecommand.net/Joe_Bachmann_FTP_2015_09_15/unknown_comic_game_room/tour_view/04move_right_1.jpg
    http://www.missilecommand.net/Joe_Bachmann_FTP_2015_09_15/unknown_comic_game_room/tour_view/07move_right_4.jpg
    http://www.missilecommand.net/Joe_Bachmann_FTP_2015_09_15/unknown_comic_game_room/tour_view/10move_right_7.jpg

Best of luck!

Joe

#5 6 years ago

If I had to do it over again, I would use what Monster_Bash suggested, but take a step farther. The type of setup he mentions is commonly used over server racks. There is a twist lock plug in the ceiling and then a heavy cord drop to a Power Distribution box that has the capability to support 4 smaller power strips that mount in the rack. I would run 4 or 6 pins off of every PDC.....that way you only have to pull one plug or throw one switch to disconnect a group, and each strip also has it's own dedicated switch. You usually order the PDC with the strips included, and I am betting it would be cheaper than having a plug installed for every pin. The PDC is very thin and flat so it fits in the server rack, and it comes with a variety of mount adapters so you can mount it to the bottom of a machine, a wall, or wherever you want it to be.

#6 6 years ago

Funny..
    Our 'computer' company was bought and relocated. I got about 10 or so cables from our old racks... from the old building. I only needed to wire in the receptacle side

Quoted from Manimal:

If I had to do it over again, I would use what Monster_Bash suggested, but take a step farther. The type of setup he mentions is commonly used over server racks. There is a twist lock plug in the ceiling and then a heavy cord drop to a Power Distribution box that has the capability to support 4 smaller power strips that mount in the rack. I would run 4 or 6 pins off of every PDC.....that way you only have to pull one plug or throw one switch to disconnect a group, and each strip also has it's own dedicated switch. You usually order the PDC with the strips included, and I am betting it would be cheaper than having a plug installed for every pin. The PDC is very thin and flat so it fits in the server rack, and it comes with a variety of mount adapters so you can mount it to the bottom of a machine, a wall, or wherever you want it to be.

#7 6 years ago

I have ceiling mounted receptacles in my basement, works fine. They are just standard receptacles, not twist lock.

Pinball (resized).jpgPinball (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Normal U-ground receptacles are way cheaper than twist lock, there are two to a box, and there is enough friction to hold the plug. Don't over think it.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from alienagent:

Don't over think it.

Don't under-think it either. It is going to depend on the weight of the cord you use as to whether a u-ground will hold. You have to remember, the OP is asking about hanging from the ceiling down a middle row, not mounted at a right angle high on the wall. Nothing worse than being in the middle of an epic game and a cord coming unplugged........

#10 6 years ago

Create a strain relief to keep the weight of the cord from hanging on the plug and you shouldn't have to worry about things quite as much.

#11 6 years ago

Down the center of the room I have 12 outlets about every 5-6 feet. Over kill but so what.

John

#12 6 years ago

I have standard receptacles in the ceiling pointing down. They got put in new a few years ago. Never once have had one come unplugged. They are pretty snug.... at least new.

6 games or so on each 20 amp breaker and three games upstairs are on a 15amp circuit. No problems, even when they are all getting played at once.

#13 6 years ago

Some people use ceilings and even floors, but if it is dedicated space , consider adding from the side walls if available, first for aestethics. The key point in any home or gameroom is not just overage in terms of amperage, but protection from water, especially roofs. If you are adding additional outlets vertical, consider an additional moisture barrier while doing the work. The small amount of work will pay for itself in the long run.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Some people use ceilings and even floors, but if it is dedicated space , consider adding from the side walls if available, first for aestethics. The key point in any home or gameroom is not just overage in terms of amperage, but protection from water, especially roofs. If you are adding additional outlets vertical, consider an additional moisture barrier while doing the work. The small amount of work will pay for itself in the long run.

Issue with my basement was it is cinder blocks on the outside walls. I got some knotty pine stuff over the cinder blocks, but no room for outlets. That is why I did the ceiling.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ceiling-mounted-receptacles-got-arcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.