(Topic ID: 298998)

CCr ~ Cactus Canyon Remake Hype Thread ~ Lock is lit.. and so am I!

By Concretehardt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,647 posts
  • 619 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Pizza-Bob
  • Topic is favorited by 209 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you in on CCr”

• Yes I’m in on a classic edition 52 votes
    8%
  • Yes I’m in on a special edition 117 votes
    18%
  • Yes I’m in on a limited edition 308 votes
    46%
  • Not interested.. I’m out on this one! 187 votes
    28%

(664 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230624_202510 (resized).jpg
D89E6FDF-0668-4E36-995C-F42E4C06F1E4 (resized).jpeg
8FE40796-3641-400E-93EA-B9A0E3FCD48A.gif
712171808acfe023d0b3b41dd310c0b301966dc5 (resized).jpg
d682efdebb3af34d9abe31cee37c23eb4cac1d58 (resized).jpg
CCR (resized).jpg
c5b6793af0b00a7928dd8841d48eb7ee96d77d58 (resized).jpg
CC77ABF5-10BF-44F5-9AB9-50C2CC5CA30A.gif
Screenshot_20230114_205620_Facebook (resized).jpg
80CBA767-E4F2-48C4-9D72-F4FF3E432D8C (resized).png
b54d2313-2829-459a-b8e2-5bff808193ae_text.gif
20221115_121245 (resized).jpg
Capture1 (resized).JPG
man (resized).jpg
6A782F82-6587-4746-8919-32FBA8B41FE7 (resized).jpeg
94C9F4C9-3244-4477-AA34-0C7A45D3D3DE (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,647 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 133.
#4501 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I see your point, and I agree with it. It's one thing for the manufacturers to make the LEs and put their prices on them. It's quite another for "flippers" to sell them for way over MSRP and for people to buy them at those inflated prices. Of course, it's a consumer-driven economy so the price is what people are willing to pay, but your argument has validity because the average joes like myself often aren't able to afford these flipped games. If we miss out on the manufacturer's release we basically miss out on getting the game because it's too expensive on the secondary market. That's why I jumped on the Cactus Canyon LE even though I'd never played it. It's a theme I love and I figured the LE would be worth the additional expense. But if the CCLE was priced at $12,000 plus, as I'm seeing some flippers advertise, there's no way I would buy it.

Bingo, lol. That's what I was trying to convey.

#4502 2 years ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I hate the elitism in the pinball community. Why do so many people want things in their games purely for the fact that they know other people can't have them? Stop worrying about what other people have and enjoy your games for what they are...

I like GCGs approach to LEs, CCR is going to be my first LE. I got to play it at Expo and put in an order right then. In my eyes, they put enough extras in the LE to warrant the price. They're the only manufacturer that is actually doing this. I don't plan on reselling the game, so I'm not as concerned about the value it'll hold.

I know most will disagree, but I honestly wouldn't mind if CGC made more LEs available. I'm in it for the additions they added and not the scarcity. I hope they up their LE quantities on their next game.

I'd like to upvote this 100x. Sell all the LE features for all the games. And I have MBr,LE and wouldnt care one bit if they sold the topper, the GI, everything. This "I really only want it because you can't have it" only serves to ruin every hobby it infests. Glue some diamonds to the playfield if it makes you feel better.

My favorite rant was from somebody named Pinmiester or something like that, back when MMr was first announced he went all crybaby that his peepee was going to shrink because there were going to be more MM in the world. While he was crying actual tears, I was crying tears of joy laughing my arse off at him. That was a good thread. There should be no such thing as a limited edition of anything IMO, it brings out the worst in people.

#4503 2 years ago

Manufactured rarity is the worst. Ruins and divides most hobbies.

#4504 2 years ago

I wish cgc would give an update. If it’s months out I’d probably find a filler pin for New Years and sell it before CCr arrives. Anyone hear of any news for shipping the first SEs?

#4505 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I wish cgc would give an update. If it’s months out I’d probably find a filler pin for New Years and sell it before CCr arrives. Anyone hear of any news for shipping the first SEs?

At this point I would not expect any SEs to ship before New Years. A lot of people will have time off around this time that most businesses move at a snails pace until after the new year.

I'd love to be wrong though!

#4506 2 years ago

At this point I would not expect any SEs to ship before New Years. A lot of people will have time off around this time that most businesses move at a snails pace until after the new year.

yeah, I’m not banking on New Years but if it’s going to be feb/march I might buy something. If it’s Jan I will just wait

#4507 2 years ago

Agree. Hopefully we will get an update in January.

#4508 2 years ago

Well, we haven’t heard of anyone getting invoiced for their balance which CGC has limited to being no more than two weeks out so it’s quite likely we don’t see any games in homes before mid-January.

Even if we don’t get an update it sure would be nice to see pictures of games on the line.

#4509 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Even if we don’t get an update it sure would be nice to see pictures of games on the line.

I will settle for smoke signals!

#4510 2 years ago

They're nothing special and I had no intention of sharing them, but being as we're kind of in a news drought. I figured I'd share the few pictures I took of the game during expo. In an attempt to keep that diecast metal hype train rolling.
20211029_151625 (resized).jpg20211029_151625 (resized).jpg20211029_151644 (resized).jpg20211029_151644 (resized).jpg20211029_151647 (resized).jpg20211029_151647 (resized).jpg

#4511 2 years ago

They're nothing special and I had no intention of sharing them, but being as we're kind of in a news drought. I figured I'd share the few pictures I took of the game during expo. In an attempt to keep that diecast metal hype train rolling.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool shots! Thanks for sharing!

#4512 2 years ago

I'm so glad they put the die cast metal train on both models. That's a very cool move on CGCs part. I will definitely be awaiting the mod community coming up with the train tracks for the SE. Everything else on the LE I can pass on, although that apron sure is purdy!!

#4513 2 years ago

In fact, I'd be willing to bet one could probably make the train track mod themselves pretty easy with actual model railroad track from someplace like Hobby Town.

#4514 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'm so glad they put the die cast metal train on both models. That's a very cool move on CGCs part. I will definitely be awaiting the mod community coming up with the train tracks for the SE. Everything else on the LE I can pass on, although that apron sure is purdy!!

It looks cool! But I don’t think I’ll add it. I’d rather see the playfield. I could just be being conservative!

#4515 2 years ago

First thing I think I’ll change is the flipper buttons to Black, will hide nicely on that dark part of the decal. Was anyone else thinking the same ?

#4516 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man is this such a great looking game/piece of art. I imagine the way my wife feels about shoes or plantation shutters tying the house together is how I feel about this game.

Halloween? Ultraman? GZ? Mando? Nothing recent nor on order for the collection has me more excited than this game (and MMrrr in 2023).

Loved playing it local as a teenager. Visual Pinball filled the gap. Was thrilled when I found out sunshine had one, even if it wasn't fully operational whenever we went. Had a blast on it at PinBrew. So excited to have this come home next year!!

#4517 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

First thing I think I’ll change is the flipper buttons to Black, will hide nicely on that dark part of the decal. Was anyone else thinking the same ?

Agreed. Even red is better than yellow on this one imo

#4518 2 years ago

You want to change from pineapple yellow?!?!?!? Sacrilege ClassicHornet .

#4519 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'm so glad they put the die cast metal train on both models. That's a very cool move on CGCs part.

Very nice change indeed. And the train tracks too. Always bugged me they weren’t on the original.

I thought I read somewhere that there are additional decals/art on the remake but haven’t seen detailed pics. Does anyone who has seen the game know the details?

#4520 2 years ago

Where is the best place to buy flippers for the remakes? What size/length are they?
If anyone has a link that would be great. Looking to get a new set of red ones for my MMr
Thanks!
Richard

#4521 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Where is the best place to buy flippers for the remakes? What size/length are they?
If anyone has a link that would be great. Looking to get a new set of red ones for my MMr
Thanks!
Richard

Here are some red options from reputable sites that match your request. They're standard 3 inch flippers.

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-flipper-bat-and-shaft-transparent-red.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-bat-and-shaft-assemblies-no-logo.html

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10110-4

Here is another option that would look nice. I installed them on my Swords of Fury and think they look incredible.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-20-10110-SILX2

#4522 2 years ago

Where is the best place to buy flipper buttons for the remakes? What size/length are they?
Thanks!
Richard

#4523 2 years ago

Here are some red options from reputable sites that match your request. They're standard 3 inch flippers.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-flipper-bat-and-shaft-transparent-red.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-bat-and-shaft-assemblies-no-logo.html
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-10110-4
Here is another option that would look nice. I installed them on my Swords of Fury and think they look incredible.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-20-10110-SILX2

Haha shoot… I meant flipper buttons!

#4524 2 years ago

Well. If you're taking the time to do the buttons. Might as well make them a glowie boi

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=bb_lb_12v

Either way. The same sites I mentioned for the flippers will have buttons. They're probably standard size, but I can't say for certain.

#4525 2 years ago

Are the rules that Josh and Lyman doing a completely new rule set? Are these rules aimed at the more experienced player?

I kind of want this game, but I'm always worried about getting a game that's too easy.

#4526 2 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Are the rules that Josh and Lyman doing a completely new rule set?

Might be too early to know what they all have up their sleeve.

You will be able to chose which version you want to play. Original, CGC version it ships with. Or Lyman's when installed.

LTG : )

#4527 2 years ago

Are the rules that Josh and Lyman doing a completely new rule set? Are these rules aimed at the more experienced player?
I kind of want this game, but I'm always worried about getting a game that's too easy.

The most information I've heard on this subject is on the Loser Kid podcast episode 73, with Josh Sharpe. You can listen to it here: https://ivy.fm/podcast/loserkid-pinball-podcast-214400

From my understanding, it is a new ruleset, but they're using a lot of the same assets already provided, along with ones they discovered that were in the ROMs but never implemented. They are trying to make it still feel like a Bally/Williams game though, so I wouldn't expect it to be as deep as modern games.

That being said, Lyman is a hell of a player and choose to work on this project. I expect he'll make it good enough to were he is happy with it. I don't think CGC are pressuring him to make it a specific way either. After all, they did their own completed version of the code.

#4528 2 years ago

This podcast link is a interview with Josh, and may answer your questions.

From what I understand they are building in the original code, making it more complex and interesting like the original coders may have done initially in 1998 if they had more time to complete the game.

https://m.soundcloud.com/loserkidpinballpodcast/ep-73-big-bad-bart-with-josh-sharpeHaha

#4529 2 years ago

Can buy them anywhere, I wouldn’t go lighted buttons…less is more imo. Black will tie in really well on that part of the cabinet. Or maybe one yellow and one green button to signify the PINEAPPLE

#4532 2 years ago

Here is a summary I posted in the owners thread:

‘LoserKid Pinball Podcast talks with Josh Sharpe about the additional code package they are developing for Cactus Canyon Remake in the first half of this episode:

https://soundcloud.com/loserkidpinballpodcast/ep-73-big-bad-bart-with-josh-sharpe

Some highlights:
Josh had already been working on the CCr project for a few years and was surprised when CGC made the announcement that Lyman was coming on board. He sends ideas and comments but Lyman’s doing all the work.

CGC had a 100+ page design document for CCr and a big part was how should the game should be finished. Since it was a remake of a 90’s game they felt it was important to keep the “Williams charm” and focus on story and entertainment to create an emotional connection quickly with a wide demographic of players rather than cater primarily to a top tier of tournament players.

It sounds like the Lyman/Josh package will be an extension of existing game play using the world of Cactus Canyon and not a whole new game. They spoke at length to members of the original design team to get an idea of what they had in mind, with Eric on what he had done with Continued and were surprised at how much unused sound and speech there was in the original ROMs. They spent a lot of time getting backstory on the characters and doing a deep dive on the artwork to be able to draw the story into the rules.

Josh compared the software project as putting together a puzzle to complete the game and comparing it to a tree where the Williams code is the tree trunk, the CGC enhanced code added branches with Lyman’s package adding every leaf possible. There is new music and the possibility of additional speech being by the original talent though nothing has been recorded yet. The optional package will be a complete vision rather than a series of incremental releases like we have seen with Stern over time.

Josh was a bit coy when asked if the new code would add code for the topper noting that it was already very well integrated into the CGC code base. Turns out the topper was Doug Duba’s idea.

An interesting listen. Josh talks more about process and vision to truly complete Cactus Canyon rather than specifics of new game play. Worth the time if you like that kind of stuff.“

#4533 2 years ago

Or maybe one yellow and one green button to signify the PINEAPPLE

Or....

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#4534 2 years ago

Still excited moving next week hopefully we get
Some invoices soon.

#4535 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Some invoices soon.

Yeah, me too. Once they start going out, then the excitement will really hit for me.

#4536 2 years ago

Can buy them anywhere, I wouldn’t go lighted buttons…less is more imo. Black will tie in really well on that part of the cabinet. Or maybe one yellow and one green button to signify the PINEAPPLE

Hey, I will do this in honor of this thread!!

#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Some invoices soon.

That would be great!

#4538 2 years ago

I honestly don’t get the pineapple references but when I saw this on one of my tiki groups on FB I immediately thought of you guys.

E013631E-A9AA-464B-A23D-919067E1FD41 (resized).jpegE013631E-A9AA-464B-A23D-919067E1FD41 (resized).jpeg
#4539 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I honestly don’t get the pineapple references but when I saw this on one of my tiki groups on FB I immediately thought of you guys.[quoted image]

Haha. I don’t get the references either.

#4540 2 years ago

Just got my LE invoice

#4541 2 years ago
Quoted from dog:

Just got my LE invoice

Nice!

#4542 2 years ago
Quoted from dog:

Just got my LE invoice

Congrats!

Interesting though. I thought the first batch of games were supposed to be SEs. Maybe overseas customers are getting LEs first?

Let’s hope your distributor is abiding by the two week rule.

#4543 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Interesting though. I thought the first batch of games were supposed to be SEs. Maybe overseas customers are getting LEs first?

Anything shipping around the world will take twice as long ...

#4544 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Anything shipping around the world will take twice as long ...

Of course. Just didn’t expect that we would see balance requests for LEs before SEs.

#4545 2 years ago
Quoted from dog:

Just got my LE invoice

So your distributor is requesting final payment for your CCLE ?

#4546 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Yeah, that's definitely at odds with the information provided by CGC.

#4547 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

maybe feeling out the market and seeing if there are cancellations ?
it is odd .... I'm not expecting mine till spring (hopefully)

#4548 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Here is a summary I posted in the owners thread:
‘LoserKid Pinball Podcast talks with Josh Sharpe about the additional code package they are developing for Cactus Canyon Remake in the first half of this episode:
https://soundcloud.com/loserkidpinballpodcast/ep-73-big-bad-bart-with-josh-sharpe
Some highlights:
Josh had already been working on the CCr project for a few years and was surprised when CGC made the announcement that Lyman was coming on board. He sends ideas and comments but Lyman’s doing all the work.
CGC had a 100+ page design document for CCr and a big part was how should the game should be finished. Since it was a remake of a 90’s game they felt it was important to keep the “Williams charm” and focus on story and entertainment to create an emotional connection quickly with a wide demographic of players rather than cater primarily to a top tier of tournament players.
It sounds like the Lyman/Josh package will be an extension of existing game play using the world of Cactus Canyon and not a whole new game. They spoke at length to members of the original design team to get an idea of what they had in mind, with Eric on what he had done with Continued and were surprised at how much unused sound and speech there was in the original ROMs. They spent a lot of time getting backstory on the characters and doing a deep dive on the artwork to be able to draw the story into the rules.
Josh compared the software project as putting together a puzzle to complete the game and comparing it to a tree where the Williams code is the tree trunk, the CGC enhanced code added branches with Lyman’s package adding every leaf possible. There is new music and the possibility of additional speech being by the original talent though nothing has been recorded yet. The optional package will be a complete vision rather than a series of incremental releases like we have seen with Stern over time.
Josh was a bit coy when asked if the new code would add code for the topper noting that it was already very well integrated into the CGC code base. Turns out the topper was Doug Duba’s idea.
An interesting listen. Josh talks more about process and vision to truly complete Cactus Canyon rather than specifics of new game play. Worth the time if you like that kind of stuff.“

Regarding the ROM, it’s a bit surprising To hear. I got access to a ROM asset extractor for the animations and there was nothing more than what were in the game and same goes from the sounds assets also available on the pinsound website were it has been extracted as well. … or something has been store somewhere from an unreleased ROM who knows…

For some other games, like the Totan, I’ve seen some « hidden assets » only available on prototype and removed before the 1.0 released and found some « unused sounds too but it’s really really rare

#4549 2 years ago

The soundrom has many unused assets - they are in every game.
I found them on my own machine 10 yrs ago when I was playing around with freewpc..

#4550 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

The soundrom has many unused assets - they are in every game.
I found them on my own machine 10 yrs ago when I was playing around with freewpc..

Regarding the sounds, just go check pinsound website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, CT
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

There are 6,647 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread/page/91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.