(Topic ID: 298998)

CCr ~ Cactus Canyon Remake Hype Thread ~ Lock is lit.. and so am I!

By Concretehardt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,647 posts
  • 619 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Pizza-Bob
  • Topic is favorited by 209 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you in on CCr”

• Yes I’m in on a classic edition 52 votes
    8%
  • Yes I’m in on a special edition 117 votes
    18%
  • Yes I’m in on a limited edition 308 votes
    46%
  • Not interested.. I’m out on this one! 187 votes
    28%

(664 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230624_202510 (resized).jpg
D89E6FDF-0668-4E36-995C-F42E4C06F1E4 (resized).jpeg
8FE40796-3641-400E-93EA-B9A0E3FCD48A.gif
712171808acfe023d0b3b41dd310c0b301966dc5 (resized).jpg
d682efdebb3af34d9abe31cee37c23eb4cac1d58 (resized).jpg
CCR (resized).jpg
c5b6793af0b00a7928dd8841d48eb7ee96d77d58 (resized).jpg
CC77ABF5-10BF-44F5-9AB9-50C2CC5CA30A.gif
Screenshot_20230114_205620_Facebook (resized).jpg
80CBA767-E4F2-48C4-9D72-F4FF3E432D8C (resized).png
b54d2313-2829-459a-b8e2-5bff808193ae_text.gif
20221115_121245 (resized).jpg
Capture1 (resized).JPG
man (resized).jpg
6A782F82-6587-4746-8919-32FBA8B41FE7 (resized).jpeg
94C9F4C9-3244-4477-AA34-0C7A45D3D3DE (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,647 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 133.
#5651 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Has CGC ever shown a pic of their assembly line? I don’t remember ever seeing a pic of the inside of their factory when they were making the last 3 games.

Yes, there were some photos in the MMr era... it looked like they were working in the aisles of their warehouse area. I'm sure they have evolved since then with their multiple games... but I don't know if anyone has ever said if they keep a dedicated pinball line established - or if they repurpose pinball and arcade work as needed.

#5652 2 years ago

And as much as I would love saloon doors I highly doubt that it will become reality.

I will be happy if CCr comes with complete code and CGCs awesome enhancements

Lyman/Josh code 3 is something that I am sad and confused about

My hope is that CGC will be kind enough to provide a clear statement of the optional code possibility ?

A realistic timeline and yes or no ? Would mean a lot.

This decision should have been made by now.
I am still devastated about the loss of Lyman.

Doug, Josh , CGC, ?

Please let us know your intentions ?

#5653 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

And as much as I would love saloon doors I highly doubt that it will become reality.
I will be happy if CCr comes with complete code and CGCs awesome enhancements
Lyman/Josh code 3 is something that I am sad and confused about
My hope is that CGC will be kind enough to provide a clear statement of the optional code possibility ?
A realistic timeline and yes or no ? Would mean a lot.
This decision should have been made by now.
I am still devastated about the loss of Lyman.
Doug, Josh , CGC, ?
Please let us know your intentions ?

The upgrade kit will be released. Josh hinted at that a couple week ago and Ryan has confirmed it. The contents, pricing and availability of the kit have not been announced.

This late in the game CGC absolutely knows what they have planned. Even if the details have all been worked out CGC would be crazy to announce them right now. Let CGC work on getting the game out and then announce the upgrade when it’s finished and ready to ship. Whatever it is it will sell well. At minimum I can’t imagine any LE owner not wanting the kit.

There is a lot of speculation (or perhaps wishful thinking) that the hardware will be a saloon door mechanism. It makes the most sense given the history of the game. But there are certainly engineering challenges in creating a mechanism that can be retrofitted to the playfield by the average pinball owner without requiring woodwork to the playfield itself. Driver support needs to be added for whatever device it might be and of course related game play needs to be coded. Lyman’s death certainly changed whatever timeframe that existed but Josh and CGC are committed to making CCr the best game it can be.

Good things come to those who wait.

#5654 2 years ago

Glad they are waiting to make game perfect. I can wait for a polished machine. I have an attack from mars remake. I only had to adjust one leaf switch. Great quality!

#5655 2 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I heard that there is a mechanism that didn't work as well as Doug wanted so he is having it remade with some modifications.
Robert

I heard similarly this morning and that with part delays production may not ramp up for a while

#5656 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The upgrade kit will be released. Josh hinted at that a couple week ago and Ryan has confirmed it. The contents, pricing and availability of the kit have not been announced.
This late in the game CGC absolutely knows what they have planned. Even if the details have all been worked out CGC would be crazy to announce them right now. Let CGC work on getting the game out and then announce the upgrade when it’s finished and ready to ship. Whatever it is it will sell well. At minimum I can’t imagine any LE owner not wanting the kit.
There is a lot of speculation (or perhaps wishful thinking) that the hardware will be a saloon door mechanism. It makes the most sense given the history of the game. But there are certainly engineering challenges in creating a mechanism that can be retrofitted to the playfield by the average pinball owner without requiring woodwork to the playfield itself. Driver support needs to be added for whatever device it might be and of course related game play needs to be coded. Lyman’s death certainly changed whatever timeframe that existed but Josh and CGC are committed to making CCr the best game it can be.
Good things come to those who wait.

I would love to see the saloon doors. That area has always looked unfinished to me. The doors would add an extra challenge, be great theme integration, and make the floating head of Bart make more sense if he was peering over the doors.The game is going to be a lot of fun either way, but I'm hoping the doors are in the kit.

I haven't looked at the pics of the remakes closely, but I would imagine they would have to give some clues on the playfield if the doors were a future reality. I don't think they would design something where pinball owners are drilling holes on the top of the playfield. I would think there would be some anchor points for some hardware or something like that you could see.

#5657 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me when Cactus Canyon was unofficially known/announced to the general public? Not talking about the SFGE last August but much earlier than that.

#5658 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can anyone tell me when Cactus Canyon was unofficially known/announced to the general public? Not talking about the SFGE last August but much earlier than that.

October 1998?

#5659 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Your question is self-conflicting... 'unofficially' and 'announced' are kind of conflicting things.

It's like you are trying to ask 'when where the rumors considered confirmed'? CGC never confirmed anything.. it was just the rumors were just consistent that was the consensus.

#5660 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your question is self-conflicting... 'unofficially' and 'announced' are kind of conflicting things.
It's like you are trying to ask 'when where the rumors considered confirmed'? CGC never confirmed anything.. it was just the rumors were just consistent that was the consensus.

Sorry. “Unofficially” and “announced” are clearly different.

I’m looking for the accepted early time frame of when the community knew/strongly suspected CCr was indeed the fourth remake. Certainly not when Rick confirmed that seven or so remakes were in the pipeline but when did CCr become the odds on favorite (probably sometime during the MBR cycle?). Pretty sure the official confirmation was last August and of course the official announcement was in October. I’m just looking to fill in a general (estimated) timeline.

#5661 2 years ago

Lol. Yes, of course. I meant the remake.

#5662 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m looking for the accepted early time frame of when the community knew/strongly suspected CCr was indeed the fourth remake. Certainly not when Rick confirmed that seven or so remakes were in the pipeline but when did CCr become the odds on favorite (probably sometime during the MBR cycle?). Pretty sure the official confirmation was last August and of course the official announcement was in October. I’m just looking to fill in an estimated timeline.

Its been a couple years since the rumors started. My guess is CGC allocated funds to the design/development team yet ignored the balance of the project, and got caught with their pants down, which is why we haven't seen a manufacturing line (because there isn't one)

#5663 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m looking for the accepted early time frame of when the community knew/strongly suspected CCr was indeed the fourth remake. Certainly not when Rick confirmed that seven or so remakes were in the pipeline but when did CCr become the odds on favorite (probably sometime during the MBR cycle?). Pretty sure the official confirmation was last August and of course the official announcement was in October. I’m just looking to fill in a general (estimated) timeline.

Yeah I don't know if you can pin down a exact time when a rumor is more of a "definitely going to happen" rumor over just a regular rumor. It's been kind of known for a couple years now that this was most likely the next remake. Not sure how this info gets out anyways. Like when Godzilla came out, People had been talking about that for months before it came out even though Stern never said anything about Godzilla. Same with Jersey Jack Pinball and Toy story coming out as the next title, That rumor has been going around for about two years now yet not a word from Jersey Jack about that title.

#5664 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If anyone from CGC is watching I hope the apron cards for the LE show the same credit info as on the SE (with changes necessitated by the flasher position). It’s a perfect update to the original. The old/new credits to those that made both the original and the remake possible should be showcased on every game. Be nice to see everyone else on the teams be credited via flipper code too.
[quoted image]

Wow, that’s a nice touch! I never noticed the SE apron had that. It is not on the CGC web page I don’t believe.
Thanks for sharing!
Richard

#5665 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its been a couple years since the rumors started. My guess is CGC allocated funds to the design/development team yet ignored the balance of the project, and got caught with their pants down, which is why we haven't seen a manufacturing line (because there isn't one)

Nah - cgc knows what they are doing with bringing a product to market. They don’t overlook such thing - they do however march to their own drum when it comes to delivery though.

CGC didn’t boast their facilities before either and their magic elves still made games. No reason to suspect anything nefarious about that

#5666 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Wow, that’s a nice touch! I never noticed the SE apron had that. It is not on the CGC web page I don’t believe.

I don’t think it was on the prototypes either. Just one of the little things CGC is doing for the game they didn’t have to do.

#5667 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t think it was on the prototypes either. Just one of the little things CGC is doing for the game they didn’t have to do.

Nice, glad they did it. Looks great. Classy for sure.
RIP Lyman
Richard

#5668 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nah - cgc knows what they are doing with bringing a product to market. They don’t overlook such thing - they do however march to their own drum when it comes to delivery though.
CGC didn’t boast their facilities before either and their magic elves still made games. No reason to suspect anything nefarious about that

Never said it was nefarious...

#5669 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Never said it was nefarious...

to suggest they don't have manufacturing ability - after they have already announced (and missed) deadlines and trying to say they haven't 'allocated funds' to build it... and 'caught with their pants down' as if such a need and it's timing is a suprise.. months after they were already supposed to be shipping is trying to suggest either epic ineptitude or deception. It's not either.

#5670 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Glad they are waiting to make game perfect. I can wait for a polished machine. I have an attack from mars remake. I only had to adjust one leaf switch. Great quality!

Agreed. Any CGC game I’ve ever owned has always been very low maintenance and the playfields remind me of old. Very good quality cabinets and overall build quality!! Honestly the “shallow” older mid 90s games are the ones that really have that pinball magic from the glory days of Bally/Williams for me. Very excited for CCrLE!

#5671 2 years ago

I think the build quality, attention to detail, QC, etc...of CGC is the best in pinball. I appreciate that they take their time to get things right.

I'm never in a hurry to get a game, or worry about when a game will arrive. I know the game is coming at some point, and will be a lot of fun.

#5672 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

think the build quality, attention to detail, QC, etc...of CGC is the best in pinball. I appreciate that they take their time to get things right.

I'm never in a hurry to get a game, or worry about when a game will arrive. I know the game is coming at some point, and will be a lot of fun.

Totally agree! Any delays are well worth it when the finished product is top notch and relatively bullet proof. The alternative is for CGC to sacrifice quality for the sake of a schedule which they're not willing to do. Obviously, it would be great if both things came together (i.e., schedule and quality) but if one has to be sacrificed, I'd rather have the scheduled busted than quality suffering. So I have no issue waiting.

#5673 2 years ago

So are these still not shipped out yet?

#5674 2 years ago
Quoted from rue_:

A few games have trickled out of the factory based upon the forum posts I have read but the numbers so far are minimal I believe. Haven't read about anyone on the forum getting "invoiced" for their game yet which would indicate a production ramp up.

#5675 2 years ago
Quoted from rue_:

I would guess 10-20 units have left the factory to distributors. 1 or 2 se’s per distributor, up to them if they want it for showroom or to sell. So, I think there are a few lucky ducks out there that either have it or will next week.

#5676 2 years ago
Quoted from rue_:

Some initial games have gone to distributors for display / few initial sales.

I’m aware of a few retail preorders that have received final invoices and estimated ship dates.

Production isn’t ramped up to where CGC wants it for a couple reasons but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Good things come to those who wait! The Cactus Canyon Express will soon have whistle stops all over the country!

#5677 2 years ago

My favorite local barcade, Reboot in Dunedin Florida, just got a new CC. So I guess they’re going to locations and distributors now.

#5678 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

My favorite local barcade, Reboot in Dunedin Florida, just got a new CC. So I guess they’re going to locations and distributors now.

Nice!

#5679 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

So I guess they’re going to locations and distributors now.

I watch the Minnesota pinball Facebook page every day to see when they pop up.

LTG : )

#5680 2 years ago

Let’s see if I have this right.

1. There’s the original code from 1998
2. There’s the original code plus what it would have been like had it been finished back in the day. Courtesy of the great Lyman RIP
3. There’s completely new code that has elements from CCcontinued plus some other modes Josh sharpe and Lyman were working on and almost got it to where they were happy with it. Now to be completed solely by Josh. To be had at a later date unknown at this time and will more than likely have a cost associated.

Is that about right?

#5681 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

2. There’s the original code plus what it would have been like had it been finished back in the day. Courtesy of the great Lyman RIP
3. There’s completely new code that has elements from CCcontinued plus some other modes Josh sharpe and Lyman were working on and almost got it to where they were happy with it. Now to be completed solely by Josh. To be had at a later date unknown at this time and will more than likely have a cost associated.
Is that about right?

Sort of. Point number 3 has had no info given out about it. There could be nothing of CContinued. Nobody but Josh knows. In any case it was always to be had at a later date and was never purported to be ready at launch, regardless of the passing of Lyman RIP.

#5682 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Is that about right?

Except for #2, it is what the original design team envisioned. I don't know who did it. If it was Lyman or not.

#5683 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Sort of. Point number 3 has had no info given out about it. There could be nothing of CContinued. Nobody but Josh knows. In any case it was always to be had at a later date and was never purported to be ready at launch, regardless of the passing of Lyman RIP.

Quoted from LTG:

Except for #2, it is what the original design team envisioned. I don't know who did it. If it was Lyman or no

Well that clears that up ...

#5684 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Is that about right?

Pretty sure Lyman did not do #2. (He may have added some stuff to the OS). I assume Sam Zehr did most of it.

Lyman was the primary (sole?) programmer for #3. Josh is not a programmer so someone else will actually code whatever Josh has on the roadmap. #3 will be part of the optional upgrade kit for which contents, pricing and availability are currently unknown. From Josh’s podcast comment on what they had planned it did not sound like elements from CCC were in the plan.

#5685 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Pretty sure Lyman did not do #2. (He may have added some stuff to the OS). I assume Sam Zehr did most of it.
Lyman was the primary (sole?) programmer for #3. Josh is not a programmer so someone else will actually code whatever Josh has on the roadmap. #3 will be part of the optional upgrade kit for which contents, pricing and availability are currently unknown. From Josh’s podcast comment on what they had planned it did not sound like elements from CCC were in the plan.

I just assumed Lyman was not involved in the #2 code. But maybe he was a bit?
If the SE credits Lyman as a coder (as in that pic in the thread with Lyman Sheats listed as a new coder) maybe he was?

#5686 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Cowboys vs aliens would be epic!

#5687 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

So, is David Thiel doing new music for CCr?

an interesting speculation.

#5688 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Cowboys vs aliens would be epic!

I’m hoping for Drunk Multiball also; or is that in the original code ?

#5689 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

No it’s not

#5690 2 years ago

Casual players who may have played the original game in recent years may conflate Cactus Canyon and Cactus Canyon Continued (it wasn’t always clear at shows if you were playing a game with CCC or not) and, because of wording in the CCr feature matrix, the included “enhanced” code with the future/optional Josh/Lyman enhancements can be confusing.

From the Owners Club FAQ:

“Developed by Eric Priepke, Cactus Canyon Continued added color DMD support, additional code including multiple Polly Peril ‘episodes’, fan favorite modes Drunk Multiball, Marshall Multiball, Cowboys verses Aliens, flashbacks to Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness and Monster Bash incorporating original sounds and graphics from those popular WPC games and more transforming and effectively finishing the game. See https://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/index.php/New_Things_in_..._Continued for more details.”

I *think* there are additional Polly Peril modes in the enhanced CCr code but don’t know if they are the same as in CCC (I have not played the CCr code yet). The things I mentioned are my favorites from CCC but if you had to pick one mode from CCC I think most would pick Drunk Multiball and it would be fantastic if that makes it into the game.

#5691 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I’ll take that as a confirmation!

Fantastic news!

#5692 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Quoted from alveolus:

Fantastic news!

So, I'll assume that Daudioguy is David Thiel? Pardon the possible ignorant question.

#5693 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

So, I'll assume that Daudioguy is David Thiel? Pardon the possible ignorant question.

Google is your friend!

#5694 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Yes indeed

#5695 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Let me clarify.

I was engaged to 'fill in some holes' in the Cactus Canyon sound package. The existing sound package is largely the original work. The new work was highly constrained by the client to match the spirit of that work.

David Thiel aka 'daudioguy'

#5696 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

Yes I’m hoping they use that too. Such a cool mode.

#5697 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Let me clarify.
I was engaged to 'fill in some holes' in the Cactus Canyon sound package. The existing sound package is largely the original work. The new work was highly constrained by the client to match the spirit of that work.

Thanks for clarifying David, it’s very much appreciated!

#5698 2 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Let me clarify.

Yes thanks for responding and your work on the project!

#5699 2 years ago

Have any home owner taken possession of an SE yet? I am anxious awaiting my call that mine is ready from Kurt been playing my MBr and AFMr to hold me over!

#5700 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Have any home owner taken possession of an SE yet?

See post 5517

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,800 (Firm)
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blue Bell, PA
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

There are 6,647 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread/page/114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.