• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PM_Jeremy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Sound-Stage-archive.org-orpalis-reduced-vhigh-1200.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 6 years ago

I looked at a friend's SS last night. The 10 point relay keeps cycling because the coil is not being activated. This is for player 1 and player 2, same issue for both. If I manually trip the coil, the relay stops cycling. Anyone know what relay is supposed to fire the coil, or any other ideas?

#2 6 years ago

Do you have the schematic? Not on IPDB.

#3 6 years ago

Hi pinwhoo
what is "keeps cycling" ? and what is "manually trip the coil" ? Do You mean "the relay pulls-in immediately (at what time in 'toggling-on the pin - starting a game - resetting - kicking-out the first ball') and stays steady pulling forever" ? -- You then break it open ? Greetings Rolf

Here https://archive.org/ we can search for Sound Stage ... and land here https://archive.org/details/soundstageschematics --- I happened to put the stuff together some time ago and I show it here --- IT IS ARCHIVE.ORG stuff. You may have to make Yourself an copy (righthand-side mouseclick - then save target as ...). Greetings Rolf

0Sound-Stage-archive.org-orpalis-reduced-vhigh-1200.pdf0Sound-Stage-archive.org-orpalis-reduced-vhigh-1200.pdf

#4 6 years ago

Have you used an ohm meter on that coil to verify it's good? If it's not good the relay will keep telling it to go, but the solenoid will not do anything.

#5 6 years ago

I do have schematics.
As long as the 10s units are at zeros, the game will reset ok and put a ball in play. Everything works ok until a 10 point switch (slingshots) are hit. So basically when the 10s coil for player 1 or 2 is supposed to active, it doesn't and the 00-90 relay keeps cycling until it get a signal back that it did.
If I use my finger to press in the plunger (manually trip it) the digit rolls to the next number (or all the way to zero upon game reset) and all is fine.

#6 6 years ago

Briehl - I haven't ohm the coil because it happening on both player 1 and 2. Could they both be bad, I guess so.

#7 6 years ago

Update. The 10 are now working. It was two fold. There is a jumper wire from player 1 to player 2. That was a bad solder joint. Re flowed and player 2 was fine. Then found that the wire that comes out of the coil and attaches to the lug had come off. Resolder that and player one was working.
Of course in the mean time the 100s coil for both player 1 and 2 stopped working. Didn't have time to look further last night, but hoping it may be same sort or issue.
So they can at least play the game, but the 100s don't score. Hopefully I can get back there soon and take a look.

#8 6 years ago

Nice detective work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cc-sound-stage-10-point-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.