(Topic ID: 298998)

CCr ~ Cactus Canyon Remake Hype Thread ~ Lock is lit.. and so am I!

By Concretehardt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,647 posts
  • 619 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Pizza-Bob
  • Topic is favorited by 209 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you in on CCr”

• Yes I’m in on a classic edition 52 votes
    8%
  • Yes I’m in on a special edition 117 votes
    18%
  • Yes I’m in on a limited edition 308 votes
    46%
  • Not interested.. I’m out on this one! 187 votes
    28%

(664 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230624_202510 (resized).jpg
D89E6FDF-0668-4E36-995C-F42E4C06F1E4 (resized).jpeg
8FE40796-3641-400E-93EA-B9A0E3FCD48A.gif
712171808acfe023d0b3b41dd310c0b301966dc5 (resized).jpg
d682efdebb3af34d9abe31cee37c23eb4cac1d58 (resized).jpg
CCR (resized).jpg
c5b6793af0b00a7928dd8841d48eb7ee96d77d58 (resized).jpg
CC77ABF5-10BF-44F5-9AB9-50C2CC5CA30A.gif
Screenshot_20230114_205620_Facebook (resized).jpg
80CBA767-E4F2-48C4-9D72-F4FF3E432D8C (resized).png
b54d2313-2829-459a-b8e2-5bff808193ae_text.gif
20221115_121245 (resized).jpg
Capture1 (resized).JPG
man (resized).jpg
6A782F82-6587-4746-8919-32FBA8B41FE7 (resized).jpeg
94C9F4C9-3244-4477-AA34-0C7A45D3D3DE (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #298 Link to CGC / CCR Presentation video Posted by djsoup (2 years ago)

Post #373 Licensing information from PPS Posted by PPS (2 years ago)

Post #3783 Playfield production details from CGC Posted by Doug_Duba (2 years ago)

Post #5135 Status of code/rules project from one of the contributors. Posted by ifpapinball (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 2 years ago

For comparison : CCC has been made with new quotes from the original voice actor: the major.
If this new code take a new path, this will be something different from CCC with WMS’s like new sequence but will not include the new quotes from CCC for instances maybe.
CCC was a lot of fun because EPTheGeek is a really creative guy. I hope this new project could at least be as fun as CCC.

Anyway, that’s great to see this new remake coming. I look forward for the official announcement.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

The theme is great! Both the sounds and art are awesome! But then, you play it...
The gameplay and shot flow is NOT good. The ramp shots are uninspired and blah. The ball is RIGHT on top of you the instant you shoot a ramp: no ball staggering or paced flow to the playfield. I've owned the machine and I wanted to love it, because it's a gorgeous machine with a great theme. I really tried. Installed CCC, which was definitely cool. But nothing could fix the layout/ramp problems. Got rid of it years ago and have never missed it for one second.
I only post this for everyone who is all excited, and who have read the hype over the years, but have only played CC at a show or for a handful of games. You might want to play it more before you purchase one NIB. It looks the part, but doesn't play that way.

I felt the same way. I was not a huge fan of the layout even with the CCC.

#287 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Anyone have pics of the original saloon doors that were planned for the game?

57E649DF-2B67-469E-9D1C-A1EA57FAE28B (resized).jpeg57E649DF-2B67-469E-9D1C-A1EA57FAE28B (resized).jpeg
#313 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I Knew there would be less hype for this game vs the other remakes, but I am a bit surprised how much less especially considering the lack of NIB games available right now.

I was wondering the same thing. Surprising.

2 months later
#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Fair enough. But I’m not a great player so even it only rises to that level, that’s OK by me. I’m interested in CCr more for the theme and history and always liked the playfield shots. I have a large enough variety in my collection so every game doesn’t have to be super deep or complex.

As an owner of the CC and CCC for a while, I can say the regular software feels a little bit too short to keep the interest. The GMM is great and it’s way too easy to start and happen way to often. The dual is cool but it’s stop the game flow and rythme. The final was disappointing.
It was a bit too shallow for me and I think the code was not that unfinished after thoughts.. It could be compare to other game like SS in modes, yes.

I think that, for a new code, a lot of things should be changed. CCC was great and had a lot of good ideas, so hopefully some will come back with the new software.
Last, the layout is not the best and the drop targets in the middle of the PF can SDTM and frustates at times.
The art on the other side is fantastic.
So pro and cons on this one, but unlike MM, MB and AFM, this one might disappoint some IMO after a while. My 2 cents.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I happen to *love* the drop targets, one of the favorite features for ne.
I agree with you 100% that some will likely be disappointed if they compare the game to MM or AFM. I’ve played CC enough to not be going in blind with unrealistic expectations.
I’ll play the original software occasionally just for fun but admit that if only the original software was included I probably would not have been in on CCr.

I agree, the drop target were fun. One thing to know with the CC is that the drop targets are fragile and they were hitting the playfield on the back due to the strong hit it take. A cliffy could be a good idea to keep a good perfect playfield. Some CC got some wood removed because of the collision after a while.

1 month later
#4548 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Here is a summary I posted in the owners thread:
‘LoserKid Pinball Podcast talks with Josh Sharpe about the additional code package they are developing for Cactus Canyon Remake in the first half of this episode:
https://soundcloud.com/loserkidpinballpodcast/ep-73-big-bad-bart-with-josh-sharpe
Some highlights:
Josh had already been working on the CCr project for a few years and was surprised when CGC made the announcement that Lyman was coming on board. He sends ideas and comments but Lyman’s doing all the work.
CGC had a 100+ page design document for CCr and a big part was how should the game should be finished. Since it was a remake of a 90’s game they felt it was important to keep the “Williams charm” and focus on story and entertainment to create an emotional connection quickly with a wide demographic of players rather than cater primarily to a top tier of tournament players.
It sounds like the Lyman/Josh package will be an extension of existing game play using the world of Cactus Canyon and not a whole new game. They spoke at length to members of the original design team to get an idea of what they had in mind, with Eric on what he had done with Continued and were surprised at how much unused sound and speech there was in the original ROMs. They spent a lot of time getting backstory on the characters and doing a deep dive on the artwork to be able to draw the story into the rules.
Josh compared the software project as putting together a puzzle to complete the game and comparing it to a tree where the Williams code is the tree trunk, the CGC enhanced code added branches with Lyman’s package adding every leaf possible. There is new music and the possibility of additional speech being by the original talent though nothing has been recorded yet. The optional package will be a complete vision rather than a series of incremental releases like we have seen with Stern over time.
Josh was a bit coy when asked if the new code would add code for the topper noting that it was already very well integrated into the CGC code base. Turns out the topper was Doug Duba’s idea.
An interesting listen. Josh talks more about process and vision to truly complete Cactus Canyon rather than specifics of new game play. Worth the time if you like that kind of stuff.“

Regarding the ROM, it’s a bit surprising To hear. I got access to a ROM asset extractor for the animations and there was nothing more than what were in the game and same goes from the sounds assets also available on the pinsound website were it has been extracted as well. … or something has been store somewhere from an unreleased ROM who knows…

For some other games, like the Totan, I’ve seen some « hidden assets » only available on prototype and removed before the 1.0 released and found some « unused sounds too but it’s really really rare

#4550 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

The soundrom has many unused assets - they are in every game.
I found them on my own machine 10 yrs ago when I was playing around with freewpc..

Regarding the sounds, just go check pinsound website.

1 month later
#5224 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Always wondered what he was thinking.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Me too. Tks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noitbe1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread?tu=noitbe1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.