Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by AndHart120
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160124_140825_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.19.14_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.19.07_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.19.01_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.18.56_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.18.51_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.18.38_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.18.44_(resized).jpg
    2016-06-23_17.18.30_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140338_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140333_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140330_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140326_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140321_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140318_(resized).jpg
    20150802_140315_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boagman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamawaldee:

I'm 47, been going to CP almost every year since a little kid, sometimes twice a year. I think the whole fastlane concept has seriously messed that place up.

Depends on your viewpoint. We're not that far away in age: I'm 43, you're 4 years my senior. The second-to-last time I went to Cedar Point, about 5 years ago, was the *worst* trip to CP I've ever been on. Lousy day, rain closed TTD and MF (amongst others) on a Saturday, park was *packed*, and lines were untenable: I had to literally give up on Raptor because, after 45 minutes in line, the bathroom call was just too great, and it appeared to be at least another hour before the ride was going to be boarded. The whole day would have been better (but certainly not *good*, by any definition) had I been able to board the limited rides available faster.

Fast forward two years, and I and my companions all bought Fast Pass Plus for the first year of Gatekeeper. Oh, my word: what a *difference*. This, without a doubt, was the absolute *best* time I'd *ever* had at CP, and not by a small margin. We got to ride every single thing we wanted to, some multiple times, and here was the best part: Fast Pass Plus bought us *time*. Time. What an absolutely precious commodity at CP. It's *amazing* how much slower and less able to take the heat of the summer you are at 40 than at 20. I *remember* standing in lines for 2 hours for one ride...and it taxed me back then. Today? I'm not up to the challenge.

Really, though, the best part of FPP was being able to sit down between things, eat normally at places of our choosing, take bathroom breaks as needed, and just not rush the crap out of ourselves the whole day through. Someone's not feeling too great after a couple consecutive rides on Raptor? No problem...we can sit down and let her recover. Hungry? Sure, we can eat or grab something to drink and sit down like human beings and consume it like civilized people. Tired of walking? Well heck: let's find some seats in the shade and rejuvenate if you're tired. There's no rush...we'll get to everything.

And we *did* get to everything; that was the best part! We missed *nothing*. And what we wanted to do multiple times? We did multiple times. At the end of the day, we were all happy, and I was absolutely gobsmacked with how great FPP made the day. It was surreal...I'd never known CP could *be* that great. I'll never again go without doing at least the FP, and depending on what's on offer for FPP, I might do that. But to go and be in the "regular" lines? Never, ever again.

Now: it's important to know that I don't get to go every year, or every second year, or even every third year...so I feel more free to spend more money on such things when I do go. Consider that I haven't been back since Gatekeeper was new: that should tell you something right there.

I'm not saying it's completely good, but just like the airlines have done, CP has figured out how to elicit more money from people by parsing things out piecemeal. It's clever, and it's profitable, even if it burns you up a bit. It bothers me a bit, too, in an elitist sense, but having tasted the goods: I DON'T CARE. It's worth the cash to me to help me enjoy it when I go in the future. If that makes me a mean elitist, then I'll wear that badge with pride. This is *not* bread lines in Venezuela we're talking about here: this is an amusement park ride line shortener. One's a necessity of life, the other is completely not.

Sometimes things we want cost more money than we'd like to spend. That's...just too bad.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

I see the fast lane pass as a way to extort more money out of you pocket. And if you don't pay you wait even longer. Older rides like the Blue Streak and Gemini the line is a walk thru. If they are even still there.

You're not wrong. Still, though: it's a price I'm willing to pay in the future.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

What do you miss the most that is no longer there? For me it's probably...Disaster Transport

Oh, *mercy*. Do you miss polio as well? Is your favorite pinball machine Shaq Attaq?

You *miss* DT? The only way I could miss that atrocity is "with every bullet so far". Inexcusably bad ride. I'll bet you'd miss Iron Dragon, too. I mean, *yikes*, man. Really.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

Notice I said the first 2 years the ride was open. With all the props and theming working, that ride was really something else. Maybe not on Disney level, but for a seasonal park in Ohio it was pretty awesome. It's later years, yeah it sucked, only worth the wait in line to cool off until the ac stopped working too.

I rode it when it was new, and I remember it well. Holy *crap* was I pissed that they'd torn down the Fun House for that abomination. It's honestly hard for me to understand how anyone involved with the conception or construction of that ride is even remotely employable today. It's proof that when they screw up, they screw up *hard*. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Again: inexcusably awful. I'd be hard-pressed not to describe it as "unredemptive".

2 weeks later
    #87 7 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

my 2 favorites, are maverick and magnum. still the two best in my book!

Love the Magnum though I do, it's a maximum of one ride for me on it now. That thing, as *terrific* a ride as it is, has not endured the ravages of time well *at all*. It is now a physical *pain* to ride. If they'd simply redo the seating/securing of the passengers, it would once again be marvelous. As it stands? I love the way it *used to be*...but I just can't put my body through that one more than once.

Even Mean Streak doesn't hurt me the way that one does.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Iron dragon was boring unless you were in the very front.
    Show my age does anyone remember the double Ferris Wheel?

I believe you meant to say "Iron Dragon was boring if you had a pulse."

I got chastised for "fixing" a quote from someone else before, so I'm doing it the "right" way, here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boagman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cedar-point-2016-pin-list?tu=boagman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.