You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7481 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi All,

I'm working on a Stern Rawhide.

The game has 2 score reels that are giving me some trouble. These are the reels that use molex edge connectors. As I'm not terribly familiar with these finicky beasts, maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

Both reels are the 10,000 reels. On player 1, when the reel rolls over from 110000 to 120000, the coil stays energized. and on player 4, when going from 100000 to 110000 the reel skips and goes straight to 120000 instead.

The fingers appear to be lined up properly (I'm guessing) and I don't see any obvious burn marks on the traces.

???

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

On player 1, when the reel rolls over from 110000 to 120000, the coil stays energized

Does the 1000 relay stay energized when this happens?

Quoted from DropTarget:

on player 4, when going from 100000 to 110000 the reel skips and goes straight to 120000 instead.

Does the player 4 10,000 solenoid energize once or twice when this happens?

#3 1 year ago

Hi Howard.

No and No.

Although, while hitting the 5000pt target just now i=on player 4, the reel momentarily stopped on 10,000. When it did, the solenoid stayed energized until the reel finally made it's way to 20000, then the coil released. So it sounds like the same problem on both reels. It appears that this only happens after 100,000pts are scored, but I can't confirm that right now.

I've also noticed a small crack on the fingers of both of those reels (the side with 4 contacts).

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

on player 4, when going from 100000 to 110000 the reel skips and goes straight to 120000 instead.

Quoted from HowardR:

Does the player 4 10,000 solenoid energize once or twice when this happens?

Surprising that the 10,000 reel could advance twice without its solenoid energizing either once or twice. Or are you saying that its solenoid energizes three times?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Surprising that the 10,000 reel could advance twice without its solenoid energizing either once or twice. Or are you saying that its solenoid energizes three times?

No, Just once, the reel either hangs up on 1 and the coil stay energized, or the reel skips over 1 and stops on 2. This happens even when advancing the reel manually.

#6 1 year ago

I suspect that this is the cause..... the arm has a crack, which is is forcing the outer two fingers away from the traces.

I'm trying to find replacements. If I can't find any, I wonder what the best way would be to repair the existing part. Perhaps fully break it off from the cracked part and glue it back on flush? Sounds risky. Maybe unrivet the fingers, adjust the angle and re-rivit, but they are sitting in a track (on the back) which might make that option unfeasible.

Any suggestions? This issue must have arisen before.

IMG_7481 (resized).jpgIMG_7481 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago

I would try 2 part apoxy and glue it back together. If that does not work, pm me for a replacement.

#8 1 year ago

Those Score reel PCBs with the wipers and broken edge connectors is why I will never buy another CC pin.

So. Damn. Finicky.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I would try 2 part apoxy and glue it back together.

Thanks. I glued it earlier today, hopefully it will work. I’ll know more tonight when I get home. Would you happen to have 2 available?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Those Score reel PCBs with the wipers and broken edge connectors is why I will never buy another CC pin.
So. Damn. Finicky.

Yep. I agree! How many Chicago Coin machines could be saved if a better replacement were made. Those score reels are junk. Even if the wiper is perfect, it’s near impossible to tweak alignment and tightness/looseness of the center screw for them to operate properly over time.

#11 1 year ago

Are you volunteering?

It seems like those plastic arms would be easy to 3D print.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks. I glued it earlier today,

I used a drop of DAP super glue and closed the gap the best I could using a clamp. That seems to have done the trick! I'll let you know if the fix does not hold. Both reels are functioning properly.

Now to find out why the high score doesn't add reward. The jones plug is connected and high score pins are set.

-W

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Now to find out why the high score doesn't add reward. The jones plug is connected and high score pins are set.

I think I see the problem, but won't be able to verify it until all the score reels have been replaced again. I'm in the middle of cleaning up the sluggish ones. stby.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cc-score-reel-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.